DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Focus Functions - Manual Focus & Continuous Auto

Yes, the focus appears to change smoothly as I adjust the slider.
Thanks msinger, this is great news to me. I really was starting to think this feature didn't make it to production units. It seems like using the manual focus would be the best way to ensure you are truly focused to infinity when you want to be focused on the distant horizon. The ability toggle from manual to tap-to-focus looks like it will be really useful too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick
By default, manual focus is disabled. It must be turned on in the "General Settings" section of DJI GO.

View attachment 918

Once enabled, you can toggle between automatic focus and manual focus by clicking "AF/MF" at the top, right of DJI GO.

View attachment 919

When using manual focus, the focus slider will appear on the right side of DJI GO.

View attachment 920

You can adjust the focus distance by moving the slider up and down. The focus changes in real-time as you move the slider. There are little tick marks on the slider, but it doesn't jump to those ticks as you move change it. It seems to move fluidly from top to bottom.

I'm using an Android device and in my General settings I don't have an option to enable Manual Focus. Did I miss something?

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
I'm using an Android device and in my General settings I don't have an option to enable Manual Focus. Did I miss something?
I don't see it in the Android version of DJI GO either.

My general settings on the Android app don't show an option for enabling auto or manual focus....anyone else have this issue?

The manual focus setting is not available in the current version of DJI GO for Android.

I'm sure they will. Android features sometimes lag behind iOS for some reason.

It's available in DJI GO 4 on android.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but...

When you turn on manual focus and pick a subject to focus on, say something in the foreground, will that make the background out of focus?

It seems that when I get the foreground in focus and the background is still also in focus.

It would be great if you could have something like a subject either in foreground or background in focus and the opposite out of focus to give it a nice effect.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but...

When you turn on manual focus and pick a subject to focus on, say something in the foreground, will that make the background out of focus?

It seems that when I get the foreground in focus and the background is still also in focus.

It would be great if you could have something like a subject either in foreground or background in focus and the opposite out of focus to give it a nice effect.

Put simply, you can achieve the effecr you describe but only at a relatively close distance from your subject. Anything within three or four feet can be captured in sharp focus with the background appearing "soft". Due to the constraints of the camera it's not possible to extend much beyond this distance.

Reactions: Keth Unwin
Put simply, you can achieve the effecr you describe but only at a relatively close distance from your subject. Anything within three or four feet can be captured in sharp focus with the background appearing "soft". Due to the constraints of the camera it's not possible to extend much beyond this distance.
I see. Thanks for the reply and clearing that up. I think I'll just stick with auto focus.

Unless there is some great reason to manual focus? I just find it hard to really see if I am in the correct focus or not when it's sunny out and have a small screen. Even with iPad I find it difficult.

I see. Thanks for the reply and clearing that up. I think I'll just stick with auto focus.

Unless there is some great reason to manual focus? I just find it hard to really see if I am in the correct focus or not when it's sunny out and have a small screen. Even with iPad I find it difficult.
My drone it's in for a defect repair and I haven't used it with the latest version of the app to judge how reliable auto focus is. However, to avoid unwanted focus issues of focus "hunting" or unwanted changes in subject focus, manual focus would be my preferred setting. Tap to focus once at a subject close to infinity, say 100 feet away, and pretty much everything will appear in sharp focus from around 20 feet away and beyond.

Reactions: Keth Unwin
Not quite.
Hyperfocal distance is the distance set in focus at which infinity is just within the depth of field.

...on a second thought you actually should be correct that this is also the maximized depth of field ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje