DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bright sunlight and Obstacle Avoidance

Snow Bird 1

Reactions
I have noticed a few times that my MP will not fly toward the sun!! Even after it has risen quite high - say 1000 - 1100. I can be flying along and the MP will just stop and tell me it senses an obstacle - in clear sunny skies. At times I have had to turn the MP around and fly backward to avoid sudden stops along the way - not the best solution if I am using the video... Could this be a calibration error??

Also had an interesting event today - was at about 200' and 1000 feet away (bright sunny Arizona sky) - used RTH - MP came back toward me a couple of hundred feet, stopped (see above) and then started ascending!!! I hit pause at 300 feet and brought it home manually - confusing to say the least. Same question as above - calibration error, or??? Love to hear any ideas.....

I have the same problem out here in Nor Cal. I believe the problem is mostly exaggerated by the low azimuth of the sun this time of year. Just an opinion.

Do a search on here. This has been reported a lot and is a known issue for the Mavic. The reason it started climbing is that it is sensing the sun as an obstacle and trying to climb to get over it. You can turn this off in the RTH settings. The best solution is either to turn off forward obstacle avoidance when flying toward the sun or switch to Sport mode (which turns off obstacle avoidance).

Yup, did occur to me, was hoping not though!! Thanks for confirming - Love having all these bright minds to bounce stuff off!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian