DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic - total mid air power failure

mtgtriz98

Reactions
I had my Mavic for a total of two days of Flying when it fell from the sky at a height of 140 feet. No warning of any problems. Battery was at 79%. Gimbal broke off and battery popped out. 2 Broken props. I suspect some sort of battery connection issue. Flight log and video shows nothing abnormal that I could see. It was first flight with this battery. Only about 7 flights total with this Mavic. I have a ticket open with DJI and I am shipping it back. Hopefully they cover it under warranty. It's a little scary that a thousand dollar drone can just fall like a brick. Any ideas?

Flight Log
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=lvkzST

Video Link
Dropbox - DJI_0015.MOV

It sounds like the battery wasn't fully engaged in the lock and thus came loose during flight. There are two locks and it's a common mistake to think a clicking noise means it's in all the way. The second lock being not engaged could cause the battery to come loose from movement and then disconnect.

I had the same experience.

Mayday - MAVIC Crash Investigation

Not sure about the battery lock. It really should not be designed to be able to provide power without being locked and it was the third flight with the same battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: willhay555
It sounds like the battery wasn't fully engaged in the lock and thus came loose during flight. There are two locks and it's a common mistake to think a clicking noise means it's in all the way. The second lock being not engaged could cause the battery to come loose from movement and then disconnect.
This most likely.
I have once thought it engaged when it was not fully locked and it could simply lift out.
Phantoms could similarly be in far enough to start and take off but under heavier load the poor connection was not enough and total shut off occured.

My drone was sent in a couple of weeks ago and now my status says "missing information - we will contact you". So I guess I will know something early next week.

My drone was sent in a couple of weeks ago and now my status says "missing information - we will contact you". So I guess I will know something early next week.
Interesting, kind of sounds strange! Keep us posted! I have a thread as well and right now they are on the damage analysis phase.

01list1.jpg

Looks like you were determined to corrupt the flight, and became successful.

I had the same experience.

Mayday - MAVIC Crash Investigation

Not sure about the battery lock. It really should not be designed to be able to provide power without being locked and it was the third flight with the same battery.

I disagree. It's designed with very long contacts so that you have a very, very solid connection by the time the lock engages. What it shouldn't be able to do is take off without the locks engaged.

I had my Mavic for a total of two days of Flying when it fell from the sky at a height of 140 feet. No warning of any problems. Battery was at 79%. Gimbal broke off and battery popped out. 2 Broken props. I suspect some sort of battery connection issue. Flight log and video shows nothing abnormal that I could see. It was first flight with this battery. Only about 7 flights total with this Mavic. I have a ticket open with DJI and I am shipping it back. Hopefully they cover it under warranty. It's a little scary that a thousand dollar drone can just fall like a brick. Any ideas?

Flight Log
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=lvkzST

Video Link
Dropbox - DJI_0015.MOV

I don't suppose you retrieved any of the .dat files from your Mavic before sending it off?

Can you post the build date of your Mavic? DJI Mavic Pro Serial Number Decoder

If the op can extract the DAT files using DJI Assistant and upload them to Dropbox we can give him a difinitive answe as to what happened.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo