DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better compression?

npenaphoto

Reactions
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that the compression on the Mavic is really bad compared to the Phantoms. You can mostly see that when shooting very detailed areas like trees. Do you think it would be possible for DJI to implement a better compression through a firmware update or do you think this is just a limitation of the sensor?

Mostly sensor. I was showing a coworker that is a major photography hobbyist some of the 2.7k footage and stills I shot with the Mavic and we were discussing how far the technology had come in the time we've both been in the hobby. The Mavic does great work with such a small sensor and lens assembly attached to a moving platform but it is certainly going to have limitations with detail, especially if the object in question is moving like a tree in a breeze or the Mavic moving while filming detail.

Mostly sensor. I was showing a coworker that is a major photography hobbyist some of the 2.7k footage and stills I shot with the Mavic and we were discussing how far the technology had come in the time we've both been in the hobby. The Mavic does great work with such a small sensor and lens assembly attached to a moving platform but it is certainly going to have limitations with detail, especially if the object in question is moving like a tree in a breeze or the Mavic moving while filming detail.
My only issue with thinking that the problem is the sensor is that when you shoot stills, the quality is way better on jpg (than video), and even better if you shoot RAW. So maybe they can implement a higher bitrate compression and that would fix a lot of problems.

My only issue with thinking that the problem is the sensor is that when you shoot stills, the quality is way better on jpg (than video), and even better if you shoot RAW. So maybe they can implement a higher bitrate compression and that would fix a lot of problems.

So I was rewatching some video I took last weekend that has trees, gravel parking lot, water, and grass in it. It's from a bright day with no filters. More processing power might help but I really think it's mostly sensor.

When the Mavic is stationary the detail of all surfaces is very distinct and clear. Even the leafy trees with a breeze had good definition. If I move the drone faster than a crawl though the small detail breaks up noticeably.

I was shooting in 2.7k 24fps with +1 sharpness and WB for sun, trucolor. Video was taken directly from the SD card and moved to a USB drive so I can watch it on my 65" TV. Completely unedited and unprocessed.

So I was rewatching some video I took last weekend that has trees, gravel parking lot, water, and grass in it. It's from a bright day with no filters. More processing power might help but I really think it's mostly sensor.

When the Mavic is stationary the detail of all surfaces is very distinct and clear. Even the leafy trees with a breeze had good definition. If I move the drone faster than a crawl though the small detail breaks up noticeably..

If the detail is distinct and clear when stationary then the sensor is not the problem.

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that the compression on the Mavic is really bad compared to the Phantoms.
The Mavics sensor size is the same of the P4. Both have a 1/2,3" CMOS. Both encode 4K with 60mbps. The Mavic sensor is the successor of the P4s sensor.

The P4pro has a 1" CMOS and can do 100bmps for 4K video. The low bitrate on the Mavic and the P4 is the main reason for the questionable quality in 4k. The best way to compensate is shooting in 2,7k. The lack of detail is acceptable while the artefacts are noticeably reduced. Reason: a better pixel to bitrate ratio than in 4k.

I don't think DJI is going to improve at this point. It would reduce the usp for the next bird coming. DJI need to make money like hell and we shall purcahse a new boird every 12 month. Thats the way the game is played.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98