DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car Inverter to DJI Mavic Multi-charger

ArmArcher

Reactions
Hi fellow mavic flyers,

I am about to head for my road trip and was wondering if anyone use this charger:
sku_462586_1.jpg

for their road trip and charge it inside their car, i am currently looking at a range of car power inverter in Amazon but am not sure which will work fine for this charger and my 3 batteries. I am not a engineer so i was hoping if anyone can give me some advice on which power inverter i should buy? Anyway i am heading for a long trip in New Zealand.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Seen plenty of reports regarding earthing issues with that charger.

I just use a basic 12v car inverter with the stock charger.

Reactions: lekrantz
Remember most of cigarettes lighters are limited to 10A, so charging 2 batteries at 4A plus all the wasted energy on conversions will reach this limit

Reactions: Soundtekk
Hi fellow mavic flyers,

I am about to head for my road trip and was wondering if anyone use this charger:
sku_462586_1.jpg

for their road trip and charge it inside their car, i am currently looking at a range of car power inverter in Amazon but am not sure which will work fine for this charger and my 3 batteries. I am not a engineer so i was hoping if anyone can give me some advice on which power inverter i should buy? Anyway i am heading for a long trip in New Zealand.

Thanks for your help

I have this one and yes I opened it up and put my own ground on but some have been coming with the ground wire on it. No big deal. But as far as the charger goes it's awesome works great and ever since I received it I haven't used the stock chargers and hub. It works better and faster than the stock stuff. You wouldn't be sorry for buying this I can tell you that. Hope this helps some... Fly safe and get great pictures.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I saw a video on that charger and the 3rd prong on the electrical plug was not connected to ground, that was the only issue and it was also an easy fix. I have that same charger on my amazon wish list but I don't ever see myself needing to charge everything at once. I bought this cheap 400 watt inverter from harbor freight and it charged a single phantom battery no problem with the DJI charger. I imagine it would do a single mavic battery as well.
image_25234.jpg

It kept blowing my truck's 12v plug fuses.
I had to use two separate cigarette plugs, each on a separate fuse bumped up from the dismal 5amp each to 15amp each, I then spliced two 12v plug wires into my 450 watt inverter, It behaves really weird, makes the batteries blink as if they are charging but the green lights on the charger never turn red to indicate they are charging. Yo

You need an inverter that suites yoru needs and a large 12-13.5v battery. There are a few emergency jump starter units that have this built into them but they are really expensive(150+ Dollars) Most modern nverters have voltage protection so they will shut off and alarm when the battery gets critically low (PB acid batteries become trash when they are completely depleted. And make absolutely sure that when the unit is not in use that you put it on a trickle charge.

Don't go around changing fuse sizes without having changed the car wiring to something suitable. That fuse is rated 5A for a reason.
If you try pushing 15A through 22 gauge wire for example, you're likely to burn the wire, possibly the car.

Keep it simple, the 12v DJI charger works great, but in my case I did need to go with a step up voltage converter.
The DJI charger say it needs 13.1v (from memory), so SHOULD be ok when driving with alternator charge . . . however I do a lot of outback touring, fully off grid for over a month sometimes, running fridge / freezer, led lighting etc, and all charging needs for phone / ipads / DJI batteries.

This is just an example of what I bought from a local Australian supplier . . . google 12v to 13.8v step converter in your location, you may get a better price / local service . . .

DC 12V to 13.8V 18A 248W Car Step Up Power Supply Transformer Converter 714998379344 | eBay
Some good 15amp male and female cigarette light plugs, and you're set.

This step converter gives good 13.8v constant, just have to watch battery level in vehicle if not driving (I also have solar panel charging for camps).
I can use the 4 way charger (it only does one at a time anyway), but with 4 batteries I'm usually ok to just do one at a time, changing when stopped at various times through the day.

12v charges a lot faster than the mains charger !!
I find this with other battery charging systems too, like some of my power tool batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000