Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't connect - Admission, I'm an idiot

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
Let me start with these questions for forum members:
1. Is anyone successfully using a Samsung S6, 7 or 8 that has been upgraded to Nougat?
2. Anyone who has had similar connection problems with Samsung S6, 7 or 8 that has sent in their Mavic and or RC, was the connection issue fixed?
3. After reading below, does anyone have any suggestions for steps I may have missed?
4. Is the only solution to purchase an iPhone or iPad assuming these work well with the latest Mavic updates?

First a Repair History timeline:

1. Mavic Pro sent for repair April 7th
  2. UPS tracking showed it arrived April 11th
  3. Case accepted April 17th
  4. Received (whatever this means) and Damage Assessed April 28th
  5. PayPal payment made immediately as PayPal account shows:
    "Payment sent to IFLIGHT TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LIMITED April 28, 2017 at 9:48:56 AM PDT."
  6. DJI received payment 4 days later May 2nd.
  7. Received call from DJI North America May 8th and follow up email says:
    "Your case was escalated and your shipping was upgraded from standard to 2 day." Whoopee!!!
  8. Next we see DJI's timeline says Product Delivered May 12th.
  9. Wait a minute (or 6 weeks), on May 11th, I received Shipped notice with UPS Standard (5 day).
  10. Unit finally arrived May 18th.
Even with DJI Care Refresh, frankly, the 6 week turnaround was not surprising based on other's experiences.

Some background, I have a Master's Degree and since 1984 have had 3 successful Computer businesses. I think I understand reading manuals and directions. Also know the value of peer to peer help and read forums regularly.

After receiving the repaired or replaced Mavic 3 days ago, I've spent at least 20 hours trying to connect the RC using my Samsung S6 to the Mavic. The S6 previously worked fine with the Mavic. The S6 was updated to Nougat whilst Mavic was taking vacation at Cerritos repair center.

The returned Mavic came with version 4.0.700 firmware. First 8 hours spent trying to get RC (not sent in with repair) to upgrade to 4.0.700. Tried updating through latest DJI Assistant 2 as well as unsuccessfully through RC. Finally downgraded Mavic to 4.0.400 and was able to connect RC to Assistant 2. Next, Upgraded both RC and Mavic to 4.0.700.

Then received messages like, "Failed to send commands, try later," and Failed to save (device name)." DJI Go4 at bottom of first screen says, "RC Connected." Main screen says, "Aircraft Disconnected."

Tried myriad suggestions from Forums. Things like using the lower USB port without the small connector connected, turned off Wi-Fi, tried connecting RC to Mavic with the Wi-Fi feature. The last, after some difficulty, led me through to register the Mavic. I felt that must have fixed the problem. No such luck. Thought of Dante's words, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." I GIVE UP.

Marty Markoe, a beaten man

Well there is supposed to be a newer version of the app sometime soon isn't there,maybe that will add support for additional devices and compatibility for Nougat

I will also add I had a very strange problem when I first got my Mavic :)
Not matter what I did I just couldn't get the phone (S6 Edge Plus) to connect with the controller,jt just flat out refused.
Anyway to cut a long story short the USB port on my phone was full of fluff!
My phone is in a case but the USB port on the bottom is still exposed,over the two years I have had it it has obviously got blocked by fluff in my pocket :)
It took me two goes to get the USB port on the phone clean enough to get a decent connection,the lead wasn't going in quite far enough to get a reliable connection along with the connection itself being very dirty.
Might sound random but might be at least worth looking at.

I can run DJI Go 4 on my S7 Edge with Bird on 700 and Edge on Nougat. The only problem I have is touching the edge of the screen and hiding the Go. I no longer use the phone for flying. It is for talking to humans. I got a Galaxy Tab S2 T710 version. Superb tablet and I have it dedicated to the Mavic.

Well there is supposed to be a newer version of the app sometime soon isn't there,maybe that will add support for additional devices and compatibility for Nougat
Yes, the soon to come update messages pop up each time GO 4 is started. Won't be holding my breath.
Thanks,
Marty

Although they are too big to fit the controller, I tried Samsung Tablets and could not connect.
Marty

My Tab S2 8 inch fits better than my S7 Edge phone. The top corners (landscape view) fit perfectly in the slots in the extendable arms. As if it were made for the S2

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143