DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I not manually land?

Luisrsg

Reactions
I tried to manually land like I have hundreds of times with my p3p and the mavic wouldn't get closer than about a foot off the ground. I was expecting to see the "want to land?" message but nothing so I hit land on the app and it did but just wondering if we can't land this on on its own or without the app.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
I tried to manually land like I have hundreds of times with my p3p and the mavic wouldn't get closer than about a foot off the ground. I was expecting to see the "want to land?" message but nothing so I hit land on the app and it did but just wondering if we can't land this on on its own or without the app.

That's very odd if you can't. I wonder if switching it to sport mode would bypass auto-landing functions?

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that manually landing requires a more noticeable downward movement of the left stick -- that you kind of have to force it down.

If anyone else has one and can comment please update this statement...

Brian

Look at Page 14 of the manual (can't seem to copy and paste), regarding Landing Protection.

I do not see what you're pointing to on page 14. Just to be clear are you referring to "Mavic-Pro-User-Manual-2016-09"? I can't kind anything on "landing protection".

Brian

You have to hold the left stick down once it's close to the ground. If you are doing this and it's still not wanting to land, something is awry.

You have to hold the left stick down once it's close to the ground. If you are doing this and it's still not wanting to land, something is awry.

When you say down do you mean 100% down or something less?

Brian

That is different than my Inspire 1 Pro -- if you use full back on the stick you do a hard landing and that risks damaging the gimbal.

Brian

Well in the case of the p3p, you needn't worry as the legs protect the gimbal. You also don't do a hard landing from 20 feet up. You come down to the ground, almost touching it, and then hold the stick down. You wont have the distance to hit 3m/s which, again on a phantom doesn't matter because it can handle it.

The mavic is in the same boat as the gimbal isn't under it and is therefore not going to be harmed unless you're landing on a pile of rocks.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You can download the latest manual at: Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads.
Page 14 is the section on Landing Protection

I believe the Mavic will hover near the ground before landing if you have the downward facing sensors on.. Try turning off the sensors and see if you can do a full manual landing..

Yes you're right... you lower down and it stops at a foot off the ground... I got a message that said "landing"...

If you keep the left stick down, it will land momentarily... albeit not a direct result of your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes you're right... you lower down and it stops at a foot off the ground... I got a message that said "landing"...

If you keep the left stick down, it will land momentarily... albeit not a direct result of your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI guy on one of the videos explained that this is to ensure we don't rush to land to quickly - as the shorter legs means the camera gimbal is very close to the ground. In other words - they make you stop and think .. before finally landing to ensure a "softer" landing.
And yes, you hold the left stick all the way down when it is hesitating .. and it will land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato