DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat under FAA investigation

Isn't there any mention in the forum guidelines about starting posts with "you do realize...."?

I thing it should be punished by lifelong ban at minimum, even jailtime.

You do realize thow many people's perfectly fine evening is completely ruined because of knowitalls who commit such communication crimes?

(Find this arrogant reply I made? I'm just schooling you and teach you how to act. Just the way you are schooling people on how to fly and how not to.....)

I agree. You both need to learn how to spell the word correctly....Realise.

Reactions: bakerboy
I'm talking about in general. This forum is full of people judging each other and everyone. I'm just saying we should use this as a tool to share info and learn, not fight and throw rocks. We all have broken laws at some point in our life, is that acceptable, probably not. But it's really not the time or the place..... People will break law, this forum and probably the whole internet will end up ruined if everyone is going to point out other people's wrongdoing. All the negativity in here is seriously getting to me. Now I'm out, this argument will probably go on for ever and I'm not in the mood guys. [emoji622]

Goodbye.

I watch Casey's videos all the time and yes his flights could be seen as irresponsible but my guess is, if everyone on here stuck to the Drone Code then the pictures and videos forum would have about 3 posts in it. Yes there are idiots around but these people can get a driving license, a gun, have kids.. To obey the law you might as well tie a GoPro to a helium balloon with a long string. Personally, I try to follow the code as much as possible and where not, to be as responsible as possible. Casey isn't above the law regardless of how popular he is and will more than likely be made an example of but once again, if only people who stick to the law comment after this, i guess the thread won't get much longer..

Reactions: phagerman
Why did it take the authorities so long? It's not as if they didn't have enough evidence.
He flouts the rules of the road as well with his electric scateboard.

Chances are good that they were responding to a complaint or complaints. If so, it would be a standard and automatic response to any complaint filed with them. It's then _possible_ that he consulted an attorney who _might_ have told him that in his best interest to stop flying in NY until the matter is cleared up.

I belive Commercial Aircraft engines are designed to handle (push trough) medium sized birds, at least take that into count when you guys predict Armageddon. And I solely belive that mavic pro wouldn't even be considered medium sized bird.

1. Defrost a 700 gram chicken.

2. Have someone throw it at your head, at slow to medium speed.

3. Ask the same collaborator to throw a Mavic at you, next, with about the same speed.

Felt the difference?

So does a 5000 rpm fan...

MK

Last edited:
1. Defrost a 700 gram chicken.

2. Have someone throw it at your head, at slow to medium speed.

3. Ask the same collaborator to throw a Mavic at you, next, with about the same speed.

Felt the difference?

So does a 5000 rpm fan...

MK

There's far too many other variables to consider to make such a simplistic comparison. Birds can weigh many kilos more than a Mavic. How big is the flock of birds being thrown at you? Do they taste like chicken?

There's far too many other variables to consider to make such a simplistic comparison. Birds can weigh many kilos more than a Mavic. How big is the flock of birds being thrown at you? Do they taste like chicken?

You're confused and way off the mark.

The ironic reply was made, precisely, to counter the absurd idea, contained in the post I replied to, that the fact that turbofan engines are tested for containment of catastrophic failures resulting from encounters with organic flexible and easily tearable materials means that they are automatically equally capable to contain an encounter with a weight-equivalent device made from non-organic materials, something they have not being tested for.

Understand now?

MK

You're confused and way off the mark.

The ironic reply was made, precisely, to counter the absurd idea, contained in the post I replied to, that the fact that turbofan engines are tested for containment of catastrophic failures resulting from encounters with organic flexible and easily tearable materials means that they are automatically equally capable to contain an encounter with a weight-equivalent device made from non-organic materials, something they have not being tested for.

Understand now?

MK

And my response was making fun of the fact that we're even having this discussion at all. :)

Absolutely, but it's not you or me who's going to punish him are we? Nor should we be making the judgements, and make a great tool for info like this forum a lot worse for its use and even scare away some users. Just so we can feel the satisfaction of sitting in an imaginary judge stool that only exists in our own reality.

It's time for a toy Story quote :

"Woody: All right, that's enough! Look, we're all very impressed with Andy's new toy.

Buzz: Toy?

Woody: T-O-Y, Toy!

Buzz: Excuse me, I think the word you're searching for is "Space Ranger".

Woody: The word I'm searching for - I can't say, because there's preschool toys present."

----
Learn your place in the world people.

Not sure I can take you seriously if you're quoting Toy Story with all due respect

Reactions: willhay555
So what happens to the drone if launched in a 'legal' place, but flies to the edge of a geofence ? Automatic RTH or what ?

*No points for anyone who says "quite frankly Scarlet I don't give a ****"

So what happens to the drone if launched in a 'legal' place, but flies to the edge of a geofence ? Automatic RTH or what ?

*No points for anyone who says "quite frankly Scarlet I don't give a ****"
No u lose all intelligent flight modes and it goes into hover then you must take manual control and fly it back until away from the NFZ. Which is no help if you get an RC disconnect as your smart RTH is also limited when you hit the NFZ.

No u lose all intelligent flight modes and it goes into hover then you must take manual control and fly it back until away from the NFZ. Which is no help if you get an RC disconnect as your smart RTH is also limited when you hit the NFZ.

Doesn't this cause a legal issue for DJI ? I haven't agreed with FAA or DJI to be responsible for this drone if someone else is working it. I just own it.

Doesn't this cause a legal issue for DJI ? I haven't agreed with FAA or DJI to be responsible for this drone if someone else is working it. I just own it.

That is the point no one else is working it, only you. DJI do not want to be responsible for a failure within an NFZ of either the Mavic or their intelligent flight modes.

So they allow you the basics you need for flight and that is it, you take full control and responsibility for flying at the NFZ boundary.

You have to take control of your drone.

So you REALLY think a mavic would just blow through a turbine without hurting said turbine?

Probably. The Mavic's survivability - not so good. To put it into perspective, while aircraft try to avoid storms and hail - they are designed to handle it. Hail is a lot harder than a Mavic. This is NOT meant to be a reason for people to fly irresponsibly.

Here's a related article I found interesting.

What happens if a drone gets sucked into a passenger jet engine

Cheers!

It seems that everyone has so much hate AND the fact that none of you live in NYC. Listen he doesn't do anything that the rest of us native new yorkers don't do. If you lived here you'd understand why people fly the way they do, not saying that some people don't deserve a ticket or investigation but whats the point in having all this nice scenery and you can't see it ya know?

It seems that everyone has so much hate AND the fact that none of you live in NYC. Listen he doesn't do anything that the rest of us native new yorkers don't do. If you lived here you'd understand why people fly the way they do, not saying that some people don't deserve a ticket or investigation but whats the point in having all this nice scenery and you can't see it ya know?

I don't live in New York but I've been there.

The "douchiness" this gentleman constantly exhibits is in no way, shape or form characteristic of New Yorkers.

In fact, as a foreigner, I found New Yorkers to be very far from the rude, detached people they are usually portrayed as and, having traveled in other areas of the US, I think I know why they are systematically and wrongly portrayed like that by other Americans: Because they fortunately lack that fluffy idiotic, hyper-congenial attitude that seems to be pervasive in large parts of America, that repugnantly false "How're y'all today? Are y'all doing alright?" "friendly" attitude that makes one constantly wonder if they shouldn't be checking their blood sugar levels.

New Yorkers are actually congenial and emphatic in a quite normal way. It just so happens that they are also very practical and rarely put up with non-practical nonsense from strangers.

Conversely, this Neistat character is a certified DB in New York, Alabama, Nova Scotia, France or Tombuctu, for that mater, and it is just extremely unfortunate for us, as a group, that he decided to use and "test" drones.

MK

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
Because it's the law. And he is an ***. You love him, therefore you are an ***.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143