DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checking in from Tampa FL

Pegasus1

Reactions
Hi everyone, just received the Mavic last week after several loooong months wait. DJI finally got back to work after Chinese New Year :eek:. It has definitely been worth the wait. This is my 2nd drone. I grabbed a Hubsan H502e mainly as a cheap trainer. Kind of a mistake, as the brushed motors don't last, you'll just throw money at it in parts. Fun, at a price.

But, back to the Mavic! So far, I've logged 3 flight sessions. The maiden voyage was fantastic. 4k video was rich and immersive, gimbal and camera rock-steady even with some buffeting winds, you don't see it at ALL. Super smooth, started out in Beginner, then felt confident enough to venture away a bit. Went out 1/2 mile or so, FPV is great, got some great footage and practiced RTH a few times. All works as advertised.

Next 2 flights, I had problems with garbled, streaky FPV feed, image breakup on my phone. Using the provided short USB C cable. Tried changing video channel freq settings to no avail. WTF is going on? None of this the first time! You could barely see what was happening to figure out how to fly by the video signal. DJI Go4 showed great signal, never disconnected or dropped the signal, just total crap, laggy, glitchy smeared video. I was not happy. Actual footage saved to microSD card shows none of this mess, just the FPV is hosed.

I chatted with a DJI rep tonight, he had me re-link the controller to the Mavic. This seems like it may have fixed it, walked around the house with it and looked OK, but will try flying it again tomorrow. Also, I switched to using the center USB port instead of the side cable. Others have found this solves problems like this. Makes you crazy when stuff like this happens!

Anyway, a lot to be learned and a great machine to take you to fantastic places! I'll have to get some clips up soon after I grind through rendering some 4k scenes.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. If your new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

Thanks, looks like a great buncha guyz here with lots of experience

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Here's some great footage from my very first flight session. Check out the video below, please critique and add your suggestions, I'm totally open for criticism and comments to improve my flight skills and shots!

I'm getting to know the MP better every day, I try to visit new locations and have discovered a lot of new ideas, and solved a problem I thought was going to be serious, but I think has turned out to be simply a software adjustment.

On the first flight, I simply let the Mavic record in 4k to the card. After that, I tried using AirShou to record the Nexus 6P's Android screen to also get a view of the Go4 app's display for review and flight analysis. Suddenly, I started getting MAJOR video display garbage and digital breakup. Oh s*#t. I didn't know what was going on. It was happening almost as soon as I started up and lifted off. Do I have a bad USB side cable? Is there interference around me? Tried switching all the display options, nothing changed. Crap. Recorded clips to the card were fine. Happened on several flights.

Yesterday I think I found out why. I took off and did NOT use AirShou.....no more problem! Crystal clear reception all the way. I tried it again, the problem returned. Now I have one more check to make, but I think the issue is this - the recording bitrate in Airshou is set to a default of 8 mb/s @ 720p. I thought the extra bitrate load may be overloading the phone's GPU and causing the display corruption. I'll have to add an example of what that looks like for comparison. Today I'm going to try reducing the bitrate to 4 or even 2 mb/s. The Nexus 6P is a high-end phone running Android Nougat 7.1.1. It is similar in size, display and specs to the iPhone 7Plus.

I also have switched over to using the center USB input on the controller, but that did not affect the problem caused by AirShou when turning it on or off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blades
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S