DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly over the Hollywood sign/Hollywood Hills?

mschwind200

Reactions
I'm currently on holiday in Beverly Hills and I was wondering if I could fly my Mavic over the sign or over the hills. I'd also like to know where the best places to legally fly are.

Thanks

I think there are signs by the Griffith observatory that's is a no drone zone. Not sure about closer to the Hollywood sign

There are signs now posted at Griffith Observatory but to second Asaulo1 I did not see any signs around the Hollywood Sign when there recently.
Just be careful with a lot of the Helicopter traffic in that area, 500 feet over the ground is sometimes barely 50 feet away from you when launching from a path.
Have fun and enjoy your time here in LA!

There are signs now posted at Griffith Observatory but to second Asaulo1 I did not see any signs around the Hollywood Sign when there recently.
Just be careful with a lot of the Helicopter traffic in that area, 500 feet over the ground is sometimes barely 50 feet away from you when launching from a path.
Have fun and enjoy your time here in LA!
Thanks. Do you know any legal and beautiful places to fly?

Thanks. Do you know any legal and beautiful places to fly?

The challenging thing with Los Angeles is the sheer number of Helipads around and the traffic associated with them.
However the beaches are good, obviously not around LAX. It all depends what you are trying to capture, beaches, mountains and nice scenery or gritty industrial urban areas. There is a lot to choose from.
I would say you can it go wrong with Malibu and the Santa Monica mountains, not too far from your 90210 Hotel.
Have fun! Post your footage here after! :)

Hollywood Sign is clear airspace and from what I know there are not any local restrictions. It is right on the edge of the Bob Hope (Burbank) Class C airspace. Griffith Park has banned drone flying.

Definitely need to be extremely careful in that area for low flying choppers. Be smart.

However the beaches are good

That's what I suspected too. So I drive on out to Mission Bay and right as I'm getting ready to unleash the Mavic a heli circles the coastline and couldn't have been higher than 100'—basically the very path I intended to take. The sun was setting and I didn't have time to hang around, so I packed it up.

Fast forward two days later and virtually same scenario plays out with two low-flying heli's at La Jolla just off the coastline right where I was gonna shoot aerials.

It's like they're right on que with my arrival. Yikes!

That's what I suspected too. So I drive on out to Mission Bay and right as I'm getting ready to unleash the Mavic a heli circles the coastline and couldn't have been higher than 100'—basically the very path I intended to take. The sun was setting and I didn't have time to hang around, so I packed it up.

Fast forward two days later and virtually same scenario plays out with two low-flying heli's at La Jolla just off the coastline right where I was gonna shoot aerials.

They must be out to sabotage your footage Mavtastic!

Yup, a lot of copters around the San Diego area, including military.

I live near Mission Bay, but thought it was a NFZ due to the proximity to the airport?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett