DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Budapest Airport - Warning to fellow pilots

mplacona

Reactions
You're not allowed to carry any drone in your hand luggage. I've been travelling around Europe and Hungary with my Mavic in my hand luggage without any issues but in Budapest I was told that I need to check-in the drone as per airport regulations.

They consider the propellers as sharp objects and a risk to other passengers if you fly the drone inside the airport.

I respect their rules but the way they reacted to the drone was a bit extremist. When checking my luggage they picked up the Mavic - without propellers or battery, folded, inside a pouch bag - and ask what was it. When I said it's a drone she put it down, raised her hand and shouted "drone"! Two others came around and started explaining that I couldn't take it with me and showing one page with the regulation.

854b8cf71a70ecc53660c471b69c8bfc.jpg

Reactions: Gustavo Aguiar
Just put the props in the hold luggage? Problem sorted..

Oh sorry, just read the rest of your post. Surely the only issue in the notice is the length and sharpness of the props so I don't see how they could object to a prop-less drone.

I had no hold luggage. Wasn't happy to pay €65 to check a baggage just because of these regulations. The Mavic was without its propellers or battery.

I'm shocked! There is actually another country other than the US that is more strict when it comes to air travel? That reaction is hilarious, its as if she was handling a bomb.

Nice warning. I'm planning a flight to Budapest and it's very good to know it in advance.

Afterall, did you manage do transport Mavic and how was there? Did you have flights opportunities? Or did any authority prohibited you to fly?

You're not allowed to carry any drone in your hand luggage. I've been travelling around Europe and Hungary with my Mavic in my hand luggage without any issues but in Budapest I was told that I need to check-in the drone as per airport regulations.

They consider the propellers as sharp objects and a risk to other passengers if you fly the drone inside the airport.

I respect their rules but the way they reacted to the drone was a bit extremist. When checking my luggage they picked up the Mavic - without propellers or battery, folded, inside a pouch bag - and ask what was it. When I said it's a drone she put it down, raised her hand and shouted "drone"! Two others came around and started explaining that I couldn't take it with me and showing one page with the regulation.

854b8cf71a70ecc53660c471b69c8bfc.jpg

I had no hold luggage. Wasn't happy to pay €65 to check a baggage just because of these regulations. The Mavic was without its propellers or battery.

How did you pack the drone? Was it fine after checking the drone? If all good, any recommendations for packing my drone on checked luggage.

Btw, I'm staying in Budapest for an extended period of time and travel throughout the EU and Africa.

I'm anxious to check my drone at the Budapest airport.

See you should have just answered that it was a camera and you would have been on your way .

Nice warning. I'm planning a flight to Budapest and it's very good to know it in advance.

Afterall, did you manage do transport Mavic and how was there? Did you have flights opportunities? Or did any authority prohibited you to fly?

The Magic was carefully packaged between clothes and placed in the middle of the baggage. It has arrived with no damage.

I couldn't fly it in Budapest, the whole city is a no-fly zone and after their reaction at the airport I didn't want to risk it with the local authorities.

Love the Mavic, but the whole thing is becoming very frustrating. Very few places where you're allowed to fly and you're seen almost as criminal everywhere you take the drone.

Seriously thinking about selling it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98