DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best video format for iOS Editing?

automatt

Reactions
I was planning on working out through trial and error the best quality formats and workflow for video editing on an iOS device and I thought I might reach out to the group.

My first attempt shooting 4K video at 30fps on the Mavic left me with files that the iOS device complained about being in the wrong format. It could play them but not edit them at all, so I want to work out the proper settings and workflow preflight.

Since then I've been shooting 1080p at 30fps on the device, then using the GJI GO 4 app to transfer the videos over to my iPhone 7 wirelessly (through the device and remote controller), then editing on the iPhone with iMovie. This gives nice 1080 video but it does take a while to transfer longer videos. I had also worried that the DJI GO app was downsampling or otherwise processing the videos during the transfer step, but I'm not sure if it is or not, or how to tell.

What I'm planning to do is shoot 4K and transfer to the phone via an SD to Lightning adapter. Is anyone doing this? Are there limitations or settings to use to avoid getting videos into the phone that can be played but not edited?

I know I could load the videos from card to my Mac and edit them there in Final Cut, but I'm looking to find a workflow that is light and portable, iOS-only, to match the Mavic.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'm happy to summarize my findings after I get some time to experiment this weekend.

I'm just about to start doing this since I just ungraded to an iPad Pro, which can handle 4K. I haven't had time to do any flying lately, so I haven't been able to try it yet.

I do think LumaFusion is a much better video editor for iOS than iMovie.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu