DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car charger is faster than normal charger?

scoopdreams

Reactions
Does anyone know if the car charger actually charges the Mavic batteries faster than the normal charger?

f3HScFltD4IV84SmIeJvgRe_DUvlQW2zMxa303R38W5tEvnlOG-MOY-hIfeKX49thGkF5nMPCJs=w1302-h976-no-tmp.jpg

Normal charger output: 13.05V 3.83A = ~50W
Car charger output: 13.05V 6A = ~80W

I have a DC 24V psu for my revolectrix powerlab 8 - technically it's possible to cut the cigarette power adapter and solder let's say an XT60, then use the car charger in the house as a faster (and smaller) charger (and still retain the use of a cigarette lighter adapter by having an XT60 soldered on the cigarette lighter adapter wire end).

My electrical knowledge says it's doable, does anyone have any idea if it's actually *advisable*?

Reactions: Crusader
Does anyone know if the car charger actually charges the Mavic batteries faster than the normal charger?

f3HScFltD4IV84SmIeJvgRe_DUvlQW2zMxa303R38W5tEvnlOG-MOY-hIfeKX49thGkF5nMPCJs=w1302-h976-no-tmp.jpg

I have a DC 24V psu for my revolectrix powerlab 8 - technically it's possible to cut the cigarette power adapter and solder let's say an XT60, then use the car charger in the house as a faster (and smaller) charger (and still retain the use of a cigarette lighter adapter by having an XT60 soldered on the cigarette lighter adapter wire end).

My electrical knowledge says it's doable, does anyone have any idea if it's actually *advisable*?
I believe the car charger does charge faster.
The Mavic packs are actually rated at 2c for charging and the car charger exploits this fact.
Obviously DJI will no doubt market an AC 'Fast Charger at a later date to generate more income but for the time being this is probably the best way to get a faster charge.

Last edited:
I believe the car charger does charge faster.
The Mavic packs are actually rated at 2c for charging and the car charger exploits this fact.
Obviously DJI will no doubt market an AC 'Fast Charger's at a later date to generate more income but for the time being this is probably the best way to get a faster charge.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Would love to see a battery at 20% charged up via car charger and home charger, time it, and see how much faster the car charger is.

Does the Mavic even come with a 120 volt charger, all I see is a car charger with them, and I didn't see any 120 volt chargers for them on the DJI site. I seen somewhere that you can use a Phantom 4 charger but that would be complete out of line with DJI products as I have to have a different charges for the Inspire 1, phantom 2, phantom 3 and phantom 4.

I do have a 50A 12V power supply with cigarette plug at home.
When i will receive my Mavic (... :mad:....) I'll do the timing test and post the result here !
We definitely need to know who's faster !

Just tried the car charger for the first time. Battery being charged was at approximately 16% when plugged in and charged in under 50 minutes. Vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma

Car charger is awesome!

Attachments

• 14887280928912080786709.jpg
    14887280928912080786709.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Wasn't faster in my trial. I couldn't get the Mavic battery to charge beyond about 12.8 volts in 2 hours - that's least 0.2 V below a full charge.

My problem is that I couldn't get the 12V plugs in my Chevy Volt to output more than 12.9 V with the car turned on, even if I had the car plugged into its charge station.

I think I need at least 13.05V at the plug to get it to work right.

These DJI car chargers are weird, they need the engine / alternator of a car on and running to function properly 13.5-14 volts (14.7v when the engine is at speed). My Chevy Cruz would not get the battery to even light the status LEDs unless the engine was running; but then the battery charged fast.

Reactions: DJqpAZ
Wasn't faster in my trial. I couldn't get the Mavic battery to charge beyond about 12.8 volts in 2 hours - that's least 0.2 V below a full charge.

My problem is that I couldn't get the 12V plugs in my Chevy Volt to output more than 12.9 V with the car turned on, even if I had the car plugged into its charge station.

I think I need at least 13.05V at the plug to get it to work right.

That is correct you do have to have 13.05v at the plug for the charger to work.

Reactions: Kilrah
The fact the car charger specs claim it can drive up to 6A doesn't mean the battery is actually going to charge at 6A. I'd speculate the charge controller board, which decides how much current to drive into actual cells, is inside the battery, not the charger. Anyway, the car charger being able to supply more power doesn't mean the load connected to it (the battery) will actually take more power.

Did anyone actually time how long does it take to charger the same battery from 0 to 100% using one charger and then the other?

Reactions: Mavic Johnson
I'd speculate the charge controller board, which decides how much current to drive into actual cells, is inside the battery, not the charger.
No, the current limiter which decides of the current in the CC part of the charge cycle is in the charger.

But yes it only means the CC part will be faster at first, so maybe about 30% less charge time.

But yes it only means the CC part will be faster at first, so maybe about 30% less charge time.
When you run the CC charging and eventually hit the voltage limit (so you are now in CV), you are still at the CC current. The current drops gradually in CV, all the way down to 0, so as long as the CV charging current is still above the 'original' CC current, the CV is also faster.

In any case, TBH, i'd rather let the batteries live a bit longer and not charge at 2C.

We have already learned that the stock wall charger is not the fastest way to charge from the multi charger threads. I bought a 5-1 charger myself. I also know that the 4-1 charger has more amps per cable/battery then the 5-1. Things get way slower when you start charging multiple batteries with the stock charger vs. the multi chargers.

Reactions: shuddee
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun