DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new MP right drift when flying forward... I'm out of ideas.

Spirytus

Reactions
Video is a worth a thousand words so please have a look at this (it's short and to the point):

Here's the log for this flight:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The video starts roughly halfway down the log, when the mavic is facing NW along the dirt road towards the tracks.

Unit is brand new, assembly/build date March 29 (based on the S/N).

I'm out of ideas guys. Done / re-done all the possible calibrations I can think off:
  • IMU calibration: (3 times at two seperate locations) all level surfaces.
  • Compass - multiple times / multiple areas away from any metal objects, nothing in my pocket, cell phone put away in the car.
  • Radio stick calibrations.
  • Gimbal calibration.
  • VPS calibration.
At first I thought it was the gimbal, but paying close attention visually I did notice a slight roll when she flies - You can clearly see it in the video as well 2 ~ 3 deg to the right. This particular flight was a windless morning.

What's more confusing it gets worse (or better) depending on the direction the Mavic is facing. At this point I'm guessing its the compass ('s) but I can't tell for sure. Looked at the FC log files and I don't see anything obvious. The compass deviation numbers "look" similar to my Phantom but than again I'm no expert.

What do you guys think?

My Mavic tends to drift towards the right when attempting to fly straight. I've also noticed the gimbal facing slightly rightward as well.

The Tap Fly feature keeps my craft flying straight. Make sure your craft is level when powering and also check the tilt angle and direction of the gimbal. It may give you an indication of your flight performance.

I am no pro trouble shooter but have one thought and one serious question.

Maybe it's interference from those power transmission towers? The drift was worse flying toward them. Not hardly at all flying away?

My question though. Your title says "MP" and I assume you mean Mavic Pro but that telemetry screen shot shows a Phantom???

What's up with that?!

Rob

Reactions: SeaComms
I am no pro trouble shooter but have one thought and one serious question.

Maybe it's interference from those power transmission towers? The drift was worse flying toward them. Not hardly at all flying away?

My question though. Your title says "MP" and I assume you mean Mavic Pro but that telemetry screen shot shows a Phantom???

What's up with that?!

Rob
The phantom icon overlay is from the DatCon Dashware profile i have no time to change the guage stock image. I assure you the flight is of my new mavic.

The transmission lines have nothing to do with it, I can duplicate this issue at other locations:

Reactions: digdat0 and bchem
My Mavic tends to drift towards the right when attempting to fly straight. I've also noticed the gimbal facing slightly rightward as well.

The Tap Fly feature keeps my craft flying straight. Make sure your craft is level when powering and also check the tilt angle and direction of the gimbal. It may give you an indication of your flight performance.

I have a P4P and she flies like an arrow when compared to this mavic. I know there is some minor gimbal drift on most DJI drones I've seen, but if you saw this mavic fly without looking at the screen, you would notice that it's rolling right and "slipping" to the side as it flies away...

Of course I can compensate/trim with the aileron, but that's not what should be the norm. How bad is the drift on yours? Can you post a video so I can compare?

Your issue is not with drifting. My best guess is you unknowingly have set the aircraft based on the intelligent flight mode. You either have Course Lock, Home Lock, or Point of Interest set.

I believe if you go into the menu and disable the option for Multiple Flight Mode, it should at least let you fly straight. Try it and see what you come up with.

Your issue is not with drifting. My best guess is you unknowingly have set the aircraft based on the intelligent flight mode. You either have Course Lock, Home Lock, or Point of Interest set.

I believe if you go into the menu and disable the option for Multiple Flight Mode, it should at least let you fly straight. Try it and see what you come up with.

Hmm, maybe. Ok will disable and give it a shot.

Was this flight right after calibrations?
After compass calibration, I think it takes a few straight line flights to improve, which is what it looked like in the video.

The MP may appear to have some roll when flying, if its countering a cross-wind that would be normal.

The first part of the video is way more drifting in GPS mode then I've ever encountered.

Also at your flying field, check your sensor data graphs, compass and IMU, should be flat bars, the flatter the better, it sounds like you did do the calibrations carefully.

Reactions: sdheath
Video is a worth a thousand words so please have a look at this (it's short and to the point):

Here's the log for this flight:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The video starts roughly halfway down the log, when the mavic is facing NW along the dirt road towards the tracks.

Unit is brand new, assembly/build date March 29 (based on the S/N).

I'm out of ideas guys. Done / re-done all the possible calibrations I can think off:
  • IMU calibration: (3 times at two seperate locations) all level surfaces.
  • Compass - multiple times / multiple areas away from any metal objects, nothing in my pocket, cell phone put away in the car.
  • Radio stick calibrations.
  • Gimbal calibration.
  • VPS calibration.
At first I thought it was the gimbal, but paying close attention visually I did notice a slight roll when she flies - You can clearly see it in the video as well 2 ~ 3 deg to the right. This particular flight was a windless morning.

What's more confusing it gets worse (or better) depending on the direction the Mavic is facing. At this point I'm guessing its the compass ('s) but I can't tell for sure. Looked at the FC log files and I don't see anything obvious. The compass deviation numbers "look" similar to my Phantom but than again I'm no expert.

What do you guys think?
have you tried with different props?

Was this flight right after calibrations?
After compass calibration, I think it takes a few straight line flights to improve, which is what it looked like in the video.

The MP may appear to have some roll when flying, if its countering a cross-wind that would be normal.

The first part of the video is way more drifting in GPS mode then I've ever encountered.

Also at your flying field, check your sensor data graphs, compass and IMU, should be flat bars, the flatter the better, it sounds like you did do the calibrations carefully.

Thanks Milo, I always check my sensors (IMU and Compass) before motor start - part of my checklist.

The first video I linked had no wind, it was a very calm morning. The second video had cross wind yet you'll notice in both cases roll increase 2 degrees a second or two after I pitch forward.

First video was right after calibration, second one was calibrated earlier in the day. I flew all 3 battery packs back to back hoping it would stabilize... It gets better in certain directions but I can never get her to fly true like my phantom.

Can anyone share a video (screen cap) of simple normal flight (preferably with grid lines enabled). Nothing fancy or cinematic - maybe my standard is too high for this little bugger...

Last edited:
have you tried with different props?
Just did, same deal. Same for Frank's suggestion.

One thing I haven't tried yet is roll back firmware to 400 and/or fly it with litchi.

On the bright side, DJI support has been on top of my case ... More on that later.

I do not do much video so can't upload any for you to see, but I do know that my mavic has next to 0 drift/pull when i full forward. If no one else has posted a video I will try to make one tomorrow if the weather holds.

How often are you calibrating and what are you calibrating? Have you checked your props for any issues there? Could be caused by a single prop being slightly off.

Looks to me that it's possibly an issue with the joystick calibration. Try setting a course lock and see if it goes straight. Just a thought.

I do not do much video so can't upload any for you to see, but I do know that my mavic has next to 0 drift/pull when i full forward. If no one else has posted a video I will try to make one tomorrow if the weather holds.

How often are you calibrating and what are you calibrating? Have you checked your props for any issues there? Could be caused by a single prop being slightly off.

I don't think this is true. Mavic will fly fine with one or more props significantly different than the others from my experience, as long as the props are still close to balanced. (A significantly unbalanced prop will cause vibration.)

Mavic must spin the short prop at a faster rpm to compensate, but mine still flies straight and level, even with an inch taken off of a prop.

Reactions: Spirytus
I don't think this is true. Mavic will fly fine with one or more props significantly different than the others from my experience, as long as the props are still close to balanced. (A significantly unbalanced prop will cause vibration.)

Mavic must spin the short prop at a faster rpm to compensate, but mine still flies straight and level, even with an inch taken off of a prop.

This ^

Anyway I tried a brand new set 2 hours ago - no joy.

Looks to me that it's possibly an issue with the joystick calibration. Try setting a course lock and see if it goes straight. Just a thought.

The stick telemetry overlay you see in the video is taken from the flight controller log. Meaning; the stick commands you see is what the Mavic is receiving from my radio - if the sticks were miscalibrated to cause a right drift you would see roll input on the right stick.

I'm not to keen on using intelligent flight modes to correct flight characteristics -- I can do it manually just as well by applying a light roll and changing sensitivity curves; If this was a refurb, or second hand unit, sure I guess.

P.S. Calibrating the sticks was the first thing I tried once I begun to notice something was off...

Last edited:
Two questions, is the drift a curved path or a straight line, eg. Constant 2 degrees off?

What about in reverse, what happens if you rotate the Mavic 180 and fly away, does it do the same?

I have the same problem drifting to the right. I have just updated to the .700. Im going to roll back to .400 on the weekend to see if this helps.

you need Budwalker to take a look at your logs

I'll post my FC .dat log when I get back home tonight for anyone curious.

Two questions, is the drift a curved path or a straight line, eg. Constant 2 degrees off?

What about in reverse, what happens if you rotate the Mavic 180 and fly away, does it do the same?

If you look at the log link I posted on the phantomhelp site:

She starts flying straight than a second or two starts to slip away in a curve until it reaches some sort of equilibrium and continues forward at a slight roll to the right.

The odd thing I can't wrap my head around is this is only very noticeable when she faces anywhere West to North West. Other headings have varying degrees of stability but she never flies true. Feels very loose if that makes any sense - not locked in like my phantom.

So, if I fly backwards only (still facing the original NW direction) she'll follow the same curve but in reverse returning back where she started (give or take a meter or two).

Yawing 180 degrees and going forward the flight path is "more or less" straight, still need to adjust for the gimbal drift but at least she's not rolling away.
I have the same problem drifting to the right. I have just updated to the .700. Im going to roll back to .400 on the weekend to see if this helps.

I guess I'll have to try that aswell.

Came in the box with 400 installed, I upgraded to 600 before the maiden flight, then .700 on Friday hoping it would maybe fix the glitch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll