DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat under FAA investigation

Is it okay to hate the guy (Casey Neistat) because he looks like a douche bag? I didn't even know who he was till I saw his pic. I have never even sat through an entire video of his.

I'm in your camp...LOL

Absolutely, but it's not you or me who's going to punish him are we? Nor should we be making the judgements, and make a great tool for info like this forum a lot worse for its use and even scare away some users. Just so we can feel the satisfaction of sitting in an imaginary judge stool that only exists in our own reality.

It's time for a toy Story quote :

"Woody: All right, that's enough! Look, we're all very impressed with Andy's new toy.

Buzz: Toy?

Woody: T-O-Y, Toy!

Buzz: Excuse me, I think the word you're searching for is "Space Ranger".

Woody: The word I'm searching for - I can't say, because there's preschool toys present."

----
Learn your place in the world people.
You remind me of that video of the guy crying under his cover when Britney Spears went crazy, screaming LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE! Why do you care if people have a bad opinion on him? He made himself famous so he has to take the good and bad of public opinion.

YES!!!! This was my goal to create a thread with a ton of feedback. I feel so popular now.
I watch his videos all the time and find them entertaining. I personally wouldn't fly like he does but sometimes I wish I could. I just wish that flying a DREADED DRONE wasn't such a big deal and wish that the public and the government would calm the F down! No one ever created such a huge stink about RC planes with FPV capabilities which have been around for more than 10 years!
Anyways I didn't really want to make this such a big deal.

You remind me of that video of the guy crying under his cover when Britney Spears went crazy, screaming LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE! Why do you care if people have a bad opinion on him? He made himself famous so he has to take the good and bad of public opinion.

show me one time where I am defending this guy? I'm not sure if you are qualified to read if that is what you read out if my comments.

Reactions: Finseeker
show me one time where I am defending this guy? I'm not sure if you are qualified to read if that is what you read out if my comments.
Why have you been replying to my comments then, it sure seems like you are defending him.

Telling me not to judge society and such lol come on man.

Why have you been replying to my comments then, it sure seems like you are defending him.

Telling me not to judge society and such lol come on man.

I'm talking about in general. This forum is full of people judging each other and everyone. I'm just saying we should use this as a tool to share info and learn, not fight and throw rocks. We all have broken laws at some point in our life, is that acceptable, probably not. But it's really not the time or the place..... People will break law, this forum and probably the whole internet will end up ruined if everyone is going to point out other people's wrongdoing. All the negativity in here is seriously getting to me. Now I'm out, this argument will probably go on for ever and I'm not in the mood guys. [emoji622]

I'm talking about in general. This forum is full of people judging each other and everyone. I'm just saying we should use this as a tool to share info and learn, not fight and throw rocks. We all have broken laws at some point in our life, is that acceptable, probably not. But it's really not the time or the place..... People will break law, this forum and probably the whole internet will end up ruined if everyone is going to point out other people's wrongdoing. All the negativity in here is seriously getting to me. Now I'm out, this argument will probably go on for ever and I'm not in the mood guys. [emoji622]
People break the rules all the time but I haven't seen to many people break the rules like Casey though, he's high profile that's why people are talking about him. I'm sure he doesn't care who's talking about him anyway and he might even like it because it gives him attention. Either way he's being investigated and might be in deep trouble who knows.

People break the rules all the time but I haven't seen to many people break the rules like Casey though, he's high profile that's why people are talking about him. I'm sure he doesn't care who's talking about him anyway and he might even like it because it gives him attention. Either way he's being investigated and might be in deep trouble who knows.

I used to like his old VLog... mainly for the drones.

However when he quit it kind of irritated me the way he did it... "boo hoo poor me, I'm rich etc.".

He used to to tons of flying in New York. He also was the first one to lose a Mavic.

I don't care that he's famous if he's flying near airports and helipads then he should be punished just like everyone else, just because he's famous people shouldn't be defending him, he's not above the law and neither are we.

And since he's famous shouldn't he be setting a better example, he's got a large viewer base, some might want to do the things he does.

Using your own statement, everyone else that breaks drone laws is _equally_ as guilty and should be punished (this probably includes yourself... it certainly includes most of the people in this thread). Where is all the hate for everyone else? Why do you not comment on all those other threads when people are not following the laws? I _never_ came even close to say that he should not be treated like everyone else. What I _DID_ say was, if you are going to do that... treat everyone else like Neistat. When you have done this you will have a right to criticize him. But also make sure you've followed all of the laws all of the time.

I agree, perhaps he should be setting a better example. But he stated that he would and, in watching his videos, he has.

Using your own statement, everyone else that breaks drone laws is _equally_ as guilty and should be punished (this probably includes yourself... it certainly includes most of the people in this thread). Where is all the hate for everyone else? Why do you not comment on all those other threads when people are not following the laws? I _never_ came even close to say that he should not be treated like everyone else. What I _DID_ say was, if you are going to do that... treat everyone else like Neistat. When you have done this you will have a right to criticize him. But also make sure you've followed all of the laws all of the time.

I agree, perhaps he should be setting a better example. But he stated that he would and, in watching his videos, he has.
NYC is basically one giant airport, helipads every where, news and police choppers flying a lot. When have any of us posted videos showing us flying near airports? Flying in South Dakota one of the least populated states in the U.S is different from flying in one of the worlds biggest and populated places, Heliports, millions of people, aircraft flying by, me flying out in the middle of South Dakota isn't even on the same level. I don't have to worry about taking a news chopper or police helicopter out if I fly or if it crashes, I don't have to worry about hurting someone. His level of malice is a lot bigger, I don't care if you think where I fly is the same as what he does, I'm not buying it.

And I do treat everyone else, if you are basically fly around airports then you will be treated the same.

Last edited:
As entertaining as he is in your first video or two before you realize just how much he's flouting, I have to be truthful and confess my inner ******* loves this.

A couple things....
First, Neistats flights could be looked at as a case study: According to forum opinion, the most irresponsible flying in the most congested of places had resulted in absolutely zero harm to any
One thus far.

Second, quit worrying about losing your beloved hobby. Money talks. Amazon wants drones, Google will most certainly want drones, we will continue to be able to fly. You don't see guns going anywhere, and they certainly pose greater risk to the public. Money talks. Rest easy my friends.

A couple things....
First, Neistats flights could be looked at as a case study: According to forum opinion, the most irresponsible flying in the most congested of places had resulted in absolutely zero harm to any
One thus far.

Not really, there's plenty other activities like drink driving or dangerous driving where there are individuals that have been repeatedly convicted yet never caused harm to anyone or anything else. The risk is still higher though and hence why these offences carry stiff penalties without any accident or actual damage. Drones are still in their infancy but as time goes on, the technology will improve and the cost will come down so there's going to be a lot more of them around - just a couple of weeks ago a drone being used to film a road race, similar to Casey it was flying illegally close and it ended up in the front hub of one of the bikes after it clipped a branch and lost control. It jammed in the front hub and threw the rider hard over the handlebars damaging the bike and injuring the rider. This week someone lost control of their GoPro Karma being flown illegally in a baseball stadium, it didn't suffer a power loss but thankfully slammed into an empty seat missing people either side otherwise it likely would have caused harm

Second, quit worrying about losing your beloved hobby. Money talks. Amazon wants drones, Google will most certainly want drones, we will continue to be able to fly. You don't see guns going anywhere, and they certainly pose greater risk to the public. Money talks. Rest easy my friends.

That logic doesn't work, guns have a special place in the US legal system but that doesn't mean other less lethal items get an easier ride. The most extreme example going the other way would be that despite the allowances for guns, Kinder eggs remain banned in the US. There is plenty good reason to worry about the hobby as drone use widens and more people choose to ignore the rules, it's certainly a distinct possibility there will be additional software restrictions to enforce them. While in theory that shouldn't affect those flying drones legally it's often the case that restrictions end up affecting or inconveniencing those who are complying.

John

Reactions: Kestrel
He's good at what it does...we wouldn't have had New York landscapes filmed by him mostly over the Hudson river to enjoy, he got his first P3 not long ago and got hooked like us

very few have been hurt by quads unlike helicopters and planes, and have helped many

NYC is basically one giant airport, helipads every where, news and police choppers flying a lot. When have any of us posted videos showing us flying near airports?

Because you can't see an airport in the video does not mean the person is not within 5 miles of an airport/helipad. This includes almost every hospital. I guarantee you, almost everyone on this forum has flown within 5 miles of an "airport" without calling them. If you'd like, break out the b4ufly app and check your own flight.

Flying in South Dakota one of the least populated states in the U.S is different from flying in one of the worlds biggest and populated places, Heliports, millions of people, aircraft flying by, me flying out in the middle of South Dakota isn't even on the same level. I don't have to worry about taking a news chopper or police helicopter out if I fly or if it crashes, I don't have to worry about hurting someone. His level of malice is a lot bigger, I don't care if you think where I fly is the same as what he does, I'm not buying it.
I'm not sure why you keep only mentioning yourself as a comparison. The point I've always made is that you should not only be upset at Neistat as most everyone even in this forum would be guilty of what you criticize him for doing. As this is true, I'm questioning why you don't then criticize everyone equally. I'll give you the answer... as it applies to most that have posted negative comments in this thread... because he's very well known and that makes him a big, easy target and some people feel better about themselves by being critical of someone just because they are well known.

NYC is basically one giant airport, helipads every where, news and police choppers flying a lot. When have any of us posted videos showing us flying near airports?
Because you can't see an airport in the video does not mean the person is not within 5 miles of an airport/helipad. This includes almost every hospital. I guarantee you, almost everyone on this forum has flown within 5 miles of an "airport" without calling them. If you'd like, break out the b4ufly app and check your own flight.

And I do treat everyone else, if you are basically fly around airports then you will be treated the same.
So you've yet to fly beyond VLOS and you've never seen a video posted here of the same? If you have, were you critical of those posts and actions as well?

Must of missed that one with the seagull bringing down a huge jetliner, but do recall one going into the hudson after the engines injested a large flock of -several times bigger than a seagull - Canada geese; -)

Do agree with that people doing stupid things with drones then having the stupidity to post them should be banned from flying anything more than a paper airplane for life, no exceptions
As omeine who is unfamiliar with Casey, what did he do exactly? Fly in a no fly zone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S