DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you take your mavic pro in hand luggage

bertie

Reactions
Just about to go on holiday and just seeing if anyone has traveled with there mavic before.thanks

Yes, you can pack your Mavic in your hand luggage.. And if you have extra batteries, those must go in your hand luggage.

Reactions: Myha and kellyds
You'll want to get a flame-retardant lipo bag for each of your spare batteries, too. They're inexpensive and available on Amazon and elsewhere.

But yes! I took my Mavic Pro to Hawaii in January and we had a great time. Mavic in carry-on baggage, with batteries in lipo bags, also in carry-on.

Reactions: kellyds
Yes.
I took it from the US to Brazil in March with no issues or questions asked.
All I did was discharge the batteries to 20% and REMOVE the propellers.

Thanks

Buddy of mine just "carried on" full FLY MORE-- with no Lipo bags to Cost Rica... he knows better now to have batteries contained correctly. Nevertheless, he was never confronted with the exception of customs of course which green lighted him without issue.

Flew on a flew commercial flights last week, both domestic and international. I packed my Mavic and my three batteries in the carry case I had and carried it on board. I placed it on the belt as I went through TSA with no issues whatsoever. No one asked about my battery strength so I would worry about it. I had no issues with customs going into Iceland nor back in the U.S.

Anyone done this to/from the UK?

I'm hoping to take mine to Crete in July

I had a trips to US, France, and twice to Italy from Russia without any problem with Mavic in my hand luggage.

We want to go to Crimea with our Mavic. Are there any issues with travelling through Moscow and Simferopol airports with a Mavic in the carry on baggage?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

For UK travellers, I have had this response from Jet2.com.

The Jet2 Customer Services Staff said:
Good afternoon Buster,

Thank you for your email.

I understand you are wanting to take a drone on board your upcoming with ourselves. In regards to this we do accept them however they have to be of a certain WH. I will leave below what we can and can not take on board.

- Less than 100WH can be carried without any approval.

- 100WH-160WH Prior approval is required first.

- Greater than 160WH then it is not permitted.

If it is between the 100-160 to get approval please call our Pre Travel Services team on 0333 300 0737 Monday-Friday 8am-9pm Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm and they can discuss this there.

If you require any furthermore information then please do not hesitate to get back in contact.

Thank you for contacting Jet2,com, we look forward to welcome you on board your upcoming flight to Crete!

Kind Regards,

Alana Macdonald

....And as the MP Batteries are rated at 43WH... Happy days!

My wife and I just returned from Fiji a week ago. Neither airlines (American/Qantas) ask us to store batteries in lipo safe bags. They did require that batteries be discharged to less than 50% and stored in separate plastic bags in carry-on. Also, if flying to Fiji or some other areas you need to get permission to bring in drones. We had to write to the CAAF (Civil Aeronautical Authority of FIji) and fill out a request listing the make and model of drone, where we intended to fly, and sign off that we would not be selling pictures or video for profit. Everything was taken care of through email and within 3 days at no charge. Once in Fiji nobody seemed to care where we flew, when or how much. I have read some horror stories from travelers who neglected to check first and had to store their drones at customs while in the country and then pay rather high fees to pick them up on departure. Be safe - check first. I just Googled it and went from there.

Update on my post above:
I took my Mavic Pro to Crimea on Aeroflot Russian Airlines from London Heathrow via Moscow and finally to Simferopol in Crimea. Absolutely no problems or questions about it.
I took three batteries in total each with a 50% charge.

I had this response from JET2 today

View media item 2059
They are definitely 'questionable' when Sara is contradicting her own airline's requirements.

https://www.jet2.com/.../Dangerous-goods-prohibitied-items-in-baggage.pdf

As far as I am aware - Lithium-Ion batteries (of the permitted total power capacity and subject to terminals being protected etc) must be hand carried so that they can be accessed quickly if there is a problem. Check out ICAO regulations.

Reactions: Thwyllo
They are definitely 'questionable' when Sara is contradicting her own airline's requirements.

https://www.jet2.com/.../Dangerous-goods-prohibitied-items-in-baggage.pdf

As far as I am aware - Lithium-Ion batteries (of the permitted total power capacity and subject to terminals being protected etc) must be hand carried so that they can be accessed quickly if there is a problem. Check out ICAO regulations.

i wonder if she means the actual drone (less the batteries) needs to be checked into baggage? Maybe they are worried that if you have access to both the drone and the batteries in the cabin, you could start it up? Anyway, their guidance is just not very clear, and like you say, contradicts what every other airline says

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405