DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Budapest Airport

Kman21

Reactions
I just traveled through the Budapest Airport. (May 21 2017)

No Problems with carrying on My Mavic Pro on the plane.

I took off the blades and put them in my checked in bag. I took my Mavic Pro as a carry on. Security did not ask any questions.

Reactions: Rbruz
Where were you headed to?

I have a flight going thru Turkey in early July and Im concerned about having to check all my electronic devices on the way to the US.

Reactions: Terry Davis
They probably haven't seen one before :D I don't think there ary any rules/regulations in Hungary for drones yet.

Where were you headed to?

I have a flight going thru Turkey in early July and Im concerned about having to check all my electronic devices on the way to the US.

Flying directly from Turkey to US, expect restrictions.

I just traveled through the Budapest Airport. (May 21 2017)

No Problems with carrying on My Mavic Pro on the plane.

I took off the blades and put them in my checked in bag. I took my Mavic Pro as a carry on. Security did not ask any questions.
Do you live in Hungary? I'm going there in a month. How are the rules there?

I'm going again in August, been a few times before but never with the drone. I plan to just take carry on though....

Do you live in Hungary? I'm going there in a month. How are the rules there?
I live here parts of the year. There is a no fly zone near the chain bridge, parliament and Buda castle. But free to free elsewhere. However, I did fly near the parliament and chain bridge at night. It was too beautiful not too :)

Reactions: Rbruz
My wife is from Budapest, its a lovely place, there are loads of places to fly around the city, Visegrád castle area is a nice place to fly a drone, not far form the city by train and well worth a visit with a drone.

Flack

I traveled with the Mavic in my hand bag through BRAZIL - DUBAI - CHINA - TAIWAN. No problems at all.

what about batteries? Did you carry them on cabin bag?
Did you use special cases for batteries ( fire retardant) ?

what about batteries? Did you carry them on cabin bag?
Did you use special cases for batteries ( fire retardant) ?
I flew the 7 June, Budapest to Paris. Mavic was check-in as everything I read about Budapest Airport was a big red flag for drones in cabin luggage. We split my 4 batteries with my partner in 2/2 in our cabin luggage. They was in fire retardant bags and drained out of power on the prior day. I not do the drain out power for all airport situations. If they ask anything I shoe it's a power bank, using the proper accessory provided by DJI

I flew the 7 June, Budapest to Paris. Mavic was check-in as everything I read about Budapest Airport was a big red flag for drones in cabin luggage. We split my 4 batteries with my partner in 2/2 in our cabin luggage. They was in fire retardant bags and drained out of power on the prior day. I not do the drain out power for all airport situations. If they ask anything I shoe it's a power bank, using the proper accessory provided by DJI
Previous replies on this theres said there was no problems carrying it in a bag?

Reactions: hyb
Previous replies on this theres said there was no problems carrying it in a bag?
Having to board 8 planes in 4 countries and with 4 different companies during one month traveling I searched rules and regulations on internet specifically for drones, for batteries and for propellers, btw it is that way I discovered and join this forum. The topic was already public in phantom pilots and more than one guy was forced to check-in the bird last minute because the security screening with peculiar rules was going opposite way of companies rules.
HUNGARIAN AIRPORT REFUSE DRONES TO BE TAKEN ON BOARD AS CARRY ON LUGGAGE

Last edited:
Reactions: HSK
Okay, I think they didn't want to let it onboard as they said it can be used as a weapon - what I'm guessing they meant were the rotor blades (on their site it says any blade over 6 inches) but they seem to have failed to explain that to him. Also on their site, it does say no rotor blades, but it very unclear about the drone its self, it's more we advise that it is checked in, and you can get the bag insure. but nothing concrete to say, you can't. It not very logical - I think they're also saying the drone might be used on the runway / apron. But if you don't have any props there won't be any chance of that happening, so I don't see why they won't allow it on board unless they have thought process issues.

Okay, I think they didn't want to let it onboard as they said it can be used as a weapon - what I'm guessing they meant were the rotor blades (on their site it says any blade over 6 inches) but they seem to have failed to explain that to him. Also on their site, it does say no rotor blades, but it very unclear about the drone its self, it's more we advise that it is checked in, and you can get the bag insure. but nothing concrete to say, you can't. It not very logical - I think they're also saying the drone might be used on the runway / apron. But if you don't have any props there won't be any chance of that happening, so I don't see why they won't allow it on board unless they have thought process issues.
Yes it's more like they don't want it in the airport terminal boarding room rather than in cabin as all company are very clear, propellers no way in cabin, batteries no way in check-in (mavic batteries, as depends number and power) and finally for the bird it's as you like, cabin or check-in...

I disagree with you, it's very clear until today that they want it check-in "hold luggage" :

Budapest airport official website link:

Frequently asked questions about flying

Bottom of the page

"Transportation of drones on board aircraft is ensured for all passengers, in hold baggage."
End of QUOTE.

At the date of today they still weirdly not allow you to board the aircraft with a drone in your cabin luggage in full contradiction with your airline rules.

If many succeed with the mavic it's probably because the shape can be mistaken for a camera or other electronic device. Rather different than a Phantom... But I guess if they find your mavic following a manual check they will ask you to check-in your cabin luggage last minute as too late for reaching your check-in luggage.

Last edited:
It's a crazy rule in that case.

on this page, they explain no rotors (which is okay)

Security screening

But then without rotors, how would it even fly?

Also, they state arrivals halls and the risk of flying it there?!? (not sure why anyone would want to do that with a mavic, maybe they had issues with people flyign toy drones)

Also, Luton airport allows me to take the mavic on board, so once I arrive in the arrival halls - then what?

Hi HSK, did they in Luton asked about anything? Batteries capacity or if they are discharged? Did you use fire retardant cases?
I will be flying from Luton soon.
Did any one had any experience in Gdansk ( Poland) ?

I had discharged the batteries to under 40 percent. I had all pieces in one small bag (4 batteries, charger, Rc, other bits) it went through without question.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo