DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calling the tower

dacarter

Reactions
Just to share my experience following this rule.... I'm in the suburbs of Houston within 5 miles of two very small grass runway airstrips. The rules about letting these small airports know you are flying seem kindof silly, but I thought I'd go through the process. I called the first, and it rang and rang and eventually went to a fax machine. I called the 2nd, (a grass runway airport with "International" in the name, go figure...) and a guy answered. I explained I wasn't flying today but wanted to check the phone#s and the process. He said he gets lots of calls and when people ask if they can fly, he says no. I explained that it doesn't work that way, it's just a notification from the drone owner and he seemed to understand that. I pressed further and asked when I tell him I'm flying, what does he do with that information. Does he get on the radio and tell all small planes I'm flying and what area I'm in? No, he does nothing with the information and eventually it became clear he thinks this rule is silly as well and he doesn't really want my call. The final question was, if I stay under 400' is there really any concern and he replied no, no concern at all, unless I was right in the approach path close to the airport, which I am not.

I fly full sized aircraft.....if I am at 400' or below five miles from the field the tower already knows because I have called MAYDAY....... and I am not worried about drone traffic AT ALL....

On short final at 1 mile I will be getting close..... at 300' I am coming over the fence.....

The rule is silly.

Just to share my experience following this rule.... I'm in the suburbs of Houston within 5 miles of two very small grass runway airstrips. The rules about letting these small airports know you are flying seem kindof silly, but I thought I'd go through the process. I called the first, and it rang and rang and eventually went to a fax machine. I called the 2nd, (a grass runway airport with "International" in the name, go figure...) and a guy answered. I explained I wasn't flying today but wanted to check the phone#s and the process. He said he gets lots of calls and when people ask if they can fly, he says no. I explained that it doesn't work that way, it's just a notification from the drone owner and he seemed to understand that. I pressed further and asked when I tell him I'm flying, what does he do with that information. Does he get on the radio and tell all small planes I'm flying and what area I'm in? No, he does nothing with the information and eventually it became clear he thinks this rule is silly as well and he doesn't really want my call. The final question was, if I stay under 400' is there really any concern and he replied no, no concern at all, unless I was right in the approach path close to the airport, which I am not.

You did what you had to do.
I think there is a good deal of misconception about this issue.
Because you mow or pave a runway doesn't give you any authority to control or in any way regulate aircraft.
The rule is silly, and I'm sure it will be cleaned up, but unless its an operating FAA tower, notification satisfies the rule, as long as you avoid all other aircraft and otherwise comply with regulations.
If an FAA tower tells you no, and you are in their airspace, as delineated on a sectional chart, you had better comply.

Just to share another experience, at a regional airport near me (commuter jets, but still no tower), I physically stopped by since it's <2 miles from my house. The receptionist was said I should talk to the airport director (it's owned by the county, so has a county employee responsible for overseeing daily operations). He wasn't there, so she took my name and number. He called back promptly, apologized for missing me, and basically said thanks for reaching out proactively. He asked if it was under 55 pounds and if I was flying professionally or as a hobbyist (basically trying to figure out what regulations applied). He said I have your number an you have mine and that was about it. It seemed I was the first person to call him, and he wasn't quite sure what to say. The next day he called back and had obviously done some research and was very helpful - explained the fixed flight patterns since there is not tower, so all aircraft follow a prescribed approach and takeoff. We discussed areas to avoid based on this, altitudes planes would be flying, where I would be flying and altitudes I would be flying, and he verified I understood all the FAA requirements (line of sight, flying in day, 400 ft elevation, yield to commercial aircraft, etc.). He also mentioned checking out the B4U Fly FAA app when elsewhere to check for similar restrictions. I told him about the DJI online map, and built in notifications in the drone. IT was a good exchange, and he was happy I was being proactive and responsible, and hopefully that goes a long way for making it easier for future enthusiasts contacting him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Correy
I am also from Houston and I am having trouble trying to find good places to fly and get shots of nice scenery... been planing to take a trip to galveston though. Do you know of any nice places? I live in Pearland but their isn't much to look at out here except for the art work off of 288 before you hit 59 on the feeder road. [emoji2]

Correy Miller

Just to share another experience, at a regional airport near me (commuter jets, but still no tower), I physically stopped by since it's <2 miles from my house. The receptionist was said I should talk to the airport director (it's owned by the county, so has a county employee responsible for overseeing daily operations). He wasn't there, so she took my name and number. He called back promptly, apologized for missing me, and basically said thanks for reaching out proactively. He asked if it was under 55 pounds and if I was flying professionally or as a hobbyist (basically trying to figure out what regulations applied). He said I have your number an you have mine and that was about it. It seemed I was the first person to call him, and he wasn't quite sure what to say. The next day he called back and had obviously done some research and was very helpful - explained the fixed flight patterns since there is not tower, so all aircraft follow a prescribed approach and takeoff. We discussed areas to avoid based on this, altitudes planes would be flying, where I would be flying and altitudes I would be flying, and he verified I understood all the FAA requirements (line of sight, flying in day, 400 ft elevation, yield to commercial aircraft, etc.). He also mentioned checking out the B4U Fly FAA app when elsewhere to check for similar restrictions. I told him about the DJI online map, and built in notifications in the drone. IT was a good exchange, and he was happy I was being proactive and responsible, and hopefully that goes a long way for making it easier for future enthusiasts contacting him.
Thanks for sharing. Being Pro-active can be a good thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent