DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian drone law

niclariv

Reactions
Let me start this post by saying that I have absolutely no intention of breaking any UAV laws, and please let's not let this thread turn in to (yet another) thread about what people should and shouldn't be doing with their drones.

I just find it a little funny that on Transport Canada's website, on the PDF with the rules of droning, it says 'Transport Canada recommends you follow the following Do's and Don'ts.'

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/dos-and-donts-flying-drone-safely-legally.pdf

That wording really makes me think that these aren't actually laws, but instead are suggestions. If that's the case, of course they won't point that out, and they'll hope the reader interprets them as laws.

Anyone familiar with Canadian drone law able to clarify? I'd think that they wouldn't use the word 'recommends' if it were law.

Agreed that the wording lacks teeth.
That said, draft wording of new legislation is public. The new proposed law is to be tabled in 2017.

Reactions: niclariv
That really is vague, if they are indeed not actual laws some should be put in place.
Their recommendations do seem reasonable though.

To my understanding, as long as you are not flying it for a commercial use (and under 35kg), stay away from airports and out of any flight paths and lastly, fly only LOS you should be flying it "legally"
You're also suppose to have a spotter in case there is something that may or may not hit your drone that you should avoid....

Otherwise just use common sense and you "Should" be fine :)

So that means their recommendation not to fly over buildings/people etc is really only a recommendation, and you actually can fly over a residential area or city?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So that means their recommendation not to fly over buildings/people etc is really only a recommendation, and you actually can fly over a residential area or city?

its a recommendation other then the no flying near airports, and must be LOS. everything else it is a recommendation which is sort of common sense anyways... some of the recommendation like flying it near people or building recommendation should be taken as that is just common sense. (unless you have their permission)

Don't ruin it for others. Is what I always tell people.

Cool, thanks. Now do those laws have more teeth if you film something for commercial use? (Which I guess is defined as anything that's not just for fun)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Cool, thanks. Now do those laws have more teeth if you film something for commercial use? (Which I guess is defined as anything that's not just for fun)

I remember reading a CBC article thst some guy got charged $1000 for filming a commercial with his quad. Was prob year and half ago I think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Right, so maybe the state of the law right now is it has teeth if you're a business, but not so much if you're not

Reactions: Jayfly
Unfortunately there are lots of areas that have in-print laws forbidding use, but they are extremely difficult to find out about.
For instance, City of Calgary - can't fly in/over parks and roads
Alberta Parks - no take offs/landings in any of them.

Good luck finding the documentation online, but you'll still get ticketed. It's a real drag.

As with many things, fly with care are you're unlikely to run into trouble with MOST people, but there are more bylaws than we realize.

Reactions: niclariv
Brand new to this forum...but like what I see so far! Looks like a great community, keep up the great work.

I have a contact at a Canadian UAS Flight School, who has been involved with TC in drafting new rules & regulations for 2017.

I posed this question - "A number of documents I’ve read from Transport Canada, keep referring to conditions that are valid until December 21, 2016. I would interpret this to mean there are/could be changes after that date. Do you know if any new regulations are coming for UAV’s under the 2KG threshold?"

This is the response - "I have an idea, yes. I've seen a draft of the new exemptions about a month ago. The changes are both good and bad. Very small devices around 1KG will have the distance from buildings reduced to about 3 miles from built up areas and airports. Larger devices will have more restrictions. I'm expecting a copy of a presentation from Transport Canada soon to get more specifics".

My .02 of a loonie - insurance for all (hobbyist & commercial) will increase from the current $100K (that would hardly get your lawyer out of bed if you have a serious incident...not to mention you could be paying the rest out of your pocket), to probably around one million dollars. Also, a written test, similar to Part 107 for commercial operators will be required.

Stay tuned, stay informed and fly safe!

Reactions: Skyler
Some more news - Transport Canada Advisory Circular, Guidance Material for Operating Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems under an Exemption. Document No: AC 600-004, Effective Date: 2016-12-22

Transport Canada just released some of the new rules changes a few days ago and the most significant changes will be for Recreational user where they will need to take a knowledge base exam, secure liability and register their drones. Recreational users will still be limited to flying to below 300ft, to be at least 5 Nautical Miles from any Aerodrome, away from build-up areas, etc.

Here is their definition of - Built-up area – "means areas with groups of buildings or dwellings including anything from small hamlets to major cities. Anything larger than a farmstead is considered a built-up area".

The rules for commercial user with SFOC’s have not changed much other than needing a COM operations manual in place for sometime next year. Lastly, those who have been flying under exemptions are going to be tasked with going with SFOC’s depending on geographical location.

Essentially can't fly anywhere lol There is farmers fields behind my house and was going to ask permission to fly there when my Mavic came in, now can't do that

They knew I was Emigrating next year!!! But I don't mind paying to be responsible... Compared to UK where people are very AGGRESSIVE towards you in public, deciding instantly you are a pervert!! At least in Canada the open space means I can avoid contact while trying to get shots.

Here is the advisory. Unless I'm reading it wrong, looks like it might not be so controlled for the Mavic seeing as it weighs less than 1KG (735g), so it would fall under Appendix A

Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-004 - Transport Canada

I initially read this "to be at least 5 Nautical Miles from any Aerodrome, away from build-up areas, etc." as also has to be 5 Nautical Miles from Aerodrome AND built up areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: maikm
Good news for Mavic Pilots . . . A new class of exemptions for <1kg machines. 1-25kg gets a different set
Canada is proposing new exemptions for non-commercial use under 1kg . . bad news is they are still things like
1. VLOS. and 100ft away from anybody or any building or vessel
2. max 1/4mile distance from the operator. (1320ft)
3. 2 mile visibility or greater
4. $100,000 insurance
5. carry all your documentation with you and the exemption in case you are asked for it
6. not over any "built up area" . . definition of any "built up area" . . ie."anything larger than a farmstead"
PLUS: you must notify Transport Canada in writing prior to operations

Not much of an improvement. Not much will change I suspect until they are convinced that Geo-Fencing and collision avoidance are accurate reliable . . which will be some time after they approve autonomous cars on the streets and become convinced driver-less cars are safer than drivers

Reactions: Jayfly
Do you have a link to the new rules and you no longer need to be licensed or have it registered?

You have to notify Transportation Canada each and every time you intend to fly?

Anyone found a good place to buy insurance at a reasonable price in Canada?

I shopped a fair bit last april 2016 and found the best option is The Magnes Group Insurance . . . you are supposed to get a special group rate if you are a COPA member . . . but I always was a COPA member. It was better than other insurers but not sure what they charge if you are not. (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association). It's a national organization and now reaching out to include UAV owners and pilots. Advocating FOR UAV pilots is new for them but they are pushing back on overly strict regulations and advocating for more rational approach to flight safety and reasonable freedom for their use both privately and commercially. Annual membership is $60Cdn.

If you join, you get their monthly Magazine and can keep up on stuff like regs and laws as well as. You get a physical copy and a digital copy is available on-line.
Full disclosure I help run the Sarnia Chapter "Flight 7". We have monthly meetings and other fly-in events as well as workshops and dinners all year. I work with some guys in Ottawa who are just now rolling out a UAV outreach program for 2017. You learn a lot about aviation by just hanging around or flying with other pilots. . . COPA had a booth at the International UAV Conference in Toronto last month and this year there are going to be more UAV/Drone events with COPA participation. Not just for guys either, women encouraged too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird