DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone please explain this craziness???

hidaven

Reactions
I'm a pro photographer and I must say I'm perplexed. Take a look at these 2 images. I selective focused on the lower right. technically anything on that plane should be in focus, but its not. Cant say its a soft corner as if I focus ont he other left side, the right is thrown out of focus. Would you say this lens is decentered or is this just field curvature rearing its ugly head?

Attachments

• DJI_0042.JPG
    DJI_0042.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 909
  • DJI_0030.JPG
    DJI_0030.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 947
See the many other threads on focusing issues. The Mavic doesn't do good in low light (doesn't seem like your issue) but there is also an issue with the sensor on some Mavics and you may need to send it back for replacement. I had to send mine back and got a replacement that works much better.

Not low light IMO, a sensor issue would make it tough to get the bad side focused all the time. This is an issue where you can select focus on all areas of the image with sharp results, only the other side will be out of focus. My gut is that is bad field curvature or wavy F.C. its an f2.2 lens so unless someone can point something else out......I'll take your advice and send it back.

Reactions: mangospoops
Not low light IMO, a sensor issue would make it tough to get the bad side focused all the time. This is an issue where you can select focus on all areas of the image with sharp results, only the other side will be out of focus. My gut is that is bad field curvature or wavy F.C. its an f2.2 lens so unless someone can point something else out......I'll take your advice and send it back.
Yeah, my issue was that no matter what I did the right side and especially the bottom right corner were way out of focus, even when I tapped to focus on the lower right corner.

I'm a pro photographer and I must say I'm perplexed.

Many Mavics have had reports of misaligned sensor/lens assemblies, usually affecting the lower right corner. If it's important to you, get the device exchanged, similar to buying duplicate lenses to find a "good copy." That said, this is no Nikkor or Canon L we are talking about, and your two samples shown here have no obvious flaw in the lower right corner focus as far as I can see. I would recommend you stop "pixel peeping" and start flying!

No, I focused on the right hand corner and it IS in focus.....the left side is out of focus. Look at the one pic the tree far back on the right is also in focus somehow where the left is soft. Now if I put the focus point on the left top or bottom, it will come in focus and the right side will be softer.....

That tree on the upper right corner is in focus while the left side is softer and those trees on the left are closer to the focus point which was the lower right in both shots.

Also look at the second shot. The bottom and the right are in focus and the upper left is out of focus. This isn't a result of SOFT corners.
I can get either side to focus but at the expense of the other side getting blurred to a point. Also odd is that hd4k is perfectly sharp across the frame as far as I can see. Its mainly the stills.

Seriously, if your monitors aren't showing the left side in both pics, mainly the top left corner out of focus, you need new monitors.

look at the cars in the top left, they are out of focus compared to the lower right in both shots.

Actually, most of the top is out of focus where its looking straight down......the entire bottom is in focus

I have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I have to deal with it after my vacation. Hopefully a bit of cropping will have to do until I send it back.

Reactions: hidaven
2caff1a26b6b094ea0c1e71fec02fd3a.jpg

On closer examination I do agree. Both sets of trees circled appear to be similar distance from the camera. Therefore, they both should be in focus or equally out of focus. The red circled trees are reasonably well focused. The blue circled trees are not. I see your problem.

Check those two areas in his original photo to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Is there a way to see what the exposure was for each? Because if the lens was pretty wide open... then there might be a depth of field difference? Just a thought ... I know it's a 28mm lens equiv but 2.2 has little dof ... it's a balance...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I wonder... how well are the sides of the photo focused when manual focus is on the center of the photo.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app
Focus is not in a specific part of the lens, focus is a matter of distance. As others have said if you have objects that are the same distance from the camera then if you focus on one of those objects then the other object should be in focus as well, regardless of if it is in another part of the frame. When you focus the camera is not concentrating on a particular spot in the frame but instead is just setting the distance where objects should be clear and sharp.

Reactions: hidaven
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya