DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bridges, can you fly near them? (legally)

georgemivanoff

Reactions
Hey all,
First time posting here, was cool to find a site devoted to the Mavic as I'd heard of PhantomPilots when I was flying a Phantom 3.

My question: is flying near (not over or under, just near) bridges illegal? I've seen so many articles with arrests 'near Brooklyn Bridge' or near another bridge and had people ask me, but I'm not able to find any documentation that it is illegal. Perhaps those just happened to by what they were near and they were violating different laws?
But assuming you're following all the normal rules, is being near bridges a problem that anyone knows more about?

Thanks, much appreciated. Want to know before going out near one

Are you flying commercially or for personal pleasure?

In Canada you need to stay 100 feet away from any buildings and structures, build up zones, people, animals, and cars. I'm quite certain it's the same or even stricter in the states.
I shoot bridges all the time. I just stay at least 100 feet away from them.

Are you flying commercially or for personal pleasure?

In Canada you need to stay 100 feet away from any buildings and structures, build up zones, people, animals, and cars. I'm quite certain it's the same or even stricter in the states.
I shoot bridges all the time. I just stay at least 100 feet away from them.

Just flying for me! That's what I figured and have been practicing, just wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone has found anything different. Thanks!

First I have heard about 100 feet from structures, hope the US does not follow suit
For me that would just be horrid, I really like getting close to interesting and abandoned structures as well as alleys where the geometry of windows or other features on the buildings to either side make for a nice shot.

in Canada the rule for the Mavic is below 90 m above the ground and at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public which is about 100 feet, just like they've said above.

Yep 30 mtrs here in OZ too, however..... the Sydney Harbour bridge falls in an absolute NFZ, so no flying there at all....

There is no "rules" prohibiting it. I just did a video on FAA regs for hobbyists, and I studied everything about it for a month. I also verified everything with drone attorneys.

Yep 30 mtrs here in OZ too, however..... the Sydney Harbour bridge falls in an absolute NFZ, so no flying there at all....

Pretty much the ENTIRE Sydney Harbour is a NFZ, almost right out almost to the heads !!
About 12km as the crow flies, follows the whole southern shoreline of the harbour, so who knows it might be 100km of shore.
Then the big arc to the north that goes out to around 4km.

It'd be interesting to know why. . . . of course it would be busy airspace at times, there are plenty of heli pads in there, but also a lot of what would normally be clear space to fly in between.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada