DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changing altitude for RTH mid flight?

sabhai miagi

Reactions
Hi,
Wondering if I am mid flight and come across a tall tree, is it possible to adjust the rth altitude mid flight?
Anyone tried this?
Cheers

Yes, it's okay to change the RTH altitude mid-flight. You'll need to do this before RTH is initiated though.

Last edited:
You can also push throttle stick up and temporary over ride the RTH altitude if you see it is trouble .

In the advance settings if the RTH/obstacle avoidance....there is an option for the Mavic to do this automatically (rise and go over an obstacle)....but by default, this is turned off. So, if you don't have the proper RTH height set, like so many people have done, and your Mavic loses signal and heads straight towards a building... it should rise and go over it with this option enabled....

But it is disabled by default!

Could this be a ploy to sell/replace more drones? Why would this be defaulted to disabled....[emoji6]

Could this be a ploy to sell/replace more drones? Why would this be defaulted to disabled....[emoji6]

Probably because it's not all that reliable and DJI is once again taking themselves off the hook! I have seen a few YouTube videos of it responding to tree's in front of the drone. It either rises up into the branches and crashes or it rises up and gets near the top of the tree where the thin twig like branches are that it cannot detect and then it moves forward and runs into them. I still turn on mine because you never know, it might work in half of the situations and its better than the drone just sitting there.

Rob

Reactions: HiVac
Probably because it's not all that reliable and DJI is once again taking themselves off the hook! I have seen a few YouTube videos of it responding to tree's in front of the drone. It either rises up into the branches and crashes or it rises up and gets near the top of the tree where the thin twig like branches are that it cannot detect and then it moves forward and runs into them. I still turn on mine because you never know, it might work in half of the situations and its better than the drone just sitting there.

Rob

Best practice is to set RTH above the trees and then you only need to rely on OA for buildings/solid objects.

Hi Guys,
So today I had my first flight in Sunny Negombo and I must say I am stunned !
What a beautiful flight it was.
I am also so happy I asked this question, and the reason is we have so many coconut trees all over and some are much taller so my RTH height was set at 30m, but I realised while flying 40m is a safer bet.
Must say the drone handles amazing and I am really happy I have done my research before taking the first flight, and this forum has helped so much with that so I must say thank you for everyone on this group.
Will hopefully post a video soon once i get some editing done.

Question. I used the left reel to pan up and down on the camera but the speed is really fast.
How can I adjust this. the other option I thought of was the long press on screen, but that's messy while flying I felt, the reel is perfectly placed.

Cheers

Hi Guys,
So today I had my first flight in Sunny Negombo and I must say I am stunned !
What a beautiful flight it was.
I am also so happy I asked this question, and the reason is we have so many coconut trees all over and some are much taller so my RTH height was set at 30m, but I realised while flying 40m is a safer bet.
Must say the drone handles amazing and I am really happy I have done my research before taking the first flight, and this forum has helped so much with that so I must say thank you for everyone on this group.
Will hopefully post a video soon once i get some editing done.

Question. I used the left reel to pan up and down on the camera but the speed is really fast.
How can I adjust this. the other option I thought of was the long press on screen, but that's messy while flying I felt, the reel is perfectly placed.

Cheers
Hi Sabhai.

If you go into the gimbal settings on the app and click on advanced settings you can adjust gimbal pitch and gimbal pitch smoothness. I have mine set to 10 and 20 respectively.
This should give you much smoother gimbal movements.

Cheers

That reel is "progressive" in the sense that the more you move it and the quicker the camera will tilt accordingly. Try to roll it left or right just a couple of millimeters for a slow tilting, after some fligths you'll get used to it and find your ideal tilting speed/s. After just a week I was finally able to syncronize tilting with the drone vertical motion: while the drone climbs up the camera tilts down, thus keeping the subject at the center of the clip. It was hard with a 300ms delay, now that I have no delay it came out naturally.
Beware of things around the Mavic while you try out camera handling, i noticed that while training with the cam I was always looking into the display and almost never at the drone: every obstacle under, over, behind or next to the Mavic is a big risk while flying like this

I was in Sri Lanka for the last two weeks!

Go there every year for 3 weeks, usually stay down in Bentota.

The mavic is coming with me when I go back in January.
My avatar is the man we buy chilli cashews from on the beach there....

Reactions: Vilco
Hi,
That is awesome. I like Bentota.
My wife and I run a hotel in Negombo : Camelot Beach Hotel.
Its just 15 min from the airport.
Next time your in Sri Lanka you can stay with us.
Here's a quick compilation of my first flight. I didn't change the setting of the video to phone stream from 720p to 1080 so its max at 720p.

Short Through Go App

Long through movie maker

And @Vilco thank you for the tip.
Will definitely be getting more practice on the progressive reel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vilco
Good looking video Sabhai, and a vey kind offer, thankyou.

I'll not clog your thread with questions about Sri Lanka flying rules, so will start a seperate post as a reference for others thinking of travelling to your beautiful country.

Last edited:
I found recently on a flight that my Mavic was very slow when I started to return back to me (was not in RTH mode) from memory about 6kph. I could see that there were no obstacles in it's path, I was filming a super yacht over the water. I altered course a few degrees and it speed up to it's normal full forward speed. I deduced it must have been due to the Sun causing the obstacle avoidance to initiate. There was no warning within the app though. Had me worried for a few seconds.
Same thing happened yesterday although the app did warn me as expected. Gives you a bit of a fright. You're flying along at full tilt then the transmitter vibrates and beeps when you know there's nothing there.
I assume that DJI has the climb to avoid obstacles in RTH turned off in case it see's the Sun and keeps climbing?

Here's a quick compilation of my first flight. I didn't change the setting of the video to phone stream from 720p to 1080 so its max at 720p.

Looks like your mavic has a tilted horizon, it's not horizontal, and the sea usually tends to be quite horizontal :) Put the mavic on a horizontal surface and make it autocaibrate the gimbal, you'll fin it under settings (in the upper right of the smartphone screen) under the gimbal tab. Let it autocalibrate and retry

Cool, thank you I will definitely try it although when I calibrated the gimbal the first time the app asked me to, it was on a horizontal surface.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000