DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you edit 4K@30fps smoothly?

I'm just getting started with drones and 4k video. I'm using DaVinci Resolve Free for editing and color grading. Professional level full-featured software that supports 4K and is totally free, but a huge learning curve.

Hey, I just made a drone cinematic movement tutorial video with 58 different clips, text for every second for almost 11 minutes over 4 different songs in 4k30. I do get some issues on playback, running an i7-6700k plus GTX 1080 slightly OC'd with decent fans and a 1440p monitor. If I played back everything, it would be fine at the start then start cutting clips short and just skip to the next one. But if I pause it and then resume playback, it's fine again for a bit then starts cutting shortly after.

What I found helpful was to mute text and/or sound when they are not needed to do playback. I can send you a link of the video, although not really helpful in this discussion haha. Or just search "aerial film and photo 55 drone moves" on Youtube and it should be the first link.

They talk about proxies, which I guess works too. But I never found the need for it yet, and would like to see the quality of my edit and coloring as is.

I want to thank you guys for the help. I got this problem solved using the Proxy method.

All I can say is "Wow". All problems solved when I made proxy files of my 4K@30fps footage into 1080P. I hesitated because I figured it might have a steep learning curve like most Adobe features but it was actually very easy. I also love the fact that you can just click a button and switch back and forth between the 4K and 1080P version even when it's playing!

Pillowmage I was in the same boat as you. Once I started to make numerous cuts and splices and added transitions and music the video became so choppy that it was getting really hard to work with. The only quick relieve that I found was pausing the playback every time it jumped to a new splice point and then pressing play again. It's like it looses sync when switching between clips.

The real solution is going the proxy method. It no longer matters how much resolution or Mbs your dealing with, the proxy removes that from the equation.

Thanks again guys
Rob

Reactions: Red_Raven

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake