DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

strider

Reactions
Just got my Mavic last week and have been flying it every day since. Yesterday and today I had to VERY confusing and disconcerting episodes. I would really appreciate any feedback and help to find a solution.

My Mavic set-up:
- Mavic Build date: 3/25/2017
- Mavic Arrival to me: 4/20/2017
- Firmware: Updated to .600 on it's arrival on 4/20/2017
- Phone: iPhone 7, latest iOS
- DJI Go 4: Latest version as of 4/20/2017

Pre 4/24/2017:
First couple flights I encountered compass errors occasionally but otherwise the drone flew normally. On 4/23/2017 I did a compass re-calibration.

4/24/2017:
Battery 1: Drone flew just fine, nothing abnormal. I then left that location and drove about 15 miles away to a new location which was a meadow, which took about 1.5 - 2 hours to arrive at.
Battery 2: Drone flew very well, I was flying through a meadow and got about 5000 feet away before I started to lose signal, was able to turn around and fly back home. Nothing, I feel, was unusual.
Battery 3: Got about 15-20 minutes into flight, in the same meadow with the same flight path and was heading back to myself, but taking my time and getting great video. Suddenly, the video feed shook, then cut out. I lost all video feed and the stats for the camera went all to N/A. I freak out slightly, start turning the drone around, and increase its height. I am able to visually locate it so I know it's still in the air. Then the camera feed turns back on but the camera feed doing crazy things. It's hard to describe because I was pretty amp-ed at the time but the camera was rapidly turning to different directions. I was able to bring it back home and packed up for the day. Got home, watched the video feed and all it shows is that I was flying normally and then suddenly the video feed stops at the same time of the incident and that is it.

4/25/2017:
Battery 1: Drone flew just fine. Same meadow location, nothing unusual happened, was able to get about 3000' away before the video feed started to get spotty but this time I was flying at a much lower elevation compared to the day before. Brought the drone back to me for a fresh battery.
Battery 2: I walked into the meadow to a new start point of my flight. Was doing Tri-pod mode over a creek and practicing my controls for smooth video. I am not sure exactly, but maybe 500-1000 feet away from myself the drone did the same exact thing as the day before. The camera shook, then died on me, all camera stats went to N/A. This time I was a little better prepared, I was able to see the drone and knew it was still in the air. And I saw the same thing as the day before: The camera booted back up, I think it was doing a gimble check since the video feed showed the view moving around in crazy motions, and then I was able to see myself and started to fly back home but the video feed was roughly 45 degrees tilted and as I flew back to myself it slowly evened out to level. When I got the drone back to myself the video feed was level and normal. I checked video when I got home and it showed the same as yesterday, recorded video suddenly stops at the start of the incident and that's it.

I was able to download my flight logs. I tried to upload the flight log from today but this website says its too big. If someone wants to see it I can upload it to somewhere else (where?).

Thanks for any help or insight for these strange occurrences.

-Nick

It happens to mine to some extent - not moving all over the place, just a quick reset / stop recording then fine again.

What I'd like to know is if this is a common KNOWN issue (I've seen many people mention it) and what is DJI's standpoint on it....is this something that can and has been fixed? Has anyone here on here sent back their drone because of it, and got back something that works... is this normal behavior for the Mavic?

"Strange occurrences "

I think there is an underground military installation or an alien colony out in that meadow.

Seriously, if you are getting no other issues, such as signal, etc. It does tend to implicate the camera/gimbal, or related controls. I didn't see where you did a gimbal calibration, and I'm assuming you aren't getting gimbal errors?

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

That video does look similar to what I saw when the video feed reconnected.

I have never seen a gimble error before and I have not re-calibrated the gimble either. Maybe that worth a shot...? No other issues yet, everything else has been stable. I even checked the interference on the remote before my lasy flight and there is absolutely zero interference on the whole spectrum, so it can't be that.

Is this an issue with all firmwares or just .600?

I would try not having any video cache whatsoever taking place.

Honestly, one way to find out is to downgrade to .550 ( the most stable FW for me to date, at least to me it is )
and see whether the issue crops up again..

I'm having exactly the same issue, the camera reset and restart almost every time I hit record.
Did all calibrations many times and nothing seems solve the problem.
The drone flyies perfectly, the horizon is fixed this is the only issue it has but it sucks.
What I learned about it is that the configurations reset to the same config it was when the mavic was turned on, so I turn it on make all camera adjustments then I restart the mavic, this way when the camera restart by it self when recording it goes back to the same configuration. I don't see any solution other than sending it back. I recorded the screen with litchi but it happens exactly the same with djigo4

I'm having exactly the same issue, the camera reset and restart almost every time I hit record.
Did all calibrations many times and nothing seems solve the problem.
The drone flyies perfectly, the horizon is fixed this is the only issue it has but it sucks.
What I learned about it is that the configurations reset to the same config it was when the mavic was turned on, so I turn it on make all camera adjustments then I restart the mavic, this way when the camera restart by it self when recording it goes back to the same configuration. I don't see any solution other than sending it back. I recorded the screen with litchi but it happens exactly the same with djigo4
Im very curious to see if sending it back would help...I keep seeing threads every other day regarding this issue...must be a hardware limitation.

Honestly, one way to find out is to downgrade to .550 ( the most stable FW for me to date, at least to me it is )
and see whether the issue crops up again..

I had video issue while on .600 and rolling back to .550 cleared it up.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been busy with work but hoping to get out, still using .600 and see how often I can get this problem to happen. Then try to roll back to .550 and see what happens. I'll update when I know more.

Thank you for the tip, I just downgraded to .550 and tested. It actually got better but did not solve at all, now I can record up to 5 min before the camera restarts.

In your situation I would consider setting up a completely different device to see if there is any noticeable differences. If there's not, then it just might be time to send the aircraft to dji for repair.

Format the SD card, and/or try a different card if you have not already.

I am having the same issue. It just happens randomly. Any update on this thread? Did you send it back to DJI?

I have been seeing many posts in different forms about lychee creating lots of bugs with the mavic so you may want to check that out and if that is a factor eliminated for the moment just a test normal flight

^^ It happens on both the dji go app and litchi. Perhaps even less on litchi.

Latest firmware, various FAST memory cards. Clear and very mild wind conditions. Video cache on and off. I think this is a fundamental hardware flaw / limtation or processing issue.

Would love to know if anyone has had their drone fixed via dji regarding this issue. No one seems to have answered that question yet...

For sure its a hardware issue, It does not happen all the time, but it happens, and unfortunately I will have to send it back, it's very difficult for me since i don't live in US but I I'm sending. It does not get worst than this but its a camera problem and it's bothering me.

I did everything possible trying to solve this, many times and nothing works, always the same, IMU Calibration, compass calibration, Camera reset, gimbal calibration, control calibration, Restored to factory settings with dji Assistant, downgraded firmware to .500 and to .550, reupgraded firmware to .600, did all again and nothing solved this issue, It flyes solid, it goes beyond imagination, but when i start recording the ******* camera reset and restarts to the configurations seted when the mavic was turned on, sometimes take 4 - 5 min, and sometimes take less than a minute.
I could live with this but i'm very perfectionist to accept that.

Beyond all this, there is the fear of send it back and get a refurbished one or with some other kind of problem worse than this...

Cruel world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000