DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada Drone News

Another thread about this already started here: Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones

The rules themselves aren't anything new. Basically the same as it's always been:

Previous:
- 5 Nautical Miles from airport (= just over 9km)
- 150m from buildings, people, vehicles, and roads
- No night flying
- under 90m altitude (roughly 300 feet)
- VLOS at all times

"New":
- 9km from airport
- 75m from buildins, people, vehicles, and roads
- No night flying
- under 90m altitude
- VLOS at all times

Only real change is that before it was an advisory, for safety, if you broke it there were no direct consequences. That said if you were harassing people, or flying unsafely the police could still charge you.

Now there is a direct $2000 (I believe) fine attached to violating these rules.

The main thing that has me frustrated is the political grand-standing around it.

There are new rules (including licensing and registration) coming this summer, which at this point appear pretty positive. But because of the need to announce this as an "emergency" it draws a lot of attention to something the public is already over-reacting to. And makes it sound like "Drones crash planes!", so the chances of someone raising a stink (and now the police having a direct fine, and likely a directive to "make some examples") means many more legit recreational fliers, and hobbyists will likely get severe penalties. And it likely does nothing to curb the actual abuse of this technology that happens. (those that already break the rules and fly recklessly near airports, etc, will likely not stop because of this new announcement).

Reactions: RidgeLink
I wish you and Johana had read the TC site:

Visual Line-of-Sight

7 (1) A person operating a model aircraft must ensure that it is operated within VLOS at all times during the flight.

(2) No person shall operate a model aircraft when the aircraft is at a lateral distance of more than 1640 feet (500 m) from the person’s location.

Outrageous influence from the asswipes at the Canadian modeling association - they have EXCLUSIONS built in.
Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada

I wish you and Johana had read the TC site:

Visual Line-of-Sight

7 (1) A person operating a model aircraft must ensure that it is operated within VLOS at all times during the flight.

(2) No person shall operate a model aircraft when the aircraft is at a lateral distance of more than 1640 feet (500 m) from the person’s location.

Outrageous influence from the asswipes at the Canadian modeling association - they have EXCLUSIONS built in.
Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada

Sorry was this in reference to my post? At the time I made it the link to the Interim Order wasn't known. There are now 3 threads on this, and at the time I posted I only had access to the article about it with vague points.

I actually checked the TC site this morning right around posting this and their updates hadn't gone live yet (it still had the old info).

I refreshed more recently and then the actual Interim announcement is live.

With that yes there are real specifics. My point though that the main individual "rules" stay the same is valid.

The key points are:
- weight exclusion dropped to 250g from 2KG
- rules now hard-enforced with fine
- slight changes to distance limits
- Addition of specific limit for distance from operator of 500m

And yes, the specific exclusions in the document from MAAC are a bit rediculous... Like somehow flying at their fields satisfies the "hobbyist" approach, not acknowleding that most of the use-cases for flying a recreational drone have nothing to do with the use-cases for flying a model aircraft (can I film my family gathering? or vacation? or boating trip? or just make an amateur video of some nice scenic out-door geography while flying strictly at their fields? No...)

This announcement is frustrating. Hopefully the new legislation have more realistic exclusions/exceptions and conditions in it, and comes fast...

For me it's the distance away that sucks ... I typically don't fly higher than 90 m but usually over 500m away ... oh well

Oh I agree, the distance is one of the cool features. But that said, thinking about the existing (previous) legislature, you still had to stay within un-assisted VLOS, unless you had an SFOC and specific exemption.

I've got really good vision, and a mavic at over 500m I'd probably have a hard time justifying that I had a clear VLOS fix on it, and clear situational awareness... So this additional clause just clarifies the existing VLOS requirement in my view.

Same thing applies, if you're out away from anyone else, nobody sees you launch/land, and you're not bothering anyone, violating privacy, or airspace, etc... It's up to you if you want to fly farther than 500m out, and "break the rules". In the end how would anyone ever hope to enforce it in that circumstance (without somehow following the drone back to you or something).

(I'm in no way condoning breaking the law, simply saying under the right circumstances, common sense still applies). The main impact of this is the additional attention it will potentially draw when trying to fly where there are spectators around. So the requirement to head out in the middle of nowhere is much more important now. (to avoid risk of someone calling the cops on you and resulting now in a fine)

Another requirement (effective immediately) is to have the owner's name, address and telephone number attached to the drone. Personally I much prefer what is done in the US in that regard, namely compulsory registration with the FAA. The authorities (only) can track you down from that.

Reactions: Atomicbear
Another requirement (effective immediately) is to have the owner's name, address and telephone number attached to the drone. Personally I much prefer what is done in the US in that regard, namely compulsory registration with the FAA. The authorities (only) can track you down from that.

Yeah, I agree, but as a temporary measure, it's not a bad idea to include name/number or whatever on a sticker. Probably wise anyway.

That said the coming legislation later this summer will implement registration with TC, and affixing numbering/markings on every drone, which can be traced back to the owner. (at least that's what's proposed). In addition to a basic "pilot certificate" like a license, with different levels depending on size of drone and activities. The simplest of which for small drones (like the mavic) and flight in VLOS with standard restrictions (rural areas, etc) would have minimal skills test to verify you know basic airspace rules, safety stuff, etc. The more complex of which (larger drones, in urban areas, within Aerodromes, etc) would require more like a full pilot license.

At least that's my interpretation of the proposed changes at TC currently (supposedly to be implemented as law in June/July)

So these temporary measures should only apply up until that point. (hopefully)

NEW DRONE LAWS IN CANADA TODAY. :eek::mad:

Bullet points:

Recreational drone users in Canada face new restrictions on where and when they can fly their remote-controlled devices, under new rules being announced today by Transportation Minister Marc Garneau.

The rules, which are effective immediately, mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones weighing more than 250 grams are caught flying:

• Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.
  • More than 500 metres away from the user.
  • At night, in clouds or somewhere you can't see it.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.
  • Without your name, address and phone number marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.
Full article:

New rules for recreational drones in Canada set out where, when they can fly

Official Transport Canada Drone Rules page:

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Getting tougher to find spots near home to fly. :rolleyes:

I agree.

I challenge anyone to find a space within Canada that is 75m away from an animal, person, car, or building.

Challenge Accepted!
Somewhere around here: Google Maps

If you encounter polar bear, move in any direction at least 75m ;)

lol...

Yes, point well taken :)

Sorry was this in reference to my post? At the time I made it the link to the Interim Order wasn't known. There are now 3 threads on this, and at the time I posted I only had access to the article about it with vague points.

I actually checked the TC site this morning right around posting this and their updates hadn't gone live yet (it still had the old info).

I refreshed more recently and then the actual Interim announcement is live.

With that yes there are real specifics. My point though that the main individual "rules" stay the same is valid.

The key points are:
- weight exclusion dropped to 250g from 2KG
- rules now hard-enforced with fine
- slight changes to distance limits
- Addition of specific limit for distance from operator of 500m

And yes, the specific exclusions in the document from MAAC are a bit rediculous... Like somehow flying at their fields satisfies the "hobbyist" approach, not acknowleding that most of the use-cases for flying a recreational drone have nothing to do with the use-cases for flying a model aircraft (can I film my family gathering? or vacation? or boating trip? or just make an amateur video of some nice scenic out-door geography while flying strictly at their fields? No...)

This announcement is frustrating. Hopefully the new legislation have more realistic exclusions/exceptions and conditions in it, and comes fast...

Sorry to jump on you then. I'm really more angry at the idiots at TC and MAAC.

Sorry to jump on you then. I'm really more angry at the idiots at TC and MAAC.

No worries :)

I agree with you on that one. Frustrating as hell.

Another fear I have is the 3000 fine ... the minister said that it gives officers the ability to educate pilots to handing out fines .... too
Much discretion in the hands of some unworthy cops .... flying near airports isn't the same as flying near a building ... IMO

Challenge Accepted!
Somewhere around here: Google Maps

If you encounter polar bear, move in any direction at least 75m ;)

lol...

Yes, point well taken :)

Actually, as someone who works in the arctic for a living, there are birds of various sizes all over the place. And foxes, hares and lemmings. Don't even get me started on the mosquitos. ;)

Actually, as someone who works in the arctic for a living, there are birds of various sizes all over the place. And foxes, hares and lemmings. Don't even get me started on the mosquitos. ;)
Lol, Oh No! Must preserve the mosquitos!

Reactions: Cookedinlh
For me it's the distance away that sucks ... I typically don't fly higher than 90 m but usually over 500m away ... oh well
Why would that bother you?
I never fly bvlos anyway. Too risky and reckless as you don't know what's out there.
I'm glad of these rules. As I mentioned previously, it's to weed out the Yahoo!'s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007