DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Building a better screen sunshade using physics and reflection (and it's free).

Pp09nlk2n

Reactions
Long story short, this cardboard sunshade takes 2 minutes to make, is free, and is better than the $60+ Hoodman sunshades others on this forum have used.

I am astonished at how many sunshades seem to get it wrong. Most seem to be 90 degree angles off the screen, 4 sides around the screen, trying to create a darkroom for your eyes. Physics (reflection) says the problem isn’t the ambient light, it is that 90 degree angle. Even the $60+ Hoodman sunshades have that failure – where you have to put your eyes right up to it and block out all light.

Here is the problem with most sunshades:
why 90 degree is wrong - with redline.jpg**

With standard 90 degree sunshade, the ambient light is bouncing off your face (or the light sky behind you), to the screen, and then back to your eyes. This is why you see a reflection on your tablet which makes the image hard to see. This is why even complete 4 sided shades don’t work unless you press your face all the way against them to block out the light behind your head.

Instead, if the sunshade is just angled slightly so the reflection on the screen is off the dark wall of the sunshade rather than your face, then suddenly the screen is completely clear EVEN IF THE SUNSHADE IS ONLY 3 SIDED. You simply tilt the tablet screen away from you a little bit, so you aren't looking directly at it, and you'll be able to see beneath the slight tilt of the sunshade.

The Solution:

See my demo build below using a cereal box. The exact angle you need depends on the length of the sunshade you are using. I found my cereal box (about 13 inches long) meant I needed to tilt the angle only 25 degrees. The longer the shade, the less of an angle you need. I then used a black marker to shade in the side of the box black to increase effectiveness:

Basic with 25 degree.JPG
Sideways.JPG

And it is just that simple. Note, when attached to your screen, it is only 3 sided yet it works even in full sunlight. Thus, you can still easily touch the screen freely, unlike 4 sided shades which have tiny little finger holes.
screen display.JPG
(Click to enlarge)

How you attach it to your tablet depends on what type of tablet holder you use. You could just attach it with painters tape, or you can cut slits in the side of the cereal box at 25 degrees instead and slip the tablet through that way.
Slit for tablet.JPG
(Click to enlarge)

Obviously this version is the quick and dirty way. If you care about looks more or want something more long lasting, use stronger materials (like poster board instead of a cereal box), and try harder. This was just a proof of concept but it worked so well I haven't gotten around to making a prettier version yet.

Try it yourself – you don’t even need to cut things or color them black to prove it works for you. Just take any cardboard, stand in the sunlight, and hold it at 90 degrees vs. an angle (so the reflection is of the side, not your face) and notice how better the image is. You will obviously need to tilt the tablet screen so you can see it.

Hopefully the various vendors who make sunshades use this technique to create an angled shade out of nicer materials.

**Note the first image with the silhouette I found on the Phantom forum, I don’t remember who made it. If you know, tell me so I can add the citation.

Other handy tips if you are trying to build this quick and dirty like I did:

• I used a cereal box. Because the original box had creases (since it was, you know, a box with sides) that meant there wasn't a long-flat piece long enough for the width of my iPad mini, which put a crease in the middle of the sunshade causing it to bow out a bit. I just took another small piece of cardboard (about .5 inch wide, 2 inches long) and taped it across that crease as a spine and that kept it flat. Again, if/when I ever build a 'real' version of this, I'd use a continues piece of cardboard / poster board so the crease isn't an issue.
  • To figure out what angle you need depending on the length of your cardboard, you can test it either in full daylight with the sun out, or just stand inside with a bright ceiling light above you that you see reflected on the screen at 90 degrees. Now tilt the cardboard and screen towards each other little by little until you see only the side of the sunshade, not your face/ceiling any more. Mark that angle with a pencil and cut it out / cut a slit in the side of the cardboard. Basically, choose a sunshade cardboard length as long as you can tolerate because the longer it is, the less of a tilt you need.
  • I like that this sunshade folds up easily so it fits in my carrying case with my other accessories.
  • To clarify here, for this whole technique to work, you also have to tilt your tablet away from your face just slightly as well. You'll naturally do this to look over the lip of your new sunshade. But if you don't tilt it away a little bit, then you are staring at the screen 90 degrees and will see the reflection. The tilted sunshade forces you to look at it with the correct viewing angle.

Exactly correct.

I built my shade using this exact same principal and have been using it now for months. Screen is perfect even in the brightest lighting conditions.

I built mine out of black "foamcore" available at art supply stores and added a front panel with two reading glass lenses, 13 inches from the device screen (which is my focal distance).

Like yours, mine is three sided, but then, folds flat when not in use, and attaches with some little velcro tabs.

If we could patent this principal, and manufacture, we'd make a fortune. It works that well.

I posted a picture on another thread, so I'll try to find it.

Exactly correct.

I built my shade using this exact same principal and have been using it now for months. Screen is perfect even in the brightest lighting conditions.

I built mine out of black "foamcore" available at art supply stores and added a front panel with two reading glass lenses, 13 inches from the device screen (which is my focal distance).

Like yours, mine is three sided, but then, folds flat when not in use, and attaches with some little velcro tabs.

If we could patent this principal, and manufacture, we'd make a fortune. It works that well.

I posted a picture on another thread, so I'll try to find it.
I'd like to see it.

Reactions: mamayda and GMG
I find my main problem is not direct or ambient light but only reflected light from whats directly lit behind me, so holding close to body (so only reflecting my chest) with dark T-shirt does the job well. (I use the DJI shade)

I also have velcro in the hood so that I can put my SamsungA5 actualy in the hood itself. (This works alot better)

There are however the odd occation where I've even considered using a kind of 'Dark Hood' (like a photographers dark bag, or a mini beach tent that folds up like the landing pad, that you just throw over the top half of your body), for when critical movements are required when not in visual sight of MP. But not realy researched whats available yet as have always found a tree or very shaded area when I need this.

The Ideas shared in this thread are great and Im going to build one similar to see how it goes, thanks.

Keep inventing.

There are however the odd occation where I've even considered using a kind of 'Dark Hood'...

I've been thinking of throwing a black piece of fabric in my bag and going 19th century old school, to do this...
18aa514e067cbfa70f865e1d319dfc7608ae7521_1_635x500.jpg

You can get your whole head in that one!........Hey whatever does the job.

I suppose you could... But the point is you don't need to stick your head in it. I hold it away from my body like any other hood and it works just fine

I suppose you could... But the point is you don't need to stick your head in it. I hold it away from my body like any other hood and it works just fine
I have been using the same type setup as you have described for the last 18 Months on my phantom 3P. My awesome wife used her pattern making skills and made one using half of a black foam project board, black duck tape and Velcro. The angle is 30 degrees. Like you said just tilt it to see the full screen easily. Small notch cut on one side for the USB cable.

I have been using the same type setup as you have described for the last 18 Months on my phantom 3P. My awesome wife used her pattern making skills and made one using half of a black foam project board, black duck tape and Velcro. The angle is 30 degrees. Like you said just tilt it to see the full screen easily. Small notch cut on one side for the USB cable.
There is also a relationship with the length of the shade vs. the angle.

Longer shades can tolerate shallower angles before the opening comes into view.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of throwing a black piece of fabric in my bag and going 19th century old school, to do this...
18aa514e067cbfa70f865e1d319dfc7608ae7521_1_635x500.jpg
Must admit I'd rather look like that, than some kind of military stalker lol. Great photo

Reactions: GMG
Very nice article and design. Thanks.

I made a similar shade from the box that my DJI prop guards came in - it is black on the inside, and even says DJI on the outside. Folds up and is held in place with Blue Tac. Since I only did lower division Physics, I made it with a 90 degree angle, but will fix that little problem asap.

Ok, great piece of design and well done for working out the science behind it but........

matte6splus.jpg

Use one of these with a standard shade - I use the DJI shade but any shade will do and you eliminate 100% of reflections making it easy to get the shade angle as you need it and not see reflections which spoil your flying experience!!! Just sayin.....;)

Ok, great piece of design and well done for working out the science behind it but........

View attachment 15343

Use one of these with a standard shade - I use the DJI shade but any shade will do and you eliminate 100% of reflections making it easy to get the shade angle as you need it and not see reflections which spoil your flying experience!!! Just sayin.....;)

These help, but if you think this is as effective as a good sun shade then I'm guessing you've never tried one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143