DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blades.

MavicKhan

Reactions
I love this channel. I find the host extremely knowledgeable, with a solid engineering background and a very effective communicator.

You'll notice that, from 08:18 onward, he talks about the blades and, more specifically, about something that has made me wary of the design since the announcement: The folding functionality making for a structural stress weak point.

Now, I've been thinking....The main things that make the drone so attractively super-portable are the overall small size and the folding legs. The folding props definitely add to the compact design but they are not crucial for that intent, since they are removable.

I wouldn't mind having a set of non-foldable props to use most of the time, popping them in and out each session, and keep the original folding ones for when I'll need full compactness/portability, i.e when traveling abroad by plane.

Do you think we'll have someone offering us non-foldable props for the Mavic in the near future?

Thanks.

MK

I love this channel. I find the host extremely knowledgeable, with a solid engineering background and a very effective communicator.

You'll notice that, from 08:18 onward, he talks about the blades and, more specifically, about something that has made me wary of the design since the announcement: The folding functionality making for a structural stress weak point.

Now, I've been thinking....The main things that make the drone so attractively super-portable are the overall small size and the folding legs. The folding props definitely add to the compact design but they are not crucial for that intent, since they are removable.

I wouldn't mind having a set of non-foldable props to use most of the time, popping them in and out each session, and keep the original folding ones for when I'll need full compactness/portability, i.e when traveling abroad by plane.

Do you think we'll have someone offering us non-foldable props for the Mavic in the near future?

Thanks.

MK

Have you seen the Mavic torture video? They're throwing backpacks at a Mavic, burying it multiple times into a tree, and the blades hold up fine. The stress endured at the hinge in that video is far greater than anything you'll be experiencing. I have no doubt it's a non issue, and it's a way better design than rigid props.

Any performance advantages with fixed props? That's the only reason I would see to upgrade.

Any performance advantages with fixed props? That's the only reason I would see to upgrade.
With my 3D helicopters, rigid blades provide better instant thrust. But they also cause much more internal damage to the heli when I crash. Flexible blades will have softer flight characteristics.

With my 3D helicopters, rigid blades provide better instant thrust. But they also cause much more internal damage to the heli when I crash. Flexible blades will have softer flight characteristics.

So this may explain why Sport mode has a much greater deceleration distance, at least in part?

No. The effort on the blades on a heli is "complex" and leads to its own characteristics due to the variable pitch, not happening on a multirotor.

The only reason sport mode takes longer to decelerate is that it's going faster in the first place...

Reactions: The Editor

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54