DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy a Mavic Pro now or wait?

MavicNewb

Reactions
Hey guys, new to the forums and did a lot of lurking recently. My question is with the new firmware and a bunch of existing threads on how their mavic malfunctioned and what not, is it worth it buying a mavic right now? I'm asking because i live in Seattle, WA and DJI opened up a DJI store about 20mins from me and I believe they might have the Mavic Pro with the Fly More Combo in stock, I've been wanting one but is it worth getting one now and playing around with it even with the sometimes buggy firmware or is it better to possibly wait another month or so until a better firmware gets released? Seattle weather is slowly starting to clear up but still a good amount of rainy days so if its wise to wait a little while longer i can do that.

Reactions: flipf
The Mavic as a platform is stable and to tell you the truth, I have had zero firmware issues since my purchase in Nov. Apple and Google have issues with their software rollouts - it's the price we pay for the pace of advancement we demand. If you want the Mavic, buy it.

Reactions: dewster
DJI Go 4 is the most stable app to date and the latest firmware just enhances the existing versions. I have had zero issues with it. The Mav has been out for 6 months now, and the bugs are rare, but if they do happen, there are some workarounds.

My first buying choice is the place with the best return policy. DJI is not known for their extended return policies, but Amazon, Best Buy (in stock now) and others offer great return policies if youre not happy with it or something is wrong with it.

If you are a patient person, and dont mind waiting a few more months, the new Spark should be out. Its smaller and less features but will cost alot less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
My question is with the new firmware and a bunch of existing threads on how their mavic malfunctioned and what not, is it worth it buying a mavic right now?
This forum will always be littered with problems. It's one of the best places to come for help, so people will continue to come for help.

As for the Mavic, it's a great quadcopter. The current firmware and software is stable. The majority of Mavic owners are not facing the issues you see discussed in this forum. If they were, I suspect we'd see hundreds of new threads created daily about the same problems.

Reactions: JHSlayer
Thanks guys! yea i kind of had that feeling that even though there are a handful of threads some that are worrying to a new buyer that compared to thousands of other people that have already bought them with now issues that I should be technically fine buying one now. I searched amazon and amazon doesnt have any with prime shipping or sold by amazon so ill be at the mercy of 3rd party vendors should i come across any issues or warranty problems, there are also no bestbuy stores locally that has them in stock. Ill be calling my local DJI store to see if they have any instock which im not getting my hopes up yet. At the worst i just want 2-3 days buying from DJI online. I'll also buy DJI Refresh protection plan just incase. I'm looking for the Fly More Combo since that seems to be a better value since i will be planning to take it on travel

Keep in mind that everyone goes to forums like this to talk about their mavic problems. Not that many people take the time to find a forum just to post "Everything's working great!" So your perception of how problematic the mavic is, is probably greatly skewed by this forum.

AND, 90% of the crashes reported on this forum end up being because of some kind of pilot error anyway. (or lack of preparation, not understanding how the mavic or the software works, taking unnecessary risks, or just being plain stupid.)

I can't believe how many newbies think that since the mavic has vision sensors, it can't crash into anything.
Why not just buy a car with collision avoidance and drive drunk?

I got my Mavic in January and fly it as much as I possibly can: daily or weekly at least. I'm on the cusp of buying a fourth battery so I can just fly non-stop all day.:rolleyes: So far I have had zero issues: it has always performed 100% as it's supposed to, predictably and reliably in every situation.

(*I* have made a couple of pilot errors, however).

Reactions: Soundtekk
Go for it! I'm. It says that problems are not possible but many reported issues turn out to be pilot error. In the cases it was an exception, DJI has been fair (my opinion). Get the refresh(I have) and get a third party insurance if you like (I don't) . After that very little to worry about.

The Mavic as a platform is stable and to tell you the truth, I have had zero firmware issues since my purchase in Nov. Apple and Google have issues with their software rollouts - it's the price we pay for the pace of advancement we demand. If you want the Mavic, buy it.

No problems with mine since I twisted the rear motor wires, it was built in October, no firmware problems either, love it, trust it!

The Mavic has been totally solid using both DJI Go4 and the third-party Litchi App. I fly mostly in the mountains in some pretty strong winds and cold temps. There is nothing on the market that even comes close.

Thanks guy!! Just called my local DJI store (only 1 in washington state) and they have both the mavic pro and mavic pro fly more combo in stock! so I'll be heading there shortly to pick one up. Super excited, its partly sunny in seattle so possibility that once batteries are charged up and i can take it for a test flight

Got mine from Best Buy online this past Monday and it has been flawless. Per the S/N it was built March 13th and it seems everyone was awake and caffeinated☕️. Out of about 25 landings now the most it has been off is about 3 inches. So I say go for it but ditto on getting from Best Buy.

Be it the Mavic Pro, version 1, or the futuristic Mavic hover-craft of the future, everyone will experience 'some' level of trouble at one point or another. When they do - they will come here to post their problems. That is why: 1) You should not read the forums as a resource when deciding when/if to buy, and 2) Don't wait - if you want it, buy it! It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Just picked one up for the store. Looked up the serial number on the outside of the box and the serial decoder told me my mavic has a birthdate of December 28th,2016. Anything to worry about with this build date?

Reactions: Qoncussion
This means your Mavic is a Capricorn.

According to the Astrology Website: (no joke - a direct quote)

"Those Born on December 28 try to build a comfortable life for themselves and for those dear to them and crave for stability above all. They are practical beings with their feet well grounded and who prefer establishing some sort of routine and then dealing with well established tasks. They seek for calm and soothing environments to recharge their batteries."

Sounds like you should be good to go. Just don't make too much noise while the batteries are charging.

I started on this forum just a few weeks ago. Was startled by various reports, specifically uncommanded fly-aways. Was satisfied there was nothing more than isolated incidents. Bought a MP about 2 weeks ago. Love it. Maybe 20 flights on it and have had a reliably positive experience. I recommend you buy one now - no need to wait. Fantastic machine, very capable.

I just flew today. It was flawless. I read through the forums. There are a lot of horror stories, but many seem to be related to battery level, distance from home in the wind and Return to Home settings. If you sit too long Mavic 2.0 will be out...and backordered. Lol

I ordered the Mavic Pro in February direct from DJI when their shipping wait time dropped down to 1-3 days. I live in Seattle area also and managed to fly it 30 times in the month of March, despite the weather. The unit has worked perfectly so far, including flights over water. Hope you have fun!

Reactions: MavicNewb
Hey guys, new to the forums and did a lot of lurking recently. My question is with the new firmware and a bunch of existing threads on how their mavic malfunctioned and what not, is it worth it buying a mavic right now? I'm asking because i live in Seattle, WA and DJI opened up a DJI store about 20mins from me and I believe they might have the Mavic Pro with the Fly More Combo in stock, I've been wanting one but is it worth getting one now and playing around with it even with the sometimes buggy firmware or is it better to possibly wait another month or so until a better firmware gets released? Seattle weather is slowly starting to clear up but still a good amount of rainy days so if its wise to wait a little while longer i can do that.

One mostly hears of any bad. I would bet 95% (+/- ) of issues here are user related based on my flying MP for 2 months now. Original blades. The mavic Is remarkable and the software, amazing. I worry every flight that something will go wrong. Knock on wood, so far...perfect.

I'd say Learn it well, read all you can and then read some more. watch video until you know Mavic. Fly close and short in the beginning, 5 flights. Get a feel for it and then you'll see, it's allot of bang for the buck! I love my mavic and the technology it brings to my table. And, I have ins. ;) ................My 2 (two) cents.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54