DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caution for over water then landing

Bzzz

Reactions
Hi. When flying low over water you need to turn downward sensors off. My plane does not maintain its altitude unless I do. BUT, thats in the manual so everyone should know. Whats not obvious, is when back on land and you are landing, your bottom sensors are off. So, that feature where your drone slows down and hovers 2 feet off the ground then you press down on stick to land is not on. I learned this by smacking my plane into the ground very hard and fast. No damage but could have been.

Just fyi

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

ooh! Great advice! I haven't had a chance to fly over water, but would never have thought of the second piece. Lesson learned - either turn it back on prior to landing or just land really slowly.

Or just keep the sensors on all the time and be careful!
Never had an issue myself!

Or just keep the sensors on all the time and be careful!
Never had an issue myself!

Good point. The downward sensors only engage when it is a few feet up so if you are flying high enough, it shouldn't be an issue.

I have done a few flights, tripod mode, over the water at 1-1.5m with sensors on with no issues, maybe it's the low speed that makes it ok

@Grey Wolf charged into the thread about antenna mods and said he sent a members post to the FAA for stating that they flew 5 miles out.

Reactions: technogky
I have seen several ppl say to make sure that your sensors are off over water. I am going to use my Mavic off my boat a lot and will turn all downward facing sensors off as I will be hand catching a lot, unless I build a landing platform off of my wake tower. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS