DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check out these self leveling mavic skids

That does seem pricey at $50 and the one thing about the Magic is the portability and this looks like just one more thing to have to carry around in your bag. If there was a way to make something like this and still be able to fold up the Mavic, that would be better!

Whilst I like and admire the out the box thinking I do feel this is a little overkill. Bulky, makes the Mavic look like a flying tank and overpriced. Still I am sure he will still sell hundreds :)

...the one thing about the Magic is the portability...
Yep! Another guy has made click-on the legs. Sort of slides over existing legs...Easy on and off and small and tidy.

I really like it, but like one of you said, it won't fit in my bag. But it's a great solution and well designed. Kudos to the inventor.

The price is high, but I have a 3D printer and I can tell you that that would be at least a six hour print plus cleanup. Plus, not every print works. 3D printing not that straight forward yet. If I got 20 orders I would loose my mind. You would have to have them manufactured. So I'm guessing he just calculated his costs and added what extra would make it worth it.

Anyway, if you are reading this, Mr Invertor, consider this part of your market research. Sounds like people think it's a bit too bulky and the price point is too high. Perhaps reduce your material (makes it lighter and cheaper) and perhaps foldable.

Love the concept.

Hope that's helpful.

Reactions: Randy
Looks like a tank overkill
Yup. That's exactly what I need. A set of landing that's almost as big as the Mavic itself! Seriously?

LOL you could make something smaller than this along the same idea, (4) lolly pop sticks or the large one's that the doc puts in your mouth (6) of the gimble shock absorbers. (2) strips of Velcro's top and bottom. to attach to the Mavic bottom. You can tell I am old and watched blue peter lol. Oh I forgot 6 match sticks to keep the shock absorbers in place.

I can see what the creator intended and it makes some sense but I see some issues;

The landing skids while providing a larger footprint also causes problems. Using the Phantom line as an example, Phantoms basically have a long landing skid which if a small rock or irregularity sits under the middle of the skid will make the Drone unstable. Polarpro remedied this by making their Landing Gear which uses four points of contact which remedies irregular terrain (They have a good video of what it overcomes). A good example of the problem with skids is when the OP is trying to set it on the pink block. He has to re-position it several time to get it to sit squarely otherwise its "teetering" or sliding off which you don't want as sliding off before powering off may have the Mavic's processors thinking there is something wrong with its landing angle causing it to do something bad like pitch over...

Looking at what the sids do is basically raise the rear of the Mavic. The front still sits on stock "legs". So your camera/gimbal is no higher off the ground than stock. I think if I was interested in protecting sensitive parts, I'd also do something to protect the gimbal..

I agree the skid unit is quite large. As other have stated its another thing to fit into to carrying case/bag. Starts to defeat what I feel is one of the biggest pluses of the Mavic is its compact size.

I think "leg extenders" are really the way to go. Less expensive and does the intended job...

Really nice looking and seems to help with landings but I do not think people are taking into account the extra weight and the wind loading.

The Mavic's programming is designed around certain parameters, one of the big ones is the weight. If you add something like this to the mix you not only lose range and flight time but it also throws off some of it's internal calculations. Normally not a problem but can be if your running the battery to the ragged edge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu