DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell Tower Interference

Ghordun

Reactions
I'm curious to find out if anyone has experienced any erratic behaviors in their Mavic when a cell tower is within los. Once my mavic arrives I had hoped to fly its maiden voyage on the middle school football field that is connected to my backyard. My only hesitation is the massive cell tower roughly a quarter mile away as measured on the B4UFly app.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've seen many YouTube videos completely contradicting one another on the answer to your question. Me, I avoid them. Why risk it?

I routinely fly in a park with a huge multi antenna cell tower, have come within 100' of it many times without any interference at all, once when a AT&T guy was looking at it with a scope I flew directly over it so he could see how much bird poop and nesting material was on it, no problem, although he did tell me to not fly around the big 500 watt tower across town as it might jam my signal. I was close to the Mavic so my controller signal was full strength, might be another story if I was 2000' out. I do have video but would have to clip out that part as it is long.

There were quite a few cell towers in the RC field I use. I did pick up some interference. Flew fine although. The Mavic is using 2.4GHz although the frequency is dialed a bit it is over used. Expect interference. The Mavic only has 5GHz in WiFi Mode not RC Mode. Certain areas you may have zero issues. Others a ton. So just be advised. The 2.4Ghz Spectrum is over used and to be FCC compliant it has to accept interference lol. That's basically what FCC compliant means. It accepts interference. All devices do including cell phones. You can't have one over powering the other.

Last edited:
Would this cause any issues with my MP?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170513-154140.jpg
    Screenshot_20170513-154140.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20170513-153712.jpg
    Screenshot_20170513-153712.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 24
I'm curious to find out if anyone has experienced any erratic behaviors in their Mavic when a cell tower is within los. Once my mavic arrives I had hoped to fly its maiden voyage on the middle school football field that is connected to my backyard. My only hesitation is the massive cell tower roughly a quarter mile away as measured on the B4UFly app.

I fly over and around a cell tower in an area I fly all the time with zero issue and notice no ill effects.

Reactions: Captain Suntan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S