DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Black frames in 4K video file

MavicDan

Reactions
I was having trouble with iMovie (latest version) where I kept getting a export failure 10008. Searching through the net, I found that the export function will fail if the video has a bad frame in it.

After going through my recent footage, I found a few... 1 or 2 in every video shot. I was shooting at 4K, 24fps.

Any reason why this would happen? It's a pain in the ***, because imovie stops exporting as soon as it finds the bad frame.

I know you posted this last month, but I just got my mavic the other day and am having this exact same issue... you ever resolve it?

Anybody having this issue at all? I'm thinking it may be my mac.
I'm having the same issue on my Mac as well. Happens in iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Error 10008, I'm sending my unit in for diagnostics/repair when I get the shipping label. Nothing I could do here fixed it.

I'm having the same issue on my Mac as well. Happens in iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Error 10008, I'm sending my unit in for diagnostics/repair when I get the shipping label. Nothing I could do here fixed it.

I ended up using a video converter with same to same export and that resolved my issues.

Download MPGSstreamclip. Convert the video and reimport it. U will solve your problem. Its free online

Reactions: Pippin65
Same problem, has someone solved it with drone settings?

Nope. Tried multiple settings. I ended up sending mine back to DJI because it was having other issues as well like the gimbal, while recording, it would redo a gimbal "startup" calibration while flying and stop recording. To many problems with the camera for me. Hopefully they resolve it sooner than later.

Are you guys using the 16GB card that came with Mavic or have you switched cards? If you've switched I would make sure you have a card that is fast enough to write 4K video.

I was having trouble with iMovie (latest version) where I kept getting a export failure 10008. Searching through the net, I found that the export function will fail if the video has a bad frame in it.

After going through my recent footage, I found a few... 1 or 2 in every video shot. I was shooting at 4K, 24fps.

Any reason why this would happen? It's a pain in the ***, because imovie stops exporting as soon as it finds the bad frame.
I had this same issue, sent it back to DJI and they said it happened because of an impact to the drone. Have you dropped or crashed your Mavic at all?

I had this same issue, sent it back to DJI and they said it happened because of an impact to the drone. Have you dropped or crashed your Mavic at all?

Mine was doing that since the first day out of the box. A quick google search shows a lot of people having that same issue. I think they look for "any" reason to say it was your fault. In my case? They "repaired it" under warranty and didn't cost me anything. Dunno when imma get it back, but should get it back any day now.

This happened to me when I was using my GoPro. Had to delete those frames to make it work.

Add my name to this list :(

Did anyone ever find the cause? (mine is only two weeks old, does it on the supplied SD card and also on my SanDisk class10 too)

@Oingo Boingo Can you share a screenshot of the settings you used? I tried this but it seemed to almost double the filesize :eek:

For now, I go to the preferences of Final Cut Pro and set the timecode to read frames instead of minutes. I then zoom in on the timeline and delete that frame.

Bit of a nightmare really :(

Reactions: Eyvindj
Same problem. I have narrowed the org file down to 3 sec's around the black frame. I will send this to DJI (Ticker 626185). I actually suspect interaction with change in shutter setting (manual or automatic) as I had to correct for under exposure during flight. I could see my changes, and the black frame came just after that. It would be interesting if we can reproduce / pinpoint the error for DJI. My hopes are it can be solved through a sw upgrade...

Last edited:
So here is what I suggest if you meet the Error code 10008 in iMovie / Final Cut Pro. So now that we know about this issue, I would 'work smart' up front from now on.

1. Put a rough cut together in the timeline
2. Render the entire project on the lowest / fastest resolution
3. Look at the rendered project to see where it stops i.e. where to look for the black / damaged frames. Repeat 2 and 3 until entire project finishes successfully (tedious - I know)
4. Weed out all the damaged frames in the rough cut, so you have clean material to work with and also to work around those splits now introduced
5. Finalise the edit
6. Polish and render final.

How does that sound?

Last edited:
Hi mate.

Sounds ok, but... :)

In a 15min video this is such a PITA.

Appreciate you getting in touch with DJI, please do keep us posted!

Interesting too, about the settings change, as I never changed any settings during mine. However, my early recordings were all on 'auto' as a new pilot, perhaps it changed some settings on the fly in my case?

DJI have already responded - quite good, I think... Original file with error submitted. Let's see...

In my actual project of 16 segments shot estimated at 15 min in final stage I found 20 'black' frames.

I have seen quite a few YT's promoting to avoid 'Auto' settings for camera/video as this keeps changing up or down all the time making the post process cumbersome. In fact a fixed shutter setting is easier to correct in post albeit it can appear wrong in the moment. IF - I repeat IF - this is the cause, then so much more the argument for just leaving it during shots and only adjusting between shots.

20 black frames in one video? Ouch! Must have taken forever to find and edit out :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian