DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boat Take off and Landing - first try

mbuk

Reactions
Yesterday I did my first take off and land from the boat.

Went ok, if a little bit nerve wracking!

I turned off downward vision sensors, put loss of signal RTH to hover and switched off smart return to home.

Even with very little wind and swell the catch recover was a bit tricky. So wouldn't want to do it if conditions were any worse.

The drift without the downward sensors on is pretty significant, when you have got used to the rock solid hover with them on.

Things to potentially try next time.

1: switch on downward sensors for landing. Descend over bow of boat and see if Mavic will "lock on" to bow of boat for a better hover to catch.

2: a big bag / net with a wide opening to snatch the Mavic out of the air and then CSC for if all else fails!

Here is a quick video of the take off and land.

And the video I shot. (I need to do some practice on tracking fast objects!)

Reactions: KiterTodd
Thanks for sharing. I was going to try it from a wakeboard boat a couple weeks ago but then thought... " how do I do this with the boat drifting downriver?"

Even with the boat engine off, we were in a river and would be moving. Wasn't sure I could land it that way...

Reactions: mbuk
Nice videos! In my experience it is best to keep all sensors *off* when launching and catching from a boat. Having the downward sensor on during a hand catch on a moving boat will make it even more difficult as it senses your hand or the boat and reacts. If you're like me and fly forward toward yourself to hand catch, having the forward sensors on can also make it more difficult as the Mavic may sense an obstacle and stop forward motion when you don't want it to. Happy flying!

Reactions: mbuk
Leave downward sensors on, but turn off "landing protection" . Turning off all downward sensors is similar to flying in low light. The Mavic will drift considerably with all downward sensors off. I wouldn't dare hand catch the Mavic over land with all the drift, (I value my fingers) and can only imagine it would be a scary experience over water where everything is moving. If the surface of the boat is large enough, the downward sensors should lock on to it and help at least stabilize the Mavic. On the boat head into the wind to help with stability and back the Mavic toward the boat. You don't want to have the boat abeam to the waves as this will increase motion.

Landing Protection off will allow you to catch the Mavic without it raising up as you attempt to catch it. Also land with the rear green light facing you. With that all stick commands are intuitive and front OA sensors don't come into play. Not a bad idea to mount a "getterback", especially if you have DJI Care where they will cover a drowned but recovered Mavic.

Last edited:
Nice advice thanks! I have a getterback on order from Amazon, just waiting for it arrive from the US.

Hi !
If you are not too far away from the shore i'd suggest to not turn off down sensors but to fly over a safe landing place at the shore and set your home point there. From thereon just fly as usual, if something goes wrong you'll find it on the shore...

Ender

Reactions: JLane
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007