DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Carrying your drone on commercial flight allowed or not? Please help

eyenthesky

Reactions
Does anyone no if your are allowed to carry your drone on a commercial flight in a carry on bag? Will be going on a vac.to Bora Bora and would really love to carry it. I have seen a few post on line and I am more confused now. Some say you can and some say you can't. PLEASE help if you no? And also let me no what I need to do. Thanks

It has to be carry-on, no LiPos allowed in the hold. Look up airline FAQs guidance on their webpage. Security should not be an issue, take a LiPo bag and tape over the terminals. While you're looking up the airline FAQ;s, google the rules are about droning in Bora Bora

It has to be carry-on, no LiPos allowed in the hold. Look up airline FAQs guidance on their webpage. Security should not be an issue, take a LiPo bag and tape over the terminals. While you're looking up the airline FAQ;s, google the rules are about droning in Bora Bora

Thank you Alex

Did this for the inspire, but same rules apply for any drone & lipo batteries. Check with Airline as things do change. for example British Airways are now limiting you to two batteries under 100wh's.

This also has some good information. The guy was kicked off of a Southwest flight, even though he was being safe with his batteries:

I'll be flying with my Mavic next month and plan to have the battery sheet from the FAA's web site printed out - just in case.

I recently heard of events that certain eastern european as well as some african countries confiscate without proper grounds but never return the device as the pilot is being released ... I would make sure the device is 'legal' to own in the area you are visiting ..

Not trying to hijack but has anyone taken their drone to Hawaii, specifically Maui? I am traveling there in March and plan on taking my Mavic.

Thanks

Reactions: Icarus
Not trying to hijack but has anyone taken their drone to Hawaii, specifically Maui? I am traveling there in March and plan on taking my Mavic.

Thanks

Yes, have been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu with drones. Maui is definitely one of the easiest islands to fly on. You've got the main airport airspace around Kahului and then there are two small private airports. As always around Hawaii, you need to be very alert for helicopters. On the west side of the island there is a lot more helicopter activity as the flights go over to Lanai and Molokai. Be vigilant, respect people's privacy and be safe! Enjoy Maui! :cool:

Reactions: Icarus
Maui rocks. Here is a shot of Ka'anapali. Fantastic.
3efe9d1f7d449a5c82ef0fa50b80145c.jpg

Cheers,
Gossen

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Advexure
Yes, have been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu with drones. Maui is definitely one of the easiest islands to fly on. You've got the main airport airspace around Kahului and then there are two small private airports. As always around Hawaii, you need to be very alert for helicopters. On the west side of the island there is a lot more helicopter activity as the flights go over to Lanai and Molokai. Be vigilant, respect people's privacy and be safe! Enjoy Maui! :cool:

Thank you for the reply! We are staying at the Grand Wailea on the southwest side of Maui. I would REALLY like to try to get aerial videos of whales.. is it recommended to get approval from the resort to fly? Are they likely to grant permission? I believe all beaches in Hawaii are public, does that mean I can fly from the beach adjacent to the hotel?

Maui rocks. Here is a shot of Ka'anapali. Fantastic.
3efe9d1f7d449a5c82ef0fa50b80145c.jpg

Cheers,
Gossen

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Great shot. Are you at the Marriott there to the right?..maybe it's just a bit further behind you. Great snorkeling at Black Rock (in the distance).

Thank you for the reply! We are staying at the Grand Wailea on the southwest side of Maui. I would REALLY like to try to get aerial videos of whales.. is it recommended to get approval from the resort to fly? Are they likely to grant permission? I believe all beaches in Hawaii are public, does that mean I can fly from the beach adjacent to the hotel?

You should be perfectly fine flying in Wailea. The planes to Kahului approach closer to your area but they are still at a few thousand feet and you should be outside the radius of Kahului's class C airspace. From Wailea you may be able to fly out to Molokini. Definitely do if its a calm day. There is a another uninhabited island on that side as well that you may be able to get out to with your drone.

No need to get approval from the resort. Only if you are flying over their property. Just be respectful of resort guests and take off/land in a safe, secluded space. You are correct that all Hawaiian beaches are public. Again, you need to be on high alert for helicopters. These should be above 500 feet but they can legally be lower.

You should be perfectly fine flying in Wailea. The planes to Kahului approach closer to your area but they are still at a few thousand feet and you should be outside the radius of Kahului's class C airspace. From Wailea you may be able to fly out to Molokini. Definitely do if its a calm day. There is a another uninhabited island on that side as well that you may be able to get out to with your drone.

No need to get approval from the resort. Only if you are flying over their property. Just be respectful of resort guests and take off/land in a safe, secluded space. You are correct that all Hawaiian beaches are public. Again, you need to be on high alert for helicopters. These should be above 500 feet but they can legally be lower.
Thank you.

I mentioned this on a Polar Pro post but I'll mention it here too. I appreciate the fact that you took the appropriate steps/investment to be an approved vendor. I am not sure why, but it really irritates me when people come here advertising their stuff/services that aren't approved vendors. They lose credibility to me... And I am far from the internet police type...

Thank you.

I mentioned this on a Polar Pro post but I'll mention it here too. I appreciate the fact that you took the appropriate steps/investment to be an approved vendor. I am not sure why, but it really irritates me when people come here advertising their stuff/services that aren't approved vendors. They lose credibility to me... And I am far from the internet police type...

We appreciate the positive feedback. Our team has always been very active in all owner's groups and forums since day one for all product that we've carried over the years. We're always happy to give back the forums with whatever information we can. Enjoy your time in Hawaii. Part of our team was there a few weeks back on a project..unfortunately we didn't have the best weather but it's always great to be in Hawaii. Safe travels!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair