DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat has the drones you're looking for.

recon1172

Reactions
I was listening to the Ask Drone U podcast last night and the host was mentioned that Casey Neistat is on his 17th Mavic Pro and unless you had $17,000 to spend on Mavics like Casey, make sure you're calibrating as needed. His cohost was like, "Seriously?" The host says something to the effect of, "Well, what do you expect, he's flying between building all the time." I thought that was funny.

I was listening to the Ask Drone U podcast last night and the host was mentioned that Casey Neistat is on his 17th Mavic Pro and unless you had $17,000 to spend on Mavics like Casey, make sure you're calibrating as needed. His cohost was like, "Seriously?" The host says something to the effect of, "Well, what do you expect, he's flying between building all the time." I thought that was funny.
I can't quite figure out why this guy is such a big deal?? I guess he has a following in the millions......must be a generational thing?

Reactions: jointeffort
He showed his wall of DSLR boxes in a video he did yesterday. It looked to be around 20 DSLRs he went through in 2 years I think he said. He's, uh, "rough" on his equipment for sure.

I can't quite figure out why this guy is such a big deal?? I guess he has a following in the millions......must be a generational thing?
Honestly I think he just lucked out with timing of the whole youtube video sharing stuff. He was one of those guys who got into youtube and sharing videos initially and when it took off guess who took off with it. I have watched his videos over the years and they're nothing special. Nothing special for content, nothing special for editing, just bare bones a guy talking and showing you nonsense. Now that he has developed such a following companies like DJI clearly reach out to him knowing his social media outreach.

After seeing his company get acquired for X million I am sure the 17k in drones is chump change for him

Honestly I think he just lucked out with timing of the whole youtube video sharing stuff. He was one of those guys who got into youtube and sharing videos initially and when it took off guess who took off with it. I have watched his videos over the years and they're nothing special. Nothing special for content, nothing special for editing, just bare bones a guy talking and showing you nonsense. Now that he has developed such a following companies like DJI clearly reach out to him knowing his social media outreach.

After seeing his company get acquired for X million I am sure the 17k in drones is chump change for him
It really kind of cracks me up, I worked as a photojournalist for 35 years at everything from a small daily newspaper to National Geographic Magazine during a time when a Professional photographer was a pretty deep skill set, unlike the digital world of today.
I still sell some work through my agencies, but I am amazed how many people will basically donate their work just to see it in print. Very tough to make living in this marketplace. I guess you can be "rough" on your gear if people are giving them to you.....

Last edited:
It really kind of cracks me up, I worked as a photojournalist for 35 years at everything from a small daily newspaper to National Geographic Magazine during a time when a Professional photographer was a pretty deep skill set, unlike the digital world of today.
I still sell some work through my agencies, but I am amazed how many people will basically donate their work just to see it in print. Very tough to make living in this marketplace. I guess you can be "rough" and your gear if people are giving to you.....

well said!!!!

Reactions: jointeffort
He should write up his experiences on how he destroyed / lost his Mavics so we all can learn on what not to do! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MavicPilots mobile app
You have got to hand it to the guy, he has made a buttload of money pulling some kind of " Jackass" stunts in front of the camera! I saw a recent video he did talking about how much he loved the Canon 70D, then cutting off the rubber seals over mic jack with a pen knife and throwing the 70D down onto the table with dreadful sma$$$h

Reactions: BIGDAVE
Honestly I think he just lucked out with timing of the whole youtube video sharing stuff. He was one of those guys who got into youtube and sharing videos initially and when it took off guess who took off with it.

Actually Casey became famous before that. He did a Multi Part HBO Documentary on himself and his brother. That's what really launched his career.

Everyone knows him from youtube and I know he has made money on that. But really he sold a project to HBO for 2 Million before he was ever on Youtube. And his first VLOG was about the ipod battery before youtube and the HBO thing. Now his roll in car commercials for Mercedes and a ton of other things more recent can probley be rolled back into his youtube. But My point is even if you only know him for Youtube he had money before youtube and hes making a ton more outside of youtube (which he recently stopped) now. So like his cheap, low level basic youtube videos or not he does much more then that even if that's the main reason hes popular or "known" now.

Also he just sold his video app to CNN (or HBO, can't remember which) for a buttload of cash.

It's BS. I follow Casey and watch a lot of his vids.

He lost his first Mavic which was a pre-production model, same as Jon Olsson and iJustine and a couple others. He just recently got his production model, which he mentioned in his vids was his second one. From the time he lost the first one, until a couple weeks ago, he was using his P4 instead.

More likely he had 17 drones in total as he broke plenty of Phantoms before the Mavic.
I suspect 'Mavic' is almost becoming the media's generic name for small quadcopter like Hoover for vacuum cleaners.

You are correct he did HBO but lets be serious. Did he really reach the fame and success he is at now because of just that, or is it because of youtube as well. Absolutely no denying HBO got him the start but if he quit right then and there do you think he would be just another nobody?

You are correct he did HBO but lets be serious. Did he really reach the fame and success he is at now because of just that, or is it because of youtube as well. Absolutely no denying HBO got him the start but if he quit right then and there do you think he would be just another nobody?

There is two things here. Being well known and being successful or making money. Yes they overlap too a certain extent.

There is plenty of people that are well know but broke, and there are plenty of people I could bump into and never know they are well off.

Casey's most recent deal was 25mil with CNN. If he would have quit youtube two years ago that might not have happened. If he never did the HBO thing, youtube might not have happend. Bottomline is..... currently he's getting fatter pockets and Youtube was in the middle of his carer at this point. He didn't start there, he hasn't ended there but everything has played a role in his successful pockets. It's just people see him on youtube and he's known from that.

Reactions: noone
There is two things here. Being well known and being successful or making money. Yes they overlap too a certain extent.

There is plenty of people that are well know but broke, and there are plenty of people I could bump into and never know they are well off.

Casey's most recent deal was 25mil with CNN. If he would have quit youtube two years ago that might not have happened. If he never did the HBO thing, youtube might not have happend. Bottomline is..... currently he's getting fatter pockets and Youtube was in the middle of his carer at this point. He didn't start there, he hasn't ended there but everything has played a role in his successful pockets. It's just people see him on youtube and he's known from that.

No disagreement here. To me until he announced his deal with CNN I had no idea he was worth a dollar it still surprises me how much revenue there is to generate from YouTube videos . I'll admit I'm jealous I wake up at the crack of dawn to go put in a hard week of work if not more, like most everyone else in this forum I would love to be making YouTube videos for a living

Reactions: noone
Pretty sure he has only broken and lost one Mavic....The FAA would be all over his *** if he was crashing and loosing drones left and right. Im acutally surprised they arent because I can pretty much attest he wont be calling towers before flights

Reactions: KiterTodd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143