DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadians: when ordering from DJI, were you charged sales taxes?

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Starting to see some pretty good deals for P4P's out there and I'm wondering if it's worth ordering from DJI.

To whit, when ordering from DJI did you end up paying sales taxes? Or did Revenue Canada come and bite you after the fact?

That's what I want to hear. About to tee up a P4P and hope Can^RA don't peek at the invoice. I can get a "cheaper" deal here, but GST/QST pile on to near 15%. Thanks.
You will still have to pay the HST at Customs or when it's delivered. No escaping that evil!

That's what I want to hear. About to tee up a P4P and hope Can^RA don't peek at the invoice. I can get a "cheaper" deal here, but GST/QST pile on to near 15%. Thanks.

That's what the deal was with the Mavic. I'm not sure whether it was unique to it or not. You might want to check with the chat line to verify.

I didn't pay a cent extra. just what DJI charged me, and they say not to pay either, call them before accepting package if asked to pay!

I didn't pay a cent extra. just what DJI charged me, and they say not to pay either, call them before accepting package if asked to pay!

That's interesting. Thanks. I'd like to order from a Canadian supplier but he won't budge on list price and he has to charge taxes of course. I save nearly CAD$600 going via DJI. Suck. But it is $600.

I just ordered a mavic+care refresh from DJI directly as well, and from all the research I've done, you don't get dinged Duty or Tax (not even HST at the border). Those who've done it before, it arrives from DHL with a shipping waybill that explicitly states "Taxes pre-paid by shipper".

So hoping that's how it pans out. If it in-fact works that way, then direct from DJI cost me $1450 roughly (what came off my creditcard) including DJI Care Refresh, shipping, and all tax.

Buying from Amazon, or local dealer would have cost me $1350 for the mavic, + Tax of approx $175 for a total of $1425, but without DJI Care Refresh. (would still need to buy that from DJI directly at a cost of $99 USD, so after exchange, let's call that $135. So that puts me at a total of $1560 CAD if bought locally, vs $1425 bought direct, so total savings of $110

Add to that the few bucks in loyalty $ you get from DJI, and it's a fairly significant savings.

If ordering more stuff over time, or larger orders you potentially save even more.

I just ordered a mavic+care refresh from DJI directly as well, and from all the research I've done, you don't get dinged Duty or Tax (not even HST at the border). Those who've done it before, it arrives from DHL with a shipping waybill that explicitly states "Taxes pre-paid by shipper".

So hoping that's how it pans out. If it in-fact works that way, then direct from DJI cost me $1450 roughly (what came off my creditcard) including DJI Care Refresh, shipping, and all tax.

Buying from Amazon, or local dealer would have cost me $1350 for the mavic, + Tax of approx $175 for a total of $1425, but without DJI Care Refresh. (would still need to buy that from DJI directly at a cost of $99 USD, so after exchange, let's call that $135. So that puts me at a total of $1560 CAD if bought locally, vs $1425 bought direct, so total savings of $110

Add to that the few bucks in loyalty $ you get from DJI, and it's a fairly significant savings.

If ordering more stuff over time, or larger orders you potentially save even more.

Thanks for that - I ordered from a Canadian supplier and the total (with tax) was just north of $2K with expedited shipping. At least I ordered the Care Refresh for $99 from DJI. The Canadian vendor would have added tax!! (Which is dumb as it is not a service that takes place in Canada).

I'll be ordering the P4P with extras direct from DJI - will save roughly CAD$600.

Last edited:
I'll try to remember that when I commit. Angel says wait until early April. Devil says ORDER THE F****** NOW!!!!

When has listening to the Devil ever done anyone any harm? ;) lol

*Swats at goodie two shoes angel trying to ruin all your fun*

(you know you want a shiny new toy!)

(yes I'm evil) :)

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

LOL 1350 + 175 = 1425??????? try 1525 . Then you said it was 1425 if bought direct but said it was 1450 earlier, haha. next you said 1560 - 1425 = 110 WTF!!!!! LOL

LOL 1350 + 175 = 1425??????? try 1525 . Then you said it was 1425 if bought direct but said it was 1450 earlier, haha. next you said 1560 - 1425 = 110 WTF!!!!! LOL

Hey, it's the new math!

WOW! My abacus was apparently broken!

LMAO, that's fantastic... The best part is math actually IS one of my strong points. I was apparently distracted, or tired, or drunk, or fell off my chair and suffering from a concussion, or all of the above :)

Anyway, Let me attempt to redo that math for you...

Total paid to DJI direct was 1098 USD. This came out to approx $1450 CAD total.

Local retail price in Canada from practically any vendor is $1350, including Amazon Canada, who will ship for free, so if I calculate $1350 plus tax (but free shipping)

1350 + 13% tax = is approx $1525 ($175 in tax approx)

Now for DJI Care Refresh, we can calculate I paid an exchange rate of approx $1.32 which is approximately correct, Google currently says $1.33

So $99 USD would be approx $130 CAD

Add that to the previous local total of $1525 to get a final total of $1655 CAD to get the same thing locally

This means $1655 - $1450 is a total savings of approx $205 CAD.

Re-reading that previous message, wow... Was I having some kind of stroke when I wrote that? Lol...

Now if I come back later today, and this math makes no sense either, then either one of the mods is messing with me, or I need to go to a doctor and get an MRI done lol...

Ordered both my P3 Advanced and MP from DJI. No additional taxes. Just what went in the CC bill.

Ordered both my P3 Advanced and MP from DJI. No additional taxes. Just what went in the CC bill.

Thanks. I'm prevaricating on ordering now and having to pay the CC at the end of April or ordering around April 7 and paying at the end of May. I love it when the bank is lending me cash interest free.

Reactions: Air Nedhead
Thanks. I'm prevaricating on ordering now and having to pay the CC at the end of April or ordering around April 7 and paying at the end of May. I love it when the bank is lending me cash interest free.

Tough call, in that case I'd possibly wait to get the extra interest free deferred payment.

Hey, it's the new math!

WOW! My abacus was apparently broken!

LMAO, that's fantastic... The best part is math actually IS one of my strong points. I was apparently distracted, or tired, or drunk, or fell off my chair and suffering from a concussion, or all of the above :)

Anyway, Let me attempt to redo that math for you...

Total paid to DJI direct was 1098 USD. This came out to approx $1450 CAD total.

Local retail price in Canada from practically any vendor is $1350, including Amazon Canada, who will ship for free, so if I calculate $1350 plus tax (but free shipping)

1350 + 13% tax = is approx $1525 ($175 in tax approx)

Now for DJI Care Refresh, we can calculate I paid an exchange rate of approx $1.32 which is approximately correct, Google currently says $1.33

So $99 USD would be approx $130 CAD

Add that to the previous local total of $1525 to get a final total of $1655 CAD to get the same thing locally

This means $1655 - $1450 is a total savings of approx $205 CAD.

Re-reading that previous message, wow... Was I having some kind of stroke when I wrote that? Lol...

Now if I come back later today, and this math makes no sense either, then either one of the mods is messing with me, or I need to go to a doctor and get an MRI done lol...
I totally forgot about this post! when I read your reply I had a good laugh!

Reactions: Glasswalker
I totally forgot about this post! when I read your reply I had a good laugh!
Lol, glad I could brighten your day with my sudden unexpected onset of brain damage ;) lol

August 2017

Purchased Mavic Pro Fly More bundle from DJI for US$1314. Came to C$1624 with dollar at 1.25/.80025. Was delivered without any customs fees or taxes. So yeah, can confirm that DJI pays for the taxes and covers shipping. That's a savings of over C$400 from the cheapest in Canada.

Ordered on Saturday and was delivered Wednesday afternoon to Ontario.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000