DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big Brother Watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavicUser1

Reactions
My buddy was wondering, when we fly our drone, does the government automatically know if we violate a drone law through our registration number of our drone? Ex. If we go over 400ft, do we get a violation in the mail? Does the government have the ability to connect the drone's serial number with the registration number?

"My buddy.." hehehe, sure pal! ;)

When you register with the FAA they don't ask for your serial number or even the make and model of the craft. That said, the flight logs hold an amazing amount of data, and with proper authorization (such as a subpoena) I have no doubt that information could be readily provided to the agency requesting it.

Then there's the argument that the 400 feet thing is a "guideline" and not an actual law.

Me personally? I intend to keep things on the up and up and play by their rules. Not only to avoid potential legal trouble but to keep these things from getting banned completely.

They know it's you if you crash and they run the FAA # other that that it could be joe Shomo from Idaho

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

They know it's you if you crash and they run the FAA # other that that it could be joe Shomo from Idaho

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Oh My God!! Joe Shomo from Idaho was my birth name. I changed it because the men in black got too close. Now they think every drone belongs to me. Have to contact Jason B. and get a new exit strategy.
P.S. The hat in my avatar is made of tin foil.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
"My buddy.." hehehe, sure pal! ;)

When you register with the FAA they don't ask for your serial number or even the make and model of the craft. That said, the flight logs hold an amazing amount of data, and with proper authorization (such as a subpoena) I have no doubt that information could be readily provided to the agency requesting it.

Then there's the argument that the 400 feet thing is a "guideline" and not an actual law.

Me personally? I intend to keep things on the up and up and play by their rules. Not only to avoid potential legal trouble but to keep these things from getting banned completely.
But I did give my serial number to the FAA when I registered it. Can they not discover my serial number from the logged data remotely? And here's another thought: Is it possible that our drones could report us through the app??? Has this topic come up in these groups?

Reactions: 604Pilot
LOL how well do those hats work I've been trying for years to stop big brother from reading my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Does the government have the ability to connect the drone's serial number with the registration number?

Yes if they have your drone in their possession they can get a court order that forces DJI to give them the owners name and address.

Reactions: Slayerstwin

I agree , try to be on the up and up and use common sense . It's amazing people still argue they are just guidelines when the FAA page itself states it perfectly clear .

They were " guidelines" for decades , now there's that dang word “Must” ‘lol

3. Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

a. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only

b. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines

c. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight

d. Give way to manned aircraft

e. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

f. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

g. Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)

Reactions: DavidNDC
Yes if they have your drone in their possession they can get a court order that forces DJI to give them the owners name and address.
Yes but is it possible that the FAA can access a drone's registration by monitoring communication between a pilot and his drone? Or is it possible a drone's app reports you to the FAA is you break a rule?

Reactions: 604Pilot
But I did give my serial number to the FAA when I registered it.

You did? Did you do it via the actual FAA site or did you get scammed using a 3rd party site? sUAS Registration

It was so long ago that I honestly don't remember, but I just created a new account as a test and they didn't ask for mine.

Yes but is it possible that the FAA can access a drone's registration by monitoring communication between a pilot and his drone? Or is it possible a drone's app reports you to the FAA is you break a rule?

Theoretically, sure.

Practically, not a chance.

* Every drone-like product is different and very few products outside of DJI even have GPS coordinate awareness or other telemetry. Radio protocols are designed by companies all over the world. Some are analog, some are digital, some are frequency-hopping, some are encrypted or at least non-trivially encoded.

* The FAA and the FCC don't regularly inter-operate. Radio signals are the province of the FCC but very few of those regulations are about the content of the signals. The FCC approves devices based on their power usage, interference and spectrum utilization.

* GPS is a receive-only system; the government has no idea how many receivers are using GPS, nevermind where they are.

But first and foremost,

* The FAA does not have enough people nor idle equipment to be the Big Brother of your imagination. Real government relies on complaints to trigger action. If you cross a street on a red light, and nobody is there to complain, it may still be against the law but you are going to "get away with it."

All that said: FLY SAFE.

My buddy was wondering, when we fly our drone, does the government automatically know if we violate a drone law through our registration number of our drone? Ex. If we go over 400ft, do we get a violation in the mail? Does the government have the ability to connect the drone's serial number with the registration number?

Good question.

The thing that you need to keep in mind is, the FAA is not Santa Claus, they do not know when you are naughty or nice unless you or someone else tells them. Your Mavic is not going to show on their Radar no matter how high or fast you fly. Their Radar is designed to see large fast flying objects known as Airliners. Even your average Cessna 150 or Piper Cherokee doesn't show on their Radar very well. And they can't tell your altitude unless you are carrying a Mode C Transponder.

The FAA will probably send you a Letter if they find your Mavic stuck in the Leading Edge of the wing on a 747 and they can identify your FAA Registration Number.

The other area where you might get into trouble is at the Park and the local Guarde (police) show up and check your Suas Certificate of Registration and ask you to show them where it is located on the Mavic Airframe.

Just don't do dumb stuff, and follow the rules the best you can.

Be Safe and Soar with the Eagles. (If they will let you)

Last edited:
You did? Did you do it via the actual FAA site or did you get scammed using a 3rd party site? sUAS Registration

It was so long ago that I honestly don't remember, but I just created a new account as a test and they didn't ask for mine.
Good question.

The thing that you need to keep in mind is, the FAA is not Santa Clause, they do not know when you are naughty or nice unless you or someone else tells them. Your Mavic is not going to show on their Radar no matter how high or fast you fly. Their Radar is designed to see large fast flying objects known as Airliners. Even your average Cessna 150 or Piper Cherokee doesn't show on their Radar very well. And they can't tell your altitude unless you are carrying a Mode C Transponder.

The FAA will probably send you a Letter if they find your Mavic stuck in the Leading Edge of the wing on a 747 and they can identify your FAA Registration Number.

The other area where you might get into trouble is at the Park and the local Guarde (police) show up and check your Suas Certificate of Registration and ask you to show them where it is located on the Mavic Airframe.

Thank you or the information!!!!

Good question.

The thing that you need to keep in mind is, the FAA is not Santa Clause, they do not know when you are naughty or nice unless you or someone else tells them. Your Mavic is not going to show on their Radar no matter how high or fast you fly. Their Radar is designed to see large fast flying objects known as Airliners. Even your average Cessna 150 or Piper Cherokee doesn't show on their Radar very well. And they can't tell your altitude unless you are carrying a Mode C Transponder.

Thank you for the Information!!!:)

9416101.jpg

But I did give my serial number to the FAA when I registered it. Can they not discover my serial number from the logged data remotely? And here's another thought: Is it possible that our drones could report us through the app??? Has this topic come up in these groups?
Did you register as commercial? Part 107?

It had to have been a third party sight. They are good at looking "official" until you look at the fine print. If it's more than $5, you are not at the FAA site. All they want is you name, address, etc. And of course $5. They don't ask for any info on your drone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: DavidNDC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member