DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging Drone Battery causes house fire on ABC News this AM

If the Mavic batteries had a problem we would have heard about it by now.
I charge mine during the day when I am home but I get no more paranoid about it than I do for my IPhone or iPad.

Rob

Sigh.

No one said there was a problem with Mavic batteries! Just that all LiPo batteries require caution and preventative steps, despite designed in safety features. None are that far from catching fire if those safety features fail or a defect manifests this symptom over time, especially when charging.

DJI tells you to never leave a battery unattended while charging.

Don't charge it immediately after flight.

Don't charge it near flammable materials or flammable surfaces.....

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mav...lligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guides+(EN).pdf

I have a Lipo Safe bag but the Mavic multi-charger doesn't fit so I charge it on a non-combustable service where I can always see it. Overnight is asking for trouble.
I've four 3's Turnigy LiPo's that have puffed a bit (and stored outside) - this post makes we want to neutralise them and film it!

I am guilty of charging lipo batteries in my house although I do take precautions but the fact is even if you contain the fire your house is going to suffer major smoke damage. In reality charging them outside is by far the best bet but a pain most of us don't want.

Yikes - thanks for the warning. I've been totally ignoring the issue, tossing the batteries wherever amongst the junk on my work area. No more. I like the coffee mug idea.

Same here...never even thought about it. I plug my batteries in and just keep them on my desk where I have my tablet and phone charging as well.

Heres the kickstarter page and video that shows the Bat-Safe i referenced earlier working. Its designed to deal with the smoke thats emitted when a lipo catches fire. I am in no way affiliated with this company.

BAT-SAFE

Looks like theyre available thru hobby king for $46.

Bat-Safe LiPo battery charging safe box

A friend of my cousin's died in a house fire last week caused by mobile phone battery catching fire while charging. It really makes you think. I know the tech is different in Mavic batteries but if anything, they are even more dangerous. I will no longer charge them overnight or unsupervised. Its all very well throwing caution to the wind until it happens to you or someone you know.

Out of an abundance of caution I bought the Bat-Safe lipo charging box from a kickstarter campaign. Its supposed to suppress lipo fires and actually filter any toxic fumes. Theyre probably available for regular sale at this point.

I would never under any circumstance leave a lipo of any kind charging out of sight and not in arm's reach. NEVER!

So, you have your cell phone in sight and in arms reach EVERY TIME you charge it?

Caution is definitely warranted here, but I just remember the thousands of times we charged Lipo batteries for construction tools...cordless drills, drivers, etc. and never thought much of it. Never heard of one starting a fire.

Caution is definitely warranted here, but I just remember the thousands of times we charged Lipo batteries for construction tools...cordless drills, drivers, etc. and never thought much of it. Never heard of one starting a fire.

Neither have I but Ive seen at least half a dozen racing drone lipos light up after crashes. I nicked one with a razor knife trying to remove the wrapping from a 4S to convert it to a 3S and it lit up like a smoke bomb.

If you want to take the chance of your abode burning down do whatever is convenient for you....

I charge mine in a coffee mug, on a large ceramic tile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada