DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian drone law

For what it's worth, as a recreational flyer, you can join MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada) for $80/year and get covered by their insurance. The COPA insurance that cookedinlh mentions further up is this thread appears to be for commercial flyers. On that note, COPA does have a good resource for recreational flyers here: http://www.copanational.org/files/UAV_Recreational.pdf (which cookedinlh probably had some involvement in writing).

As to the question of provincial parks, that's a great question. Couple of quick google searches didn't show anything substantive. There is this page that looks into the laws to some degree, but in short it seems that it's not very clear or definitive.

You're saying that for only $80 a year you get their insurance? Or once you're a member you can buy in to their insurance? Does that work for hobbyists only or can it be used if I want to apply for an exemption for something commercial. (Most of what I want to do is hobby with the occasional commercial shot).

iPhone 6S

Is there any legal way for a hobbyist to fly at night/twilight in Canada? I've seen some stuff about being able to fly at twilight in the US with the right lighting, and night with an exemption... but I can't find anything about Canada. I've seen some aerial photography companies here say on their website that they can fly at night, so there must be an exemption for it, but is that only available to commercial flyers? It would be fun to try out the long shutter speeds as a hobbyist.

iPhone 6S

Is there any legal way for a hobbyist to fly at night/twilight in Canada? I've seen some stuff about being able to fly at twilight in the US with the right lighting, and night with an exemption... but I can't find anything about Canada. I've seen some aerial photography companies here say on their website that they can fly at night, so there must be an exemption for it, but is that only available to commercial flyers? It would be fun to try out the long shutter speeds as a hobbyist.

iPhone 6S

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer, nor an expert on Canadian Law. I have done much research as a hobbyist, recreational flyer and based on my findings...

There is no "law" that says you can't. However, there are these "guidelines" published by Transport Canada for recreational flight of : Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

It "suggests" to fly only during the day and in good weather. There is no law currently that prohibits it, but use your good judgment for safety.

Happy flying!
--Atomicbear

Last edited:
Reactions: niclariv
You're saying that for only $80 a year you get their insurance? Or once you're a member you can buy in to their insurance? Does that work for hobbyists only or can it be used if I want to apply for an exemption for something commercial. (Most of what I want to do is hobby with the occasional commercial shot).
iPhone 6S

On this page: Insurance Advisory Group | Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
there is a Word document that you can download called "MPPD 04 - MAAC Insurance Coverage Summarized". From that document:

4.1 The MAAC Insurance Policy protects MAAC, its members, and affiliated clubs against Personal Injury and Property Damage claims from third parties resulting from the operations of MAAC, its members and affiliated clubs.

So, by my understanding, the $80 membership fee includes this insurance.

It also says:
4.2 The MAAC Insurance Policy covers all recreational model flying activities at flying sites of any clubs registered with MAAC and at other locations in Canada where permission has been granted by the property owner or controlling authority.

So recreational flying is specifically called out; I would not expect them to cover you for any commercial flight.

I would suggest you read the whole document, though. You need to, for example, adhere to the MAAC safety codes.

Reactions: niclariv
Here are the sections in the Canadian Aviation Regulations that the EXEMPTION above refers to:

Atomicbear, please correct me if I'm wrong, but recreational "pilots" are not flying under the SFOC exemptions, because we are not flying "UAVs" (as defined by Transport Canada). Rather, as recreational users, we are flying "Model Aircraft" - which means the whole SFOC Exemption list is not applicable/relevant. Mind you, I just assumed that nicraliv is flying recreationally...

For recreational pilots, as mentioned, the Transport Canada recommendation is to fly during the day. The MAAC, however, does specifically have an R/C Night Flying safety guideline document.

I am waiting to see if insurance companies come out with insurance like in the US covering liability and accident/damage in one policy. Some are reporting between $40 and $60 per year. Crash your drone and they pay out, no deductable.

Atomicbear, please correct me if I'm wrong, but recreational "pilots" are not flying under the SFOC exemptions, because we are not flying "UAVs" (as defined by Transport Canada). Rather, as recreational users, we are flying "Model Aircraft" - which means the whole SFOC Exemption list is not applicable/relevant. Mind you, I just assumed that nicraliv is flying recreationally...

For recreational pilots, as mentioned, the Transport Canada recommendation is to fly during the day. The MAAC, however, does specifically have an R/C Night Flying safety guideline document.

I stand corrected. You are correct that the Mavic Pro falls under "model aircraft" rules - but ONLY when flying recreationally. I have edited my post to remove the UAV rules exemption part.

Thanks,
--Atomicbear

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer, nor an expert on Canadian Law. I have done much research as a hobbyist, recreational flyer and based on my findings...

There is no "law" that says you can't. However, there are these "guidelines" published by Transport Canada for recreational flight of : Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

It "suggests" to fly only during the day and in good weather. There is no law currently that prohibits it, but use your good judgment for safety.

Happy flying!
--Atomicbear

Oh yeah! Awesome!

iPhone 6S

I recall reading an article about an Asian tourist flying his drone in a Bay of Fundy Park and first being told he couldn't and then getting caught at it again later the same day. I don't recall the exact outcome but that was the end of the drone flying there for that chap.

I recall reading an article about an Asian tourist flying his drone in a Bay of Fundy Park and first being told he couldn't and then getting caught at it again later the same day. I don't recall the exact outcome but that was the end of the drone flying there for that chap.
Well that is a National Park; which is specifically outlawed unless you get superintendent permission (no drone zone). Somewhere deep in the regulations I read parks in general are no good to fly in either....

Hello

I've been tracking this post and reading in some of the links are here but still I'm not very clear, hope you can help me

I live in Alberta, and only want to use my drone for personal purpose , no work or research..

-Do I need to have insurance ?
- do I need to apply for the exemptions to fly ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Alberta parks = no take off/landing, just like National Parks. Try and find it on the web - almost impossible. However I have been assured by them that it does exist in writing, somewhere.

Reactions: migbur
Also I was reading that some provincial parks will have their own laws about flying drones, for example I live in canmore and they are not very Clear yet whether you can fly or not...

Not much use to you in Alberta, but for what it's worth, I posted another thread about the e-mail reply I got from Ontario Parks.

Reactions: migbur
Alberta parks = no take off/landing, just like National Parks. Try and find it on the web - almost impossible. However I have been assured by them that it does exist in writing, somewhere.

I know :( still will fly as long as the laws are not clear or I get a fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

We were just having this discussion in another forum and the other night I came across this article No Drone Zone Clarification from Transport Canada which basically says common sense applies for Rec UAV ops wrt designated airspace (Rec drones being classed as model aircraft in CAR 602.45 This regulation states “No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety”. The guidelines were provided to help those that are less familiar with aviation with how to operate their aircraft in a safe manner. This will keep these aircraft out of most control zones and away from concentrations of manned aircraft. As stated, the 9km (5nm) direction is only guidelines and not a regulations.) Another useful link I found for a graphical rep of designated airspace is here and lastly the Nav Canada Handbook for those nights of insomnia or just for general interest here

Reactions: frenchcharlie
StGr,

In Canada it is 300 feet. 3nm from built up areas (cities and towns). 30m away from any buildings or where people congregate. 5nm from registered airports or registered water aerodromes, 3nm from heliports or non-registered aerodromes.

These are just snipits from an email I got reference a question I had. Also keep in mind the discussions above about insurance, ect do not apply to recreational users. In our case our "drones" are classified as model aircraft and not UAVs.
For the record 300 feet is 90m (it's Canada, go with the metric system!!) [emoji28]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Just got off the phone with an insurance rep from Magnus . . a long time aviation insurance company . . the drone insurance industry she said "is in great flux" . . and this year even more so as the numbers of insured increase. She said underwriter offers are changing and expanding every week . . My best advice right now is to call lots of them and really shop around . . .prices are coming down, offers are more varied and more underwriters are coming into the market as the various companies combine their risks and sort themselves out.

Mine is due in April and I'm after at least 4-5 offers this year before I choose

Just got off the phone with an insurance rep from Magnus . . a long time aviation insurance company . . the drone insurance industry she said "is in great flux" . . and this year even more so as the numbers of insured increase. She said underwriter offers are changing and expanding every week . . My best advice right now is to call lots of them and really shop around . . .prices are coming down, offers are more varied and more underwriters are coming into the market as the various companies combine their risks and sort themselves out.

Mine is due in April and I'm after at least 4-5 offers this year before I choose

Thanks, fly to Canada Wednesday Inspire already shipped with other smaller Quad. Any guide to pricing?

... moron flyers need not complain! [emoji35]

Hello all
I live in Michigan but have a cabin on michipocoten island. Which is a provincial park in northern lake superior in Ontario. I have been flying a phantom 2 purely for recreation
I have bought the mavic and planned on taking it there. I'm kind of confused on weather I need a permit if it's for a hobby. Island is very remote and almost unpopulated. Do I need a permit because I'm from the USA? Or maybe because it's a Provincial park

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore