DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clipped a prop.. how serious is it?

dex_

Reactions
I was flying too quarters for the wind level (and my skill level). The Mavic was slowly drifting backwards and ran into the side of some metal equipment. It was still flying, but I'm not sure if it was any less stable (it was windy, and I quickly landed it soon after).

Upon inspection, it seems that the back right prop just grazed the metal siding. I've attached pictures of the top, bottom, and straight on. While it's hard to see anything with the top view, you can see the wear in the straight on picture.

So... how bad is it? I'm inclined to carefully test on a calm day and keep using it if the hovering stability is still solid. Is that a bad idea? Should I just junk this prop?

IMG_0122.jpg IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0124.jpg

Edit: here's a picture of the thing I ran into. Tip of index finger for scale.
IMG_0128.JPG

Last edited:
Prop failures are nasty. I would junk it. You are risking the whole drone for a part that costs $5.

That said, I have a hard time throwing away things that might be spare parts later (for the apocalypse or something - heh). If you are mechanical, then keep your junked props and use them to build intact ones - keeping in mind that you are betting your drone on the results.

I did a careful flight test and it seemed to fly fine. But you're right - comparing $10 vs. $1000, I think I'll be on the safe side and replace the prop. If I ever do have flight troubles, I'd rather not wonder if it was because I insisted on flying with this prop (while I still had pristine spares that came in the box!).

Thanks geigy!

Prop failures are nasty. I would junk it. You are risking the whole drone for a part that costs $5.

That said, I have a hard time throwing away things that might be spare parts later (for the apocalypse or something - heh). If you are mechanical, then keep your junked props and use them to build intact ones - keeping in mind that you are betting your drone on the results.

I agree

By the way, it doesn't show the video he shot while his props were clipped. I bet you he was getting a lot of vibration and possibly a prop loose message.

I was honestly surprised by how tough it is.. the IMU seems to be running a very good closed loop on the stabilization.. and you can apparently do a little bit of landscaping with your Mavic ;)

I was honestly surprised by how tough it is.. the IMU seems to be running a very good closed loop on the stabilization.. and you can apparently do a little bit of landscaping with your Mavic ;)

Me too. If that was an old style heli, it would have crashed and burned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98