DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera has terrible wavy lines throughout

So I took my brand new mavic pro out for its first flight today after waiting for 2.5 months....

The video coming from the camera looked like an old analog TV set at times, where the tuner couldn't quite lock on to the signal.... lots of wavy lines.

I was wrong... it's what the CAMERA RECORDED!!!

Is anyone else having this issue?

Yep. Same lines. Pretty windy (Gusts maybe to 20mph), low 30s. Shooting at 2.7 K. Looked terrible.

It's FIXED!! It appears my issue has been resolved without having to send the drone in for repairs.

I had contacted DJI on Sunday and heard back yesterday. They recommended the following and I've now flown two 15 minute flights in similar temps, winds, and bright sun with no wavy lines / jello. Here's what they had me do.

1. Upgrade to latest firmware (mine was already up to date).
2. IMU calibration
3. Gimbal calibration
4. Camera reset (within the camera settings, click on cog wheel, or wrench depending on version, and tap "camera reset").

That's it! That last one erases all your camera configs so, i flew once with the default settings and again after i changed to my preferred resolution, color profile, etc. I ran into a small issue where it wouldn't let me select 4k video... it was no longer an option, but a reboot brought it back.

Hopefully this works for others as well. I'll keep flying and will update everyone if anything changes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: whareable
Hmm, this guy believes it may be due to cold temperatures. Check out what he tried doing to alleviate the issue. I'd be curious to know it that stops the jello effect for you as well.

The guy in the video says (in the comments) that his jello issues were fixed by doing an IMU calibration, a gimbal calibration, update firmware and reset camera settings. I've seen other references to doing an IMU calibtation for jello, but I really don't understand why that would work. They seem to be two totally unrelated systems.

It's FIXED!! It appears my issue has been resolved without having to send the drone in for repairs.

I had contacted DJI on Sunday and heard back yesterday. They recommended the following and I've now flown two 15 minute flights in similar temps, winds, and bright sun with no wavy lines / jello. Here's what they had me do.

2. IMU calibration
3. Gimbal calibration
4. Camera reset (within the camera settings, click on cog wheel, or wrench depending on version, and tap "camera reset").

That's it! That last one erases all your camera configs so, i flew once with the default settings and again after i changed to my preferred resolution, color profile, etc. I ran into a small issue where it wouldn't let me select 4k video... it was no longer an option, but a reboot brought it back.

Hopefully this works for others as well. I'll keep flying and will update everyone if anything changes.

That's interesting... not sure why an IMU calibration would have anything to do with jello though.

That's interesting... not sure why an IMU calibration would have anything to do with jello though.
I'm not sure either, but to be clear, an IMU calibration, by itself, is not what fixed the issue (that was tried before and didn't work). It was doing the IMU calibration, them the gimbal calibration, and then the camera reset...all 3 are what fixed the issue. Of course, that's with the latest firmware installed as well.

The guy in the video says (in the comments) that his jello issues were fixed by doing an IMU calibration, a gimbal calibration, update firmware and reset camera settings. I've seen other references to doing an IMU calibtation for jello, but I really don't understand why that would work. They seem to be two totally unrelated systems.
Actually, that comment is from me. :) Please see my post above this one regarding the fact that it wasn't just an IMU calibration that fixed the issue.

Actually, that comment is from me. :) Please see my post above this one regarding the fact that it wasn't just an IMU calibration that fixed the issue.

Yeah, I realized that you were the OP from the video after I posted... glad it fixed it for you. I'm not suggesting that it was just the IMU calibration alone that fixed it, but I just wonder why that is part of the required fix when it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the camera/gimbal... I'm not doubting you because I've seen other references to the IMU/camera correlation... I just don't understand why one would affect the other.

Yeah, I realized that you were the OP from the video after I posted... glad it fixed it for you. I'm not suggesting that it was just the IMU calibration alone that fixed it, but I just wonder why that is part of the required fix when it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the camera/gimbal... I'm not doubting you because I've seen other references to the IMU/camera correlation... I just don't understand why one would affect the other.
I'm not sure either. I was wondering if that sequence is possibly some sort of master reset. In reply glad it fixed the issue though and hope it fixes it for others as well.

Worth noting, DJI support was excellent to work with. Turnaround time was 1 business day for email responses and their email contained detailed instructions with screenshots. I was pleased with the level of service.

I'm not sure either. I was wondering if that sequence is possibly some sort of master reset. In reply glad it fixed the issue though and hope it fixes it for others as well.

Worth noting, DJI support was excellent to work with. Turnaround time was 1 business day for email responses and their email contained detailed instructions with screenshots. I was pleased with the level of service.

What was DJI's turnaround time? At this moment I am decidedly UNhappy with their turnaround time. I got an email that my case was expedited and a new Fly More package quickly.

UPS delivered my defective mavic Tuesday. It still doesn't even show my defective unit having been received in yet. I chatted with DJI last night and was assured they have it but unneeded to wait 24-48 hours more for any more information. THIS is "expedited" service?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What was DJI's turnaround time? At this moment I am decidedly UNhappy with their turnaround time. I got an email that my case was expedited and a new Fly More package quickly.

UPS delivered my defective mavic Tuesday. It still doesn't even show my defective unit having been received in yet. I chatted with DJI last night and was assured they have it but unneeded to wait 24-48 hours more for any more information. THIS is "expedited" service?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I didn't have to send mine in for repair so I cannot comment on their turnaround time for repairs they do themselves. From reading blogs and watching YouTube videos, I've heard timeframes of about one week, from the time they receive it, which I think is extremely good for a company their size.

Do we know if the gimbal has it's own sensors? It's really tiny and might not have an accel sensor. If this is the case it would have to rely on the internal IMU to find gravity and adjust accordingly.

2. IMU calibration
3. Gimbal calibration

Thank you for posting this. I just started a new thread, because I'm having the same problem. And I have tried these same things, in the same order. But I'll try them again.

I'll also make a reference to this post in my thread!

Thank you for posting this. I just started a new thread, because I'm having the same problem. And I have tried these same things, in the same order. But I'll try them again.

I'll also make a reference to this post in my thread!
Yeah but don't be too excited... the replacement unit is also defective. It keeps losing GPS a few minutes into flights. Almost crashed in downtown Atlanta yesterday when it lost GPS and started drifting around

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa