DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Block GPS

God there's some crap in here

-Mavic will fly without GPS
-People have been flying without gps hold for years, not a scary thing to do

Copper tape will block signal, aluminium foil needs to be earthed to work as well as the copper does

Of course it will fly with no GPS, it can fly indoors with no GPS reception at all.

Exactly.... and actually when your Mavic searching for Sat's you will notice it will say OK to fly, fly with caution because it is in ATTI mode before it gets enough Sat's acquired to triangulate GPS location... you can fly, it just does not know where it is :)

Reactions: Rbruz
View attachment 4294 View attachment 4296 Aluminum foil is a myth. Here are pictures of the shield, I just cut to fit, folded and super glued the seams. There is a front flap that is held in place when you insert the battery and the back is held using the Velcro dot I already have there to hold a flytron strobe.
@Spencer Luedke this is awesome. Have you had much issues with it? I am trying to fly in a indoor swimming auditorium to film my daughter's team, been trying to figure out the best way.

Reactions: Rbruz
Well u could always install fakeGPS and just tell your phone youre somewhere in Texas in the wild ?!

Posted from somewhere in beautiful South Africa

Well u could always install fakeGPS and just tell your phone youre somewhere in Texas in the wild ?!

Posted from somewhere in beautiful South Africa

The Mavic itself has a GPS receiver and No Fly Zone info in the firmware... Installing fakeGPS on your phone won't do anything about it...

Take a look at some of the items available on the LessEMF site. They have different fabric/metal combinations that can provide up to 60 dB or more of shielding. They sell sheets, sticky backed tape or pouches. I'm going to buy some of the Blackout Patch material. It has a conductive adhesive backing so I can stick it over the gps and then run a small wire down to ground it on one of the screws in the bottom heatsink. This should provide the best shielding. I've tried various materials on my test gps. I have some of the silver-coated fabric from LessEMF, which has a shielding effect of 35 dB, and this worked better than aluminum or copper. The Blackout Patch provides 50 dB shielding, so should perform even better.

Take a look at some of the items available on the LessEMF site. They have different fabric/metal combinations that can provide up to 60 dB or more of shielding. They sell sheets, sticky backed tape or pouches. I'm going to buy some of the Blackout Patch material. It has a conductive adhesive backing so I can stick it over the gps and then run a small wire down to ground it on one of the screws in the bottom heatsink. This should provide the best shielding. I've tried various materials on my test gps. I have some of the silver-coated fabric from LessEMF, which has a shielding effect of 35 dB, and this worked better than aluminum or copper. The Blackout Patch provides 50 dB shielding, so should perform even better.

Did you have any luck with the shielding? I'm looking for a similar solution to use ATTI offshore and land on moving ships. Tips would be appreciated.
Cheers

This is all about government control. There has been no stated case of a DJI drone killing anyone but there have been many cases of people getting killed by guns! What's more important drone control or gun control?

Yes I agree the NFZ around Washington DC at 15 miles makes sense and airports, prisons and military bases etc. but 30 miles is ridiculous and paranoid!

Peace & hair grease

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Don't need more gun control - we need idiot people control. It is people gone wrong that use guns or even other types of weapons to kill others. The gun didn't do it. It is very safe where I am because we all have guns and are very responsible with them.

Reactions: Pathogen and Blades
View attachment 4294 View attachment 4296 Aluminum foil is a myth. Here are pictures of the shield, I just cut to fit, folded and super glued the seams. There is a front flap that is held in place when you insert the battery and the back is held using the Velcro dot I already have there to hold a flytron strobe.
Thanks for the pictures. One additional question; does it go into P-Opti mode after the GPS is blocked to allow the VPS to stable the aircraft without the GPS lock? Of course in P-Opti mode I think the height is limited to 30 feet of less-correct?

I often fly my other camera quads set to stabilise only so that they self level (GPS is still present so I get positioning shown in the display for home direction, but it's not controlling the crafts flight parameters). In low wind conditions, I find that flying in stabilised mode gives nicer flight characteristics than GPS mode as GPS is not trying to slow or brake the craft when releasing the sticks. That way the craft continues to 'slide' without GPS braking which makes for betting filming... the down side to this is that you have to apply braking instead of relying on the GPS. But you'll get used to that with practice so its realy not a problem.

Important of note... If you're trying to fly in a restricted zone without good reason or permission, then you really shouldn't be flying. Doing so is damaging to our hobby/sports/businesses as it will only make worse laws than already exist come into play. Please be responsible if you want to continue to fly for a hobby.

I actually tried this with a similar material and it did not work. It still found a GPS signal and landed shortly after takeoff.

Don't need more gun control - we need idiot people control. It is people gone wrong that use guns or even other types of weapons to kill others. The gun didn't do it. It is very safe where I am because we all have guns and are very responsible with them.
A line in the movie 'Oblivion', which by the way showcases drones with guns. :)

"It's just a machine. I'm the weapon"

Oblivion (weapon).jpg

My understanding is the FAA has no regulations for UAS indoor flight in or out of a no fly zone. If this is incorrect please direct me to the specific regulation that prohibits this. Also I am not fly in my living room but an indoor complex that is 400' long, 150' wide and 100' high.
AAAND, another drone policeman that won't be able to back up his lame statement and never answer you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada