DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Tilt on sport mode

Reactions
Whenever my mavic is switched to sport mode or I go full throttle in regular mode the camera seems to "tilt" sideways so the horizon is not level. Once the drone stops moving it slowly resets to be level with the horizon. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am not sure it is normal, in sport mode I can see you overloading the gimbal and causing something like that but regular mode should be good. I have not noticed this on my drone but maybe others have, I will watch for it.

tilt the camera a little more down.. the overload is from looking up too much and the mavic doing full fwd angle.

Reactions: recon1172
I have seen it a couple of times. Oddly enough, it doesn't happen all the time. In fact, most flights I can be WOT in sport mode, and it's level as can be. Other times it's so bad I think I've turned on the FPV view.

Also seeing same thing. But is a recent development after upgrading to latest firmware... downgraded and is still doing it...

I've been able to reproduce the tilt consistently. If you dog-walk forward - push the right stick to the 10 o'clock position with the camera level to see the horizon, the camera will begin leaning. The longer you hold, the harder the lean. It would appear the gimbal can't compensate for the forward and left/right tilt while going max speed.

Same issue on mine, tried imu and gimbal calibrations this eve, will be flying this weekend to check for any improvements. I've been looking at a lot of mavic footage online and I don't think it's present for most which leads me to believe that either my (and possibly your) mavic is faulty or this did indeed become an issue with the latest firmware with the notes mentioning "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures"

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Same issue on mine, tried imu and gimbal calibrations this eve, will be flying this weekend to check for any improvements. I've been looking at a lot of mavic footage online and I don't think it's present for most which leads me to believe that either my (and possibly your) mavic is faulty or this did indeed become an issue with the latest firmware with the notes mentioning "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures"

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Since I'm just flying for fun, not for business or creating works of art, it's not a deal breaker. Besides, now that I know the precise stick combinations that cause it, I can avoid it, or at a minimum, tilt the camera down just enough to hide the horizon while I dog-walk to the left. I really would like to know if others can investigate whether they're seeing the same tilt with the same stick movements.

The rotation of the camera lens (to compensate for roll) is not symmetric. That is, it can turn one way 90° (for the landscape/vertical shots) but only about 40° the other way. That may explain why the unintended rolling happens only when flying forward+left. Maybe in sport mode, with the more aggressive angle of the airframe, it's maxing out its ability to compensate?

I would be surprised if it doesn't occur with any other stick movements, from a steady hover just try a high speed yaw I suspect you'll see something similar, if maybe to a lesser degree

This is actually mentioned in the manual as normal behavior.
Specifically regarding sport mode or in general? It doesn't seem to show in videos I reviewed online and people claim to only be seeing this effect post the latest firmware update, is the manual reference perhaps in relation to the FPV mode?

According to the manual on 'Follow mode' which is the normal view - "The angle between the gimbals orientation and the aircraft nose remains constant at all times" - So it shouldn't be varying

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest