DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging the MP RC in the field - USB chargers enough?

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
In another thread, the discussion is raging (sort of) on how best to charge batteries in the field.

What if one wants to charge the RC battery in the field? How much current is needed?

Are there 12V -> USB chargers with enough current to charge the RC?

I'd say that there are no end of 12v --> USB chargers capable of charging the RC on the basis that the RC is unlikely to require more than the top end of USB Amperage which is typically 3A across the 5V on USB3.

That said, there are 3rd party Mavic Pro chargers, such as the YX for Mavic, that will concurrently charge up to 3 flight batteries, a phone and the RC itself. The latter at 5V 2A over the USB.

See 5 in1 Multi Intelligent Battery Charging Hub Charger for RC DJI Mavic Pro AM | eBay

Edit:
This lad measured 5V 1A pulled by the RC from a regular USB portable battery pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanTheBeast
any 5V source will charge it, that video linked above shows that you can't charge faster than at 1A (as the Mavic battery to power bank hub is rated at 2A per output and in the test it only pulled max 1A @ 5V), and I think the lowest USB output you'll generally see is 0.5A.

That's great - but I'm trying to avoid an inverter. Still - the price is quite good.
If you want to hop it off any DC source, any DC-DC 5V converter should do the trick so long as it is rated above 1A, even a BEC from an RC shop would do it. If you're stepping down from a battery above 5V then a step-down converter like this 5V @ 3A: 12V to 5V USB DC-DC Buck Converter Step Down Module Power Supply SH X1A3 H4N6

Or if you're stepping up, there are plenty of cheap step-up modules for a couple of dollars on ebay too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun