DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

The only reason to use an iPad is if you want Zipline functionality in AutoPilot or DJI Ground Control.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I just want to verify something. If you buy the iPad Mini 4 cell model and don't activate the cell, the GPS should still work just fine? I'm not really interested in paying extra for data on the tablet, just want full capabilities.

I have the Ipad 4 mini cell model dedicated just to use for the Mavic. When I installed the the DJI Go 4 app and opened it for the first time on the Ipad it asked me before it first launched DJI would like to use location and I tapped yes for this option. The Ipad has had no sim at all been put in the whole time I have had it and every time you open the DJI Go 4 app to fly the maps appear and the location GPS symbol appears on the Ipad also. To clarify no sim, no Wifi on, no cell signal and you still get GPS for flying. One thing to do is to make sure you get the correct maps and make sure you have both of the Goggle map apps installed on the Ipad first before you go flying. The Ipad will come with one of the Goggle maps already loaded from factory so just go into the app store and download the other one for free. You will see in the app store the app you have and the other one as they have a different logo on the face of them. It is free to download.

Reactions: Phillip MA
But you may already own a portion of what you need: a phone that can create a Wi-Fi hotspot. If you have that then you can buy a wifi pad, fly and get maps, GPS etc. ......works fine for the last 15 flights I've made w/ Just a Wi-Fi iPad

Last edited:
iPad Mini 4 has been a revelation for me with its larger screen. Can't believe what an improvement it is. I use a Hotspot.

Found K1 Shield tablet and flew with that now I'm spoiled

Sent from [emoji211]

Try and Ipad Mini 4 and you'll be even more spoiled. I have both and there's no comparison. The Ipad Mini 4 is a far better device for this purpose EXCEPT for the added functionality of HDMI mini port on the Shield.

I have been using a iPad mini 4 LTE. It fits into the controller and I feel the screen is the perfect size. Battery life has not been a problem.

Actually I had posted that. The link is to the wrong tablet. The one I tested is the CHUWI Hi8 PRO, which has the Intel Z8300 process:

Chuwi Hi8 Pro 8inch 1920*1200 Tablets Dual OS Windows10 + Android 5.1 Intel Cherry Trail Z8300 Quad Core 2G/32G HDMI Tablet PCs-in Tablet PCs from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Believe it or not, this tablet actually works. The issue I had with it is that the screen is not bright enough at around 350 nits. It's a pretty sweet little tablet at that price for Full HD screen with both Android 5.0 and Windows 10 with a proper registration key. This thing works just fine if you need it only for HDMI out, but the screen is not bright enough and contrast is so so.

I ended up getting a shield k1, but I'm sending it back. It doesn't work as well as my Ipad Mini 4; although I see that the very latest DJI Go 4 has addressed some issues such as true MPH sp)eed and stability issues with Nougat (I haven't fully tested Nougat)

Does anyone have a pic of a mini4 attached to a std Mavic pro RC?

can't seem to figure out how you fly this config.......

I just bought one of these today and i can't get the remote to connect.
Any suggestions? I actually got it to connect once but haven't been able to since.

There is an issue with all Android machines that I believe requires you to unplug and re plug every time you want to connect. This will result in a pop up asking what app you want to connect. Select connect Just Once and you will connect. DJI is supposed to fix this in V4 of the SDK which was supposed to be available in January. They aren't saying when it will be out as they are trying to resolve bigger issues with their new sensor aircraft systems (Phantom, Inspire and Mavic).

I just bought one of these today and i can't get the remote to connect.
Any suggestions? I actually got it to connect once but haven't been able to since.
try turning on developer mode and USB debugging, that helps a lot with connectivity and latency.
Regards,
-d.

There is an issue with all Android machines that I believe requires you to unplug and re plug every time you want to connect. This will result in a pop up asking what app you want to connect. Select connect Just Once and you will connect. DJI is supposed to fix this in V4 of the SDK which was supposed to be available in January. They aren't saying when it will be out as they are trying to resolve bigger issues with their new sensor aircraft systems (Phantom, Inspire and Mavic).
Get no pop ups like that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000