DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration questions

looopson

Reactions
I'm just trying to go over everything that needs to be calibrated on the Mavic Pro

- Vision sensors
- Compass
- IMU
- Am I missing anything?

Will the DJI Go App notify me anytime any of these need to be done? I know that it will for the IMU...?

I am a little nervous that I'm going to crash this thing if I'm not following a protocol for calibrating these on an ordinary basis. Thanks!

Get ready for various opinions and advice. For what it's worth, I've done no calibrations as I took the "do not do calibrations unless prompted to" at face value. I always check that they look are good pre flight and my Mavic is steady as can be and is always pointing and moving exactly as it says it is. No problems after many flights. No need to over think it in my opinion. I started slow and as I've gained confidence, my flights reflect it.

I to am getting more and more Confused/stressed and worried about flying my Mavic....

I have done a Compass and IMU calibration, because I misread some thread!

I'm now thinking is there a Total Reset/Refresh to start over??

Oh and I'm not getting the best still picture Quality!!

The only items not on your list is to calibrate the camera gimbal to level and the Controller joy sticks.
(The joy sticks are best calibrated away from magnetic interference, such as the magnets along the edge of an iPad or it's case).

I to am getting more and more Confused/stressed and worried about flying my Mavic....

I have done a Compass and IMU calibration, because I misread some thread!

I'm now thinking is there a Total Reset/Refresh to start over??

Oh and I'm not getting the best still picture Quality!!
I wouldn't say you misread anything. Many people swear by calibrations. I just gave my 2 cents. If done correctly, there is no reason calibrations are going to cause problems. I just personally don't want to mess with it if things are working perfectly for me. Sometimes reading through here it seams that every Mavic has some issue. Remember that all the people not having issues don't post about things going great. It's more the ones with issues looking for advise. I know this will be my first stop if problems arise for my Mavic.

The only thing you ever really need to regularly calibrate is the compass, IF you are flying it in a new place that might have different magnetic fields in the area from the earth or other structures - i.e. if you're flying in a new part of town or a different town altogether.

You can always LOOK at your IMU calibration and Compass calibration to make sure they're both in the green. I wouldn't fly unless they ARE BOTH in the green.

I WOULD recalibrate my IMU after a wreck, or a drop, or anything that might have jarred it hard. You can calibrate it any time, really, for peace-of-mind, but if it's already in the "green" zone, there's no reason to.

The only time you'd ever need to recalibrate the vision sensors is if there was something wrong them or they aren't working correctly, or maybe just after a repair of some kind, or a bad crash, maybe.

You can also recalibrate the RC unit, but there is no need to unless it is not working properly, or maybe after it's been repaired for something.

The only thing that the GO app routinely & consistently checks is the IMU cal and the COMPASS cal, (the 2 most important things), and it SHOULD let you know immediately if one of these are too out of wack before you fly. I always glance at mine before each flight just for verification.

If you're going to recalibrate the IMU, watch a YouTube video (several out there) on how to do it correctly.... trying to follow the basic on-screen directions built into the app can be somewhat confusing if you've never done it before, and if you do it wrong (like, NOT on a level surface), your Mavic may be off balance slightly until you recalibrate it correctly.

Don't worry - all these little details become second nature after a while and it won't seem so scary and like such a hassle to have fun. You are wise, though, to be looking into these things NOW and asking questions and being cautious about it at first. There is a lot to consider and a lot at risk. It's amazing how many people plop down $1000 and then crash immediately because of one detail they missed. There IS a lot that can go wrong, but if you're AWARE, and follow a pre-flight checklist, and don't underestimate the braking distance the first time you fly it in Sport mode, then you can fly forever and never have a crash. (or so I'm told - haha) Spend some serious time reading all the crash stories you can on these forums, you can learn a lot about what NOT to do.

If there IS something that you don't understand about the mavic or the app or the controller, GET the answer BEFORE you fly, unless you have no problem plunking down another $1000, or worse yet, seriously hurt someone.

Get ready for various opinions and advice. For what it's worth, I've done no calibrations as I took the "do not do calibrations unless prompted to" at face value. I always check that they look are good pre flight and my Mavic is steady as can be and is always pointing and moving exactly as it says it is. No problems after many flights. No need to over think it in my opinion. I started slow and as I've gained confidence, my flights reflect it.
Thanks! How do you recommend checking everything before allowing it in to the air? Do you have a few pointers? I would guess I probably want to get it in to the area 10 feet high or so and make sure it turns all directions correctly as I use the controller.

The only thing you ever really need to regularly calibrate is the compass, IF you are flying it in a new place that might have different magnetic fields in the area from the earth or other structures - i.e. if you're flying in a new part of town or a different town altogether.

You can always LOOK at your IMU calibration and Compass calibration to make sure they're both in the green. I wouldn't fly unless they ARE BOTH in the green.

I WOULD recalibrate my IMU after a wreck, or a drop, or anything that might have jarred it hard. You can calibrate it any time, really, for peace-of-mind, but if it's already in the "green" zone, there's no reason to.

The only time you'd ever need to recalibrate the vision sensors is if there was something wrong them or they aren't working correctly, or maybe just after a repair of some kind, or a bad crash, maybe.

You can also recalibrate the RC unit, but there is no need to unless it is not working properly, or maybe after it's been repaired for something.

The only thing that the GO app routinely & consistently checks is the IMU cal and the COMPASS cal, (the 2 most important things), and it SHOULD let you know immediately if one of these are too out of wack before you fly. I always glance at mine before each flight just for verification.

If you're going to recalibrate the IMU, watch a YouTube video (several out there) on how to do it correctly.... trying to follow the basic on-screen directions built into the app can be somewhat confusing if you've never done it before, and if you do it wrong (like, NOT on a level surface), your Mavic may be off balance slightly until you recalibrate it correctly.

Don't worry - all these little details become second nature after a while and it won't seem so scary and like such a hassle to have fun. You are wise, though, to be looking into these things NOW and asking questions and being cautious about it at first. There is a lot to consider and a lot at risk. It's amazing how many people plop down $1000 and then crash immediately because of one detail they missed. There IS a lot that can go wrong, but if you're AWARE, and follow a pre-flight checklist, and don't underestimate the braking distance the first time you fly it in Sport mode, then you can fly forever and never have a crash. (or so I'm told - haha) Spend some serious time reading all the crash stories you can on these forums, you can learn a lot about what NOT to do.

If there IS something that you don't understand about the mavic or the app or the controller, GET the answer BEFORE you fly, unless you have no problem plunking down another $1000, or worse yet, seriously hurt someone.

Very helpful. Thank you

Thanks! How do you recommend checking everything before allowing it in to the air? Do you have a few pointers? I would guess I probably want to get it in to the area 10 feet high or so and make sure it turns all directions correctly as I use the controller.

I always check both the compass and IMU while Mavic is warming up in the menus in the app assuring both are in the green. Also check all the other settings through the menu at that time. It becomes habit and takes very little time. Make sure you look over the Mavic itself before powering up too. Especially props for damage and assure unobstructed/clean sensors.

I'm just trying to go over everything that needs to be calibrated on the Mavic Pro

- Vision sensors
- Compass
- IMU
- Am I missing anything?

Will the DJI Go App notify me anytime any of these need to be done? I know that it will for the IMU...?

I am a little nervous that I'm going to crash this thing if I'm not following a protocol for calibrating these on an ordinary basis. Thanks!

don't touch IMU, just if the GO app ask you for calibrate! only one thing you have to calibrate: compass. nothing more.

ps. i almost forgot. read the manual and threads on this forum. you can learn a lot ;) the people of mavicpilots can help you, if you have some question or If you get confused about something.

happy flying!

Last edited:

@JHSlayer right. i think it is a good thing, if you have pre-flight checklist. you can found some in this forum. i use @ChasD's checklist.

now i go to drink a coffee ;)

Reactions: looopson
Really you just need to check the on-screen map and verify that the icon pointer for the Mavic and the blue dot that shows your controller location are correctly aligned and where it actually is . If that is correct then the compass and GPS are within spec and the Mavic knows where it is at . Calibrating things just to be calibrating induces more chance that you will get a bad calibration . Just be sensible on your first few flights and keep it close to be sure things act as they should . Don't make your first flight a mile out like I read about all the time ,LOL.

You are more likely to have problems if you DO calibrate on a regular basis.

Don't overthink this. Unless prompted to, you need not calibrate anything. Upon start up, your opening screen will tell you if anything needs attention. This is DJI protocol for the Mavic, not my opinion. The sensors are much more stable and redundant than previous drones. Even if you do get an error, first attempt to move the Mavics location to see if the error clears before calibrating. I've been flying drones for four years now and I am convinced that unnecessary, improper, or negatively influenced calibrations contribute to a lot of inexplicable behaviors and incidents.

That said, the thing not specifically monitored by the software, is the centering of your joysticks. Make sure they all read zero, before taking off the first time and occasionally thereafter.

I have never calibrated a single thing with over 175 flights, in a range of 400 miles, and it is pretty much flawless.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to calibrate the compass right out of the box. After that point, follow the recommendations in the Compass Calibration Guide.

The IMU, remote controller, sensors, and gimbal might not need to be calibrated out of the box. If you want to do the calibrations to ensure all is in working order, then it's perfectly fine to do them if you perform the calibrations properly. If interested, you can find videos showing how to do calibrate those components here.

FWIW, it would be best to ignore advice like "I never calibrated and all is fine", "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or "don't calibrate unless prompted by DJI GO". All Mavics are hand-built and calibrated one at a time in the factory. So, don't expect your calibrations to be perfect right out of the box just because someone else's calibrations were perfect. You should check your own equipment and determine whether or not the calibrations are needed or re-do them to ensure all components are calibrated properly.

Reactions: Strafe1
It's a good idea to calibrate the compass right out of the box. After that point, follow the recommendations in the Compass Calibration Guide.

The IMU, remote controller, sensors, and gimbal might not need to be calibrated out of the box. If you want to do the calibrations to ensure all is in working order, then it's perfectly fine to do them if you perform the calibrations properly. If interested, you can find videos showing how to do calibrate those components here.

FWIW, it would be best to ignore advice like "I never calibrated and all is fine", "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or "don't calibrate unless prompted by DJI GO". All Mavics are hand-built and calibrated one at a time in the factory. So, don't expect your calibrations to be perfect right out of the box just because someone else's calibrations were perfect. You should check your own equipment and determine whether or not the calibrations are needed or re-do them to ensure all components are calibrated properly.
Not my advice, msinger, straight out of the manual. The point being, perhaps it isn't perfect out of the box, but as I understand it, the software is designed to monitor for that. Also, IMO calibrations in factory controlled conditions would tend to have better outcomes than those done in the field with questionable influences.
I've been flying and calibrating drones for years now and not advocating to NEVER calibrate, just when it is actually indicated or potentially warrented.

Last edited:
Not my advice, msinger, straight out of the manual.
I only see it mentions to calibrate the compass when prompted by DJI GO. Regardless, the manual is not always the best source of information. That's why great forums like this one exist :)

IMO calibrations in factory controlled conditions would tend to have better outcomes than those done in the field with questionable influences.
If you do the calibrations properly, they can be done just as well.

I've been flying and calibrating drones for years now and not advocating to NEVER calibrate, just when it is actually indicated or potentially warrented.
Understood. My comment was not meant to target you. My point is that everyone should be checking their aircraft to see whether or not they need to be calibrated. Furthermore, doing the calibrations to double-check everything will not hurt anything. I know some people are super scared to do the calibrations, but there just is no sound reasoning behind that mindset.

Last edited:
It's interesting how many people will put 100% faith in the Go App, and others will have issues with the App on a daily basis. Same with DJI Care. The Care reps can have good advice, and then some will give such poor advice that you wonder if they know anything about the Mavic at all. Most of us will probably just trust what we're told (either by the App or DJI care) because we don't have much knowledge of the engineering inside the Mavic. Thanks to many on this forum, a great deal can be learned though. I trust my exactness to detail, so when I calibrate my IMU or compass, I have faith that I can do it as well or better than the tech at the bench doing one after another in quick succession. Thanks to all those on here that have brought knowledge, experience and understanding to people like me.

I calibrate my compass when told to (which is fairly frequently). Otherwise, I leave it alone.

I check IMU calibration after traveling but before I go out to fly. If it says it's OK, I leave it alone. I don't want to have to do an IMU calibration in the field because I won't have a level surface on which to do it.

I confirm that the app is happy with IMU and compass calibration before I leave the house and right before I fly. If it says it's OK, I leave everything alone.

I'm one of those people who did all the calibrations before I even flew. I do actually trust DJI to have shipped my drone correctly calibrated when it left their hands. I don't necessarily trust everything poor little Dronie went through between leaving DJI and arriving on my porch. Besides, I figure sooner or later I'll need to do them anyway and it's better to know how to do them from practice. Things like this always seem to pop up for me when I'm away from home and don't have all my usual stuff (computer, cables, level surface away from EM interference, etc.) with me.

I by no means meant to give advice. More was meaning to give my personal experience. I apologize if I didn't make it clear that I was purely saying what worked for me. I thought the OP was looking for various opinions. Trust me, I'm well aware I'm no expert. But I do have my own personal experience I can relay. I will try to be more clear that it is only my own experiences in the future.

I by no means meant to give advice. More was meaning to give my personal experience. I apologize if I didn't make it clear that I was purely saying what worked for me.
No worries. I'm just giving you my personal opinion from my own experience too. Everyone will need to make up their own minds ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada