DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Club 3-Mile

I feel like flying my Mavic 3 miles out is like driving my car on the road. I have insurance for both... bad things that can happen. You're taking a chance in both cases.

A van I would understand. I probably wouldn't do it in a van. You probably couldn't if you wanted to without reprogramming. Only did it once in my 2012 GMC Sierra truck, and only after using a programmer to disable the "nanny" 95mph speed limiter feature. After you have been over a hundred miles an hour the thrill is lessened the next time. After you've done it dozens of times chasing bad guys in a prior job it does nothing for you at all I can tell you first hand.

The 3 mile thing I'd only do once with my Mavic. Too many things causing interference where I'm at
Check the link below for the tower locations:
CellReception | Find a better signal.

Misspoke, a SUV I'm driving. Years ago RX7 Mazda, highway clear, except Police radar car on overpass, clocked at 123 mph. Police arrived at men's church meeting arresteing, complete with hand cuffs. How embarrassing!
Family and in laws in law enforcement...Not a good experience.
2300 cc Triumph Rocket Roadster, never had the gonads to completely open throttle from dead stop.
Zoom zoom safely

Misspoke, a SUV I'm driving. Years ago RX7 Mazda, highway clear, except Police radar car on overpass, clocked at 123 mph. Police arrived at men's church meeting arresteing, complete with hand cuffs. How embarrassing!
Family and in laws in law enforcement...Not a good experience.
2300 cc Triumph Rocket Roadster, never had the gonads to completely open throttle from dead stop.
Zoom zoom safely

Certainly there's a time and place for it all :) Too bad that one didn't work out, I can imagine the embarrassment.
When I was in law enforcement the department generally allowed you to arrest someone for exceeding 100mph. In an RX7 on a clear road IMO a citation would have sufficed. A radar detector helps but still got to be careful. Laser LIDAR guns and sometime aircraft (hmm maybe even speed drones someday! ha) are almost undetectable - until its too late. Good to ride the road out first to scope it out. We have a 3+ mile stretch of highway that's solid woods both sides and no cross streets people used to drag race on when I was in high school. It was a good spot to test run new vehicles and motorcycles. Bet the 2300cc Triump is a beast...

Certainly there's a time and place for it all :) Too bad that one didn't work out, I can imagine the embarrassment.
When I was in law enforcement the department generally allowed you to arrest someone for exceeding 100mph. In an RX7 on a clear road IMO a citation would have sufficed. A radar detector helps but still got to be careful. Laser LIDAR guns and sometime aircraft (hmm maybe even speed drones someday! ha) are almost undetectable - until its too late. Good to ride the road out first to scope it out. We have a 3+ mile stretch of highway that's solid woods both sides and no cross streets people used to drag race on when I was in high school. It was a good spot to test run new vehicles and motorcycles. Bet the 2300cc Triump is a beast...

Now days I drive speed limit on cruise control. After unscheduled dismount went from Triumph motorcycle to BMW 128 i convertible ( sun damage on bald head) to Moreno SUV.
In 50 mph zone DUI driver crossed center line hit me on my Triumph. After a few seconds I was unconscious and kept in a coma for nine days. I had two cardiac arrest before being flown to Seattle Harbor View hospital where I spent 21/2 mounts and received nine surgeries then four months in two different physical rehab facilities. Two more months before I could walk upstairs to my bedroom. Hospital called me "Miracle Man." I am blessed to be alive and enjoy more then most every day.

Reactions: ICHOTT
Now days I drive speed limit on cruise control. After unscheduled dismount went from Triumph motorcycle to BMW 128 i convertible ( sun damage on bald head) to Moreno SUV.
In 50 mph zone DUI driver crossed center line hit me on my Triumph. After a few seconds I was unconscious and kept in a coma for nine days. I had two cardiac arrest before being flown to Seattle Harbor View hospital where I spent 21/2 mounts and received nine surgeries then four months in two different physical rehab facilities. Two more months before I could walk upstairs to my bedroom. Hospital called me "Miracle Man." I am blessed to be alive and enjoy more then most every day.

DUI drivers are really lucky they don't get far worse charges and prison time than they do. Down here it takes about three convictions before they serve 6 months. Costs them a lot each time but some don't seem to learn.

Second DUI for gentlemen who hit me. Six months jail time. Same time it took me to learn to walk again.

So I finally did it. I wasn't even trying. I was chasing a train from above when I noticed I was out almost 2 miles and had plenty of battery left so I went for it. I received the notice about only having enough juice to get back home but I knew the light wind was favorable for the return so I kept going. I made it out to 16138 feet before turning around and after returning back still had over 5 min of flight time left so I flew around a little more before landing with a total trip distance of 7.1 miles, 37,884 feet total. I had 23% batt remaining and 2:50 time. It was in P-mode with the obstacle avoidance off so the top speed was just over 32MPH.

So I finally did it. I wasn't even trying. I was chasing a train from above when I noticed I was out almost 2 miles and had plenty of battery left so I went for it. I received the notice about only having enough juice to get back home but I knew the light wind was favorable for the return so I kept going. I made it out to 16138 feet before turning around and after returning back still had over 5 min of flight time left so I flew around a little more before landing with a total trip distance of 7.1 miles, 37,884 feet total. I had 23% batt remaining and 2:50 time. It was in P-mode with the obstacle avoidance off so the top speed was just over 32MPH.

That's great! Did you fly back manually or RTH?

In my case I returned by RTH which was a mistake considering the unseen obstacles. Such obstacles in my flights case were, the app dictates the flight speed based on altitude, headwind, and a non-existing airport location. Had the aircraft maintained at least a consistent 21mph it should have made it back ok.

That's great! Did you fly back manually or RTH?

In my case I returned by RTH which was a mistake considering the unseen obstacles. Such obstacles in my flights case were, the app dictates the flight speed based on altitude, headwind, and a non-existing airport location. Had the aircraft maintained at least a consistent 21mph it should have made it back ok.

I flew back manually. I think I have only touched the RTH button two or three times since I got it. And that was just to show off the feature to other people.

I flew back manually. I think I have only touched the RTH button two or three times since I got it. And that was just to show off the feature to other people.

For the most part the RTH feature has been awesome to have and use. My best use of it is when returning back from a long flight away in distance. It allows me to Yaw the aircraft in any direction providing a hands free effect so I can video, take pic's, and/or zoom control.

Was your flight over land or water?

The flight was completely over land. I'm too scared to fly over water. I have seen too many videos of drones going into the drink!!

I live in the desert so there isint much water around! ;)

Well if you ever encounter any dont worry just fly. When I first started flying drones it scared the crap out of me to fly over water, now i fly over rivers,lakes and marshes without even batting an eye.

A river being my nearest and favorite flying location, I will web search drone into water videos. Only seen two. Nevertheless flying my "piggyback" over water is an adrenaline rush.

A river being my nearest and favorite flying location, I will web search drone into water videos. Only seen two. Nevertheless flying my "piggyback" over water is an adrenaline rush.
Youtube has a bunch of compilation videos of them going into the drink. And continuing to record! I see your in Tri Cities. Ill be in Walla Walla at the end of July.

Last edited:
Good to learn about "getterback" recovery device. I live by and fly over Columbia river. Flying from near river without a way to get to river downed drone, I would still be up river without a paddle. Wondering percent wet drones are pilot error or Mavic malfunction?

What brings you to Walla Walla? I find W.W. to be an welcoming, enjoyable community. Retains small town feel.

Good to learn about "getterback" recovery device. I live by and fly over Columbia river. Flying from near river without a way to get to river downed drone, I would still be up river without a paddle. Wondering percent wet drones are pilot error or Mavic malfunction?

What brings you to Walla Walla? I find W.W. to be an welcoming, enjoyable community. Retains small town feel.
Ill be down there with the old lady. She has family there and her best friends son is turning 16. I will look forward to shooting some new scenery.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters