DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the Mavic Pro be set to focus like the P3P does?

waters212

Reactions
Title says it. Can the MP be set to focus as the P3P does during video recording, without any input from me during flight? Thanks!

The P3P does not have any focus capability, it's fixed focus, but unless you're close up <10 metres with the Mavic, then just set to infinity when you set off.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. So, if I flying about ten feet from a deck, videoing the people on the deck, and then I back out, and up, I have to adjust the focus by tapping while also operating both sticks? Do I understand that correctly? Also, if I do this, isn't there going to be a noticeable refocusing in the recorded video while I back away and tap the screen. Thanks again.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. So, if I flying about ten feet from a deck, videoing the people on the deck, and then I back out, and up, I have to adjust the focus by tapping while also operating both sticks? Do I understand that correctly? Also, if I do this, isn't there going to be a noticeable refocusing in the recorded video while I back away and tap the screen. Thanks again.
I'd suggest setting it to focus at about 5-8 metres in that case, there's a big depth of field so it should go out towards infinity quite focused, as well as close up. Maybe try a few dry runs, so to speak, to find the sweet spot..

You should set either C1 or C2 buttons to Auto-Center Focus. It's not the smoothest option but it will certainly allow you to start closer and back out during a shot without having to relinquish control of a stick to tap the screen. If you are looking for smooth, then I suggest what Alex suggested.

Personally I'm still waiting for a firmware update where the right wheel can be used to adjust focus and not just exposure.

Reactions: WheelzWorld
Focusing in the middle of a shot with this camera is pretty much impossible, because it will search for the focus before settling in and you will see a noticeable "breathing" effect while it's attempting to find a sharp focus. If you're wanting to start close up on a subject and then back out you pretty much have to find the hyperfocal distance and work within that range.

I've read on another thread that hyperfocal distance for the Mavic is about 13m or 43ft. I've tried hovering at this height, pointing the gimbal down and manually focusing. It works well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu