DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera issue while flying in sport mode.

Charles C

Reactions
So I received my Mavic Pro the other day and I have been flying it non stop since. I have noticed though that if I put it in sport mode and pin the stick forward every few seconds the camera will vibrate rapidly and then stop. It only happens when in sport mode travelling at full speed. The camera only moves a fraction of a degree left and right but it creates several seconds of very blurry video. I will post a video as soon as I am home but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to resolve it. I really hope I don't have to send it back in.

So I received my Mavic Pro the other day and I have been flying it non stop since. I have noticed though that if I put it in sport mode and pin the stick forward every few seconds the camera will vibrate rapidly and then stop. It only happens when in sport mode travelling at full speed. The camera only moves a fraction of a degree left and right but it creates several seconds of very blurry video. I will post a video as soon as I am home but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to resolve it. I really hope I don't have to send it back in.

Sounds like the gimbal can't entirely dampen camera movement enough during Sport mode, which is characterized by snappier movements all around.

Some others have mentioned that the camera has some stability issues in sport mode at WOT. I am curious if the front mounted camera is having trouble with wind buffeting, where as the P-series cameras are underneath. I haven't experienced this yet and have flown sport @ WOT a lot. Were you flying into a stiff wind at the time?

I never use sports mode for filming. I only use it to fight the wind or trying to get to a POI quickly.
Users should practice sports mode for RTH as this can save your bird if there is high winds.

So after flying it more I have found that it will happen in P-mode as well as Sport as long as it is flying forward at full speed. If I tilt the gimble down past 45 degrees it goes away, but any straighter than 45 degrees and the camera image will "buzz" every few seconds. I have been watching Youtube videos of other people flying and havent noticed it in any of them, so I think it is going to have to go back to DJI.

What is your gimbal pitch restriction (30 degrees) setting at Gimbal / Extended Settings? (I don't know how the wording is in English) Perhaps it's hitting the limit in that situation. Toggle this setting and try again. Maybe the propellers will show up in the video then, but whatever...

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
I originally thought the same thing so I turned the setting on to allow the gimbal to tilt up and it doesn't help unfortunately.

I finally got around to uploading a video illustrating the problem. I have since sent my Mavic back to DJI for a refund. I am not sure whether I want to wait for the Mavic 2 or possibly a different quad, like the Phantom 4 Pro. I am rather disappointed as I really loved my Mavic, but this issue along with the overall image quality make me feel like I should spend my money elsewhere.

Sorry about the low quality I had to use Windows Movie Maker and upload on a very slow connection at work so I didn't post it at full resolution to save time.

The video looks like a focus issue, try to set the focus to manually by touch screen, not auto, I think it should works.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The video looks like a focus issue, try to set the focus to manually by touch screen, not auto, I think it should works.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I could have probably focused that shot better, the issue is not the focus but the gimbal intermittently vibrating while flying.

Last edited:
I'm seeing camera vibrations too. You calibrated the gimbal?

I calibrated the gimbal, IMU, compass, tried different firmware but nothing worked. DJI requested that I send it in for repair after showing them a video of the problem. I decided to return it as I had only had it a week and didnt want to already have to repair the unit.

I finally got around to uploading a video illustrating the problem. I have since sent my Mavic back to DJI for a refund. I am not sure whether I want to wait for the Mavic 2 or possibly a different quad, like the Phantom 4 Pro. I am rather disappointed as I really loved my Mavic, but this issue along with the overall image quality make me feel like I should spend my money elsewhere.

Sorry about the low quality I had to use Windows Movie Maker and upload on a very slow connection at work so I didn't post it at full resolution to save time.

How does the return process work with DJI when I buy direct? I'm worried about having problems if I buy direct and I don't want to pay shipping back to California if I want to return it for a refund.

How does the return process work with DJI when I buy direct? I'm worried about having problems if I buy direct and I don't want to pay shipping back to California if I want to return it for a refund.

I purchased it from Newegg but the order was fulfilled by DJI directly. After doing the return request on Newegg's website I received an RMA number and information about where to ship the item. From that point on I have been communicating with DJI directly and so far has gone smoothly. I sent the Mavic Monday so I am still waiting for it to arrive there. They said they will inspect to make sure its in good condition and then issue the refund with no restocking fees.

I did have to pay for shipping back to DJI, but luckily my work lets me use our UPS account to ship personal items ;)

I don't know if they treat Newegg orders different then direct ones through their site. I would get a breakdown of their return policy before purchasing it or order from a company that has a better return policy.

I purchased it from Newegg but the order was fulfilled by DJI directly. After doing the return request on Newegg's website I received an RMA number and information about where to ship the item. From that point on I have been communicating with DJI directly and so far has gone smoothly. I sent the Mavic Monday so I am still waiting for it to arrive there. They said they will inspect to make sure its in good condition and then issue the refund with no restocking fees.

I did have to pay for shipping back to DJI, but luckily my work lets me use our UPS account to ship personal items ;)

I don't know if they treat Newegg orders different then direct ones through their site. I would get a breakdown of their return policy before purchasing it or order from a company that has a better return policy.

Thanks.

So I assume you were responsible for shipping back to California (vs. China)?

FYI you're probably not doing this, but if you fly with the bubble on in sport mode you'll get shake.

iPhone 6S

Cool just thought I'd mention because I've done a bunch of testing while trying to sort out jello issues (while not in sport mode). Dji suggested the bubble which didn't help and made things noticeably shakey in sport mode.

iPhone 6S

I see something similar when I am in sports mode also. I have not seen it in P mode at all. Here is what mine looks like.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov