DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new mavic owner... already crashed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuffonastick

Reactions
Sooo the title says it all. I was testing out how low-light and long exposures work for the mavic, and on the very last few steps on my front walk, it caught the branch of a tree, and whacked into the tree. There's a nice chip in the plastic now, and I definitely ruined a propeller. I've ordered a skin to help cover the blemish up, but I was curious if you guys had any suggestions to make the surface appear smooth again?

Happy to be a new owner, and thanks for your input!
50bd4725554561be1941df7ca6032bfc.jpg
4397bc7f420012a3cf306ce0370c8537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What particular surface are you referring to? I won't bother to comment on the crash as I'm sure other will. ;)

Reactions: stuart kaynes
The top forward most piece of plastic. You know, the one with the big chip on the side of it.

I assume that if you're careful you could use some Bondo and fill it in, then sand it prior to putting the skin on.

Reactions: ezekielguy86
I would probably use something like plast-aid. It will bond to the plastic and not come out later. Order some from Amazon.. Now having said that...regardless of what you use you need to make certain that none of the bonding material gets inside the shell. Plasit-aid is awesome stuff it will bond and be harder than the original shell.

I would probably use something like plast-aid. It will bond to the plastic and not come out later. Order some from Amazon.. Now having said that...regardless of what you use you need to make certain that none of the bonding material gets inside the shell. Plasit-aid is awesome stuff it will bond and be harder than the original shell.

Thank you for the tip! I will order that tonight. How do I keep it from getting in the shell though?

Could let it set a little then put it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: stuffonastick
Thunderdrone or Salvagedrone on the forum should be able to hook you up with a replacement top shell. Not hard to replace - 12 Torx T6 screws. It's not a common "injury" so should be parts to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderdrone or Salvagedrone on the forum should be able to hook you up with a replacement top shell. Not hard to replace - 12 Torx T6 screws. It's not a common "injury" so should be parts to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I've sent Salvage a message. I'll message thunder as well.

Reactions: rfc0001
You could just hold the Mavic upside down until it dries.

Yeah that occurred to me as well. I'll see what the deal is when it gets here Tuesday. The plastic comes out white, from what I can tell. Need to figure out a way to match the color.

Plasti-aid can mix with acrylic paint to make it colored. Smells nasty (use in good ventilation) but amazing stuff, I'd try fixing some other stuff around the house to get used to using it, you can mix it thicker or runnier, I'd go a little runnier and it will thicken a bit in a minute or so, starts hardening in like 10-15 minutes from what I remember, and will be completely hard in like 30-1hr depending on how much of it there is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: stuffonastick
In a former life, I use to build, repair and refinish guitars. Many things learned over the years transfer to repairs in general. If at all possible, slide a piece of paper between the seams of top and side. This will keep anything from falling into the MP and keep you from accidentally gluing the two pieces together. Don't use bondo. Many compounds that you "could" use shrink over time and either leave a slight indent or worst case, fall out. One that does neither of those is the resin used in fiberglass repair. You mix the resin with the hardener and when it dries you sand it down and either paint, or in your case, put the skin on. The grey JBWeld would do the same thing and might come close enough to matching the color.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Word of advice to newbies, bubble wrap your Mavics before your first flight. Just the top though, don't cover up the sensors on the bottom.

**Of course this is being said in jest (kind of)**

Sooo the title says it all. I was testing out how low-light and long exposures work for the mavic, and on the very last few steps on my front walk, it caught the branch of a tree, and whacked into the tree. There's a nice chip in the plastic now, and I definitely ruined a propeller. I've ordered a skin to help cover the blemish up, but I was curious if you guys had any suggestions to make the surface appear smooth again?

Happy to be a new owner, and thanks for your input!

so were you flying in the dark with trees around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123